You're doing what to a Vibe?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Petrucci914

You're doing what to a Vibe?

Post by Petrucci914 »

Anybody hear this said to you almost every day? I'm getting a little sick of it. I've gotten it for basically everything I've done. Not really my family, but friends and co-workers. Somehow everyone thinks in order to mod a car you must have a Corvette, Camaro, or a Mustang. What is up with that BS? Repeatedly telling me it's a grocery getter......they just don't understand. And besides, who really cares? If I drive a Geo Metro but want to make it more fun to drive every day then what the hell is wrong with that? Feel free to vent with me.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Uh +1 to that. I get that crap ALL the time too. I still go..umm and you drive? and your mpg? and I get ? yeah.... exactly.
Petrucci914

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

I often wonder if they'd give us the same **** if it was a Toyota Matrix. But, as Jay once said:[Edited for Inappropriate Content]
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

hahha, if it was a matrix we'd get called "ricers" or something similar...fast and furious want a be's or something. Everyone I talk to doesnt even know the vibe has a corolla drive train! OH and in the mnsportcompact club in duluth there is a toyota salesman...he said the vibe and matrix are totally different and have different engines! i was like..mmm nooo they are the same...look at my engine :/ see those TRD parts...yeah..or that jap writing? yeah..toyota!I think people just see the wagon and think "modding" it is worthless...
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I'm surprised by the lack of knowledge sales people have at dealerships. I went with my brother once to test drive a Vibe GT and I was explaining things about the engine and lift, and he had no idea any of it. He then test drove a Base Vibe 5-Speed (2003) and the lady was saying "ya, and it's nice to have a car that's not in its first year of manufacturing because those have problems." My brother's reply, "Uh, 2003 is the first year they were made." How do people sell cars and know nothing about them?And as for ricers, I dunno. If we had some cheap welded muffler on there and a cheap intake then maybe. But pull up with a Matrix with a SC and a full TRD/Magnaflow exhaust and I'm sure you'd get some props......now a Vibe.......I guess that's a different story.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well I meant that just being a toyota people call them ricers for just being a import. Yeah lack of knowlegdge (removed) I go to dealerships all the time with my friend to look at new cars, specially when he was looking for his cobalt SS SC. WOW they didnt know crap about it, one salesman said its turbo charged... well the cheap muffler from checker on any car sounds like blah, but ohhhhh a SC vibe/trix..thats sexy.
drunkenmaxx

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (Petrucci914)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

don't feel bad man, i modded a malibu maxx LT! you can't get much more family style grocery getter than that!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Sublimewind

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »don't feel bad man, i modded a malibu maxx LT! you can't get much more family style grocery getter than that!Dude, you SOOOOOOO need some "woody" trim for that G-getter.... lolers...
drunkenmaxx

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (Sublimewind)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i already have some on the inside! (it comes with it)
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
ajflan

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by ajflan »

I hear this crap daily. My favorite is when someone says something like: "That car looks really good! What is it?" Then I say "a Pontiac Vibe." Then they reply with "hahahahaha you're driving a girly car." They always like it before they know what it is.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

well, my buddy's LGT wagon is the ultimate sleeper car. it's a WAGON.. but it's hella fast!really, i think the vibe looks pretty sporty as for small cars. that's why i bought mine back in 03. i still love the look of the 03/04 models. just didn't have some of the features I now need. however, I do miss ours and mine.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ajflan

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by ajflan »

I love my Vibe. My only problem is that it's not really a sleeper, because it never really wakes up and goes.(bad play on words. )
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

Modding anything is personal taste. Hell if the PT club in Sarnia can do this and have a weekly meet under the Bluewater bridge then damn it so can I. I used to be on the "You want to do what to the wagon" Its the members here that made me realize that this car was not a bad choice. Most of my co-workers aready know that I am nuts and my family is all the same. If they do not like it then they have some choices Don't look at it and Don't ride in it. Right now my two favourite bumper stickers are:Friends just don't let friends drive stock.You just got owned by a wagon
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
breezd

Post by breezd »

I get crap all the time. People calling it the "family car" or "the grocery getter". But most are pretty impressed when they go for a ride in it.I've owned the Vibe since March. Up until about a week ago, I had never let anyone drive it. My friend that drove it (drives a modded Talon Tsi) was quite impressed, especially when he discovered lift.But then he kept calling it Vtec, not VVTL-I, and I corrected him every time... "This is not some POS Honda!!"
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
wyatt89

Re: (chevelle_lover)

