noise! test pipe!

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
wyatt89

noise! test pipe!

Post by wyatt89 »

Finally i am having a test pipe welded on right after the 2nd o2 sensor!!!im not gonna uncork it in the city but since there are endless dirt roads in my new home im gonna unleash it when i go on them i tried to get the shop to do a cat delete but they said it was illegal...and a high flow is too expensive for me...im interested to see that thing will sound like when it is dumped off the pass side anyone else ever done this?
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
ajflan

Re: noise! test pipe! (wyatt89)

Post by ajflan »

Thats awesome! Most people will tell you that it will sound like crap, but don't listen to them. I actually have an exhaust sitting around that I have yet to install (I don't know why I am taking so long). It's all 2 1/4 mandrel bent stainless, and I will be doing a cat delete. Right now I have no resonator and a borla muffler, and it sounds awesome. Let me know how it goes!
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
wyatt89

Re: noise! test pipe! (ajflan)

Post by wyatt89 »

yah, your set up sounds pretty awesome but i dont have the money. im just afraid of the melting of my sideskirt where the cap is at if its open it should sound like a hoss though!!!so i suppose nobody on here has ever done this?
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

I don't think anybody has. I might be wrong, but I'm almost positive that I'm not. You will be a pioneer!
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

haha, sadly... it will be loud i know that for sure...it will make me feel better because people always run straights off their diesel trucks and its loud as hell. i want to be able to pull up next to them and destroy their ears for once i was kidding of course, i mean no harm
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

Oh yeah will it be loud! A lot of people will say it is "ricey", but no matter how hard you try it will not sound like a piece of crap old civic. Thats why I am doing a cat delete. When I drive like a pansy it will be loud but not obnoxious, but I want it to scream when I hammer on it!
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

agreed man, i love hearing what an engine is supposed to sound likewho needs ozone anyways i cant wait to hear what it will sound like when it hits lift w0000000t!its literally gonna scream at 8500should make it feel more like rally racing than panzy dirt roading
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I haven't done much of anything to the Vibe, but, my Subaru on the other hand... I drove that for 4 days with the cat-back OFF... It stops right between the front seats... Talk about a RUSH, WOT that thing SCREAMED... I did lose most of my low end power, which is what is going to happen to you... Small N/A engines NEED some backpressure for scavangeing, going to big on the pipe is counter-productive... I had a 2.5" pipe on my 2.5l Impreza (N/A not turbo) and hated it... After that rotted, i got a 2.25" pipe.. same thing, hated it.... Finally i went with a 2" pipe (stock size, better bends) and the car LOVED it.. i got almost all my low end back... Something to consider...
wyatt89

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by wyatt89 »

hrm, didnt think too much about that....the test dumps off after the cat and resonator though because i didnt want any codes with the 2nd O2 sensor...i donno if the stock cat will be enough to hold some back pressure...?the car is almost useless in bottom end to begin with so it cant be much of a difference
Sublimewind

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by wyatt89 »hrm, didnt think too much about that....the test dumps off after the cat and resonator though because i didnt want any codes with the 2nd O2 sensor...i donno if the stock cat will be enough to hold some back pressure...?the car is almost useless in bottom end to begin with so it cant be much of a difference Well, like i said, i haven't done much to the Vibe but clean it... so it MAY work out for you, but, i'm going to have to say i doubt it... Again, i have not an idea though, so don't listen to me....
ajflan

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by ajflan »

The resonator does not make any difference in emissions, it is simply there to reduce noise. Its about a foot and a half long and is under the middle if the car. It's just a long straight through muffler.
wyatt89

Re: (ajflan)

Post by wyatt89 »

so essentially the resonator wont have any back pressure?
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

i did that. took out the res right behind my o2 sensor. very loud. i was told it sounds like a croutch rocket on interstate. i liked it but i got a cheap one and the vavle itself leaked so i had to take it off to pass inspection
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
wyatt89

Re: (Raivis)

Post by wyatt89 »

mine isnt going to be valved, its just gonna be a flange and when i want it uncapped i will just unbolt it
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

A way around that cat-delete is to have them cut your pipe and put in a flange. THAT is not illegal and you can just remove it when you get home. Edit: NM, just saw your post. That is the easiest way. I have it the same on my truck, That 454 gets LOUD with nothing but a Flowmaster!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

i use to work with someone who had a cheap little stock civic 1.6L and his exaust was very loud, louder than if he had nothing, and it wasnt a good loud either. strait pipes i think sound great for a low rpm torque car. just some thoughts
wyatt89

Re: (manicdan)

Post by wyatt89 »

yes they do sound good some torque monsters, my friends camaro ss has the exhaust dumped off right after his cats and it sounds amazing especially when you add a lopey cam to the picture :Dobviously the vibe wont be anywhere near as cool sounding *shrug*
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I vote for retaining a functional catalytic converter to reduce pollution
wyatt89

Re: (joatmon)

Post by wyatt89 »

thats what im doing, plus it would be sooooooooo loud if it dumped off the headers and it would smell bad every time i stopped my car