Unichip Dyno/Tune Results.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
DavidPIL

Unichip Dyno/Tune Results.

Post by DavidPIL »

This is a copy of a thread where I asked for insight in getting my Unichip custom-tuned. What I failed to mention there is that this is with a K&N SR Intake and a custom exhaust with 2.5" piping, High Flow Magnaflow Converter, Flowmaster Hushpower II Muffler (in place of 2 resonators) and a Flowmaster Dual out Series 80 Muffler.--------I finally got it dyno-tuned but I wasn't very happy with the overall experience. Apparently, the guy didn't know much about the A/B mapping thing. He did the tuning on "B" only and said there isn't that much of a difference between the 2 maps so just keep it on "B".The charts don't make that much sense to me either. The guy told me to take it home, look it over and if I have any questions to let him know. I figured I could get more responses here than with him so here it is.This first chart shows 5 runs, though I know he did more. First 3 runs were before tuning, last 2 were after. He leaned it out a little as in the right graph. My gains in torque were minimal, and it seems I now have a loss in the low end. I do notice a distinct pull in the 3500-3800 range while driving. No overly noticeable drop in pull below that though.Here is the basic before and after HP/Torque graph. I would have expected higher numbers all around, but I know the weighting is different for actual HP/Torque and rated HP/Torque.Any thoughts or input on the numbers would be greatly appreciated.Dave
tcam

Re: Unichip Dyno/Tune Results. (DavidPIL)

Post by tcam »

that's cool that u got a dyno done, I've wanted to do that for a long time. I would've guessed maybe 180hp for ur set-up though. The Unichip gains don't seem that significant.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

most dynos will show at the wheel power and tq, not at the crank. the 03 Vibe GT was rated at 180 hp at the CRANK, not wheels.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
kevera

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by kevera »

It looks like the unichip gave you some nice gains.Not as much as I might have expected,but enough.Do you think they could have more aggressive with their tune?
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
DavidPIL

Re: (kevera)

Post by DavidPIL »

The Dyno was done on a machine attached to the hub, not with the wheels on rollers so I guess that's supposed to give a more accurate graph. I have either heard on here or while researching this some time ago that there is about a 15% difference from the flywheel to the wheel in terms of the numbers.. So that would be around 200 HP and 149 Torque? Which isn't bad at all. My concern was more in the Torque graph on page 1 where it seemed the pre-tune low end was better than the post-tune but on page 2, the torque was higher across the graph on the post-tune.I was also not happy with the experience because it seemed that when I asked questions, specifically about the a/b maps and even when I posed a simple question about the meaning of one of the graphs, the response seemed to be geared to be non-specific. Also when I went to get into my car afterwards, the glove box wasn't put back in place, was sitting on the floorboard. It was also pulled out, not detached from the screw holding it to that little plastic thing on the right side. I had even told the guy when he went out to look at it, "You need a philips screwdriver to take the glove-box out". He did not listen.So far I'm happy with the end result. I have a more noticeable kick at around the 3.5-3.8 rpm range and my mpg doesn't seem to be negatively affected. Fueled up last night with the 8 or so runs of the dyno-tune on the tank and came out with 30.8mpg. Hopefully that will be consistent in the long run as well.Dave
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

All the runs were with the Chip, correct? This is stock chip vs custom tune. Looks like Lift should hit much harder.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

wow sorry about that bad experience. I would be irritated to with them. You pay a crap load of money and get some guy that doesnt know wth to do...lame.At least you got some gains, but maybe at a better dyno shop you could even get it tuned better. I figured map A was for fuel econ and B for power....or thats what id want.
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

He did fine by tuning for B. The difference in the 2 maps is only advance. There's only one shared fuel map so you can't really tune for both. Mao A is basically in case you have knock or timing retard. May come in handy if B is at the edge and you've got the air on with the car at near max load.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

This was an Authorized and Trained Unichip tuner right? I'm surprised he didn't know about the different maps and that he wasn't able to give you a better tune.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
DavidPIL

Re: Unichip Dyno/Tune Results. (BlueCrush)

Post by DavidPIL »

Blue,I got the address from Unichip's site so I think they only listed authorized dealers. My issues with the place probably had a lot to do with the fact that they had just moved within the month or so. I still think customer respect should prevail over the issues of a move... or at least apologize up front for anything that might not be right. My beefs are minor though.Goodvibe,All runs were with the chip in. the first 3 (red/green/dk blue) were base runs, the other 2 were post tuning. The graph only shows the 5 runs but there were at least 8 runs to red-line. Yeah, I would have thought lift would have shown up on the graph a lot stronger. It sure sounded like more of a boost.You may remember I had my exhaust done last year which is why I needed the custom tune. After that, B map was giving me better MPG and what seemed to be better oomph too. I really didn't like the set-up though. Had 2 resonators and a dual out muffler. The 2nd resonator wa added after I went back to the shop because I had issue with interior resonance at 3.2k rpm (My usually highway cruising rpm) It was loud. The shop owner put on the second resonator for free, unfortunately, he put on the wrong size (too small compared to the piping).a month or so back I had some extra money and decided to research a cheap alternative. Talked to BlueCrush a little about his cat-guttng but that would have been just as loud, if not more so than before. Decided the have the 2 resonators removed for a Hushpower II muffler. This set-up sounds perfect! but I noticed the map mpg's seemed to have flip flopped. I notice a smoother accel but map A now had bad mpg (25-27 hw) and B was very good (29-32 hw). I needed the tuneage.I think I will live with this then maybe find a place to give me a base-line dyno so I can see how the numbers compare. I'm not complaining about the results at all. The experience sucked though and that taints my impression of what I see on the graphs.BTW, I'm working on getting pics up so I should have some in the Garage soon.Dave
prathman

Post by prathman »

Curious why the second chart only goes up to 7000 rpm at which point the HP curve is still clearly rising. Usually power/torque tests are done up to an rpm level that is clearly past the HP peak. The curve shown appears to have gotten the peak torque, but not the peak HP.
DavidPIL

Re: Unichip Dyno/Tune Results. (prathman)

Post by DavidPIL »

Hey prathman,yeah, the guy doing the tuning said that he works mainly off the torque. Not sure totally what that means but that is probably why the graph stops when the peak torque is met. Again, I was new to this stuff so I just said "Ok" to him as if I understood, which I guess I did to some degree.Dave
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by DavidPIL »yeah, the guy doing the tuning said that he works mainly off the torque. Not sure totally what that means but that is probably why the graph stops when the peak torque is met.It means that neither he nor you now know how much power your engine can generate. I'd think that would be a bit of information you'd like to get from the dyno test.
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

Torque is all you need but it applies to all RPM and the graph should go out to 8k as they do for the torque curves. Hp equals Torque x RPM divided by 5252. You can always calculate the HP from torque and is actually what dynos do.
rhitme03

Re: (goodvibe)

Post by rhitme03 »

Interesting to see how that worked out. I installed my unichip and stayed with the included factory programming... Didn't notice much at the top end, but it really seemed to help the low end... I noticed that the "B" map would throw a CEL on certain gas or extended periods of thrashing... Overall a great product though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Vibe GT w/ 93,000 Trouble-Free Miles <SOLD> ($8500)FS: Set of Snows on Steel Wheels ($150) <SOLD>FS: Unichip for Vibe GT ($450 OBO) <SOLD>FS: Yakima Setup - 2 Bikes Upright ($350)dpgallagher@msn.com
DavidPIL

Re: (rhitme03)

Post by DavidPIL »

rhitme,Yeah, I am very happy with the initial install. Noticed a major improvement in starting from a dead stop and yet I didn't see any decrease in mileage at all. Now I'm noticing more pull in the 3.5k+ range.With my custom exhaust, I felt it to be important to tune it though. I had noticed Map A was causing a major decrease in MPG (about 10%) and Map B sometimes threw a CEL. Before the exhaust, neither map threw CELs and both were about the same in MPG. Of course, you don't buy a performance chip to gain MPG but it was nice to see.I'm still in the "Testing" phase now to see how the settings work. So far Map B, which is what it was tuned on, gave me a HW MPG of 30.8. Now I have mixed 50% HW/50% City and it looks to be around 28 or so. Have a couple 300+ mile trips planned in October so I'll be able to get a good sampling of both maps.Dave