Post by wyatt89 »

at least the pt cruiser has some serious (removed) as long as you get the 2.4l turbo those are pretty quickpeople seem to like my vibe because i usually tell them that its fun as hell to drive and it gets good mileage...you may go from 0-60 in 4.8seconds with a s/c cobra but you are still getting like 12mpg...*shrug*everything has its trade offs and its haters
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
Lancer

Re: (wyatt89)

Post by Lancer »

Quote, originally posted by wyatt89 »at least the pt cruiser has some serious (removed) as long as you get the 2.4l turbo those are pretty quickNo, they don't. About the same as a 'stock' vibe w/ a supercharger. Or a 'stock Jetta 1.8T. Really fun to drive, though!The last time my car got talk down to was right after I scared the be-jessus out of 3 guys on crotch rockets. Was coming up on a red light and saw it was about to change. Just as it did I gunned it with the first 'new' exhaust. Scared the one gy so bad that he almost tipped over. They chased me down purty quick then saw what my car was and were giving me crap about how I shouln't be wasting my money on a POS wagon and get a better car to mod. I just laughed at them and asked what they drove. I didn't get any answer back. I used to get it all the time until I beat them. Then they're all "WOW, that thing is fast, what's in there?"Who cares what other's think. If your happy , then do what you want.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Of course of all people on here you know I get plenty of that! lol
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

Talking about people’s assumptions about cars and the Geo Metro – I happen to own a 2000 Metro (Chevy). They are faster than people think (mine is the 1.3L engine). From stop with the pedal to the floor it is just fractionally slower than the base Vibe (both autos). I have never measured the top speed on the Metro as it is off the dial but I once floored it on the freeway when I had my GPS unit in there and it was still gaining speed at 107mph when I had to back off due to upcoming traffic.When on the freeway in the Metro people sometime move into the left lane to pass me assuming that I cannot hold speed on steep gradients. In the end they are the ones who cannot keep up..LOLEven for the Metro mods are available such as Turbos but are not as easy to find as for other models.
'07 Vibe
wyatt89

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (blue_can)

Post by wyatt89 »

ive seen the might of the metro!!my friend had one of the old suzuki swifts with the 1.0 turbo and he modded it and managed to get like 80hp to the wheels and that thing was friggin fast for what it was!! it was pretty ghetto though
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
tcam

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (wyatt89)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »Who cares what other's think. If your happy , then do what you want.+1 that's definately the way I try to think about it.IMO, having a sleeper car is more fun than a flashy sports car. I like both, but destroying other cars that assume they will own you is the best feeling in the world. The other day I was fooling around with a modified EVO VIII from 50mph rolls, and several times I stayed dead even with him up until....(high speeds) when I let off. lol. Then, when we were done, he was too embarrassed to get next to me at every light we hit. He would intentionally avoid me. I found it pretty funny
ajflan

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (tcam)

Post by ajflan »

He was not trying, or you would have been smoked. No offense, but its a modded EVO.
tcam

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (ajflan)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »He was not trying, or you would have been smoked. No offense, but its a modded EVO.no, an EVOVIII is rediculously fast from a dig because of the AWD, but from a roll it's not that impressive. Especially if you get the turbo lag just right. My friend says on his RSX forum that people with a few bolt-ons on a Type-S will beat an EVOVIII everytime from a roll. And I've beaten multiple Type-S'. This guy was going all out guaranteed. His backfires were loud as heck, and I could hear the turob spooling up everytime.
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

I guess that just surprises me. I trust ya though.
tcam

Post by tcam »

I was also in lift the entire time downshifting into 3rd and going all they way through 4th
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

The turbo lag is probably what killed him. That would have been great to see!
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by ajflan »The turbo lag is probably what killed him. That would have been great to see!lol, oh definately. turbo lag sucks. but yes it was for sure one of my most memorable car experiences ever. I was bragging to my friends the next day lol
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I thought professional turbo jobs didn't have lag and that lag is a result of a poor setup and tune?
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

i doubt he started in top gear so he would have been spooled...there shouldnt have been much if any turbo lag...he might have been screwing with you...i mean honestly a stock evo makes +-300 at the crank and a vibegt makes about 180 to the crank, you said it was modded so that would be up quite a bit...either he was racing you in top gear for kicks or he was just screwin around...
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

I don't get that at all with the Trix. Most everyone that has seen my car has complimented me on how cool it looks and they area amazed that it has AWD and the leather wrapped wheel and all the amenities. I'm glad I got the 6 disc in dash and moonroof along with the body kit and fogs. It really finished the car off. But back on track, I get lots of compliments and people tend to take a good look at her, especially when she's all shiny clean.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

There is always going to some lag, especially with fmic's, and from the way he was backfiring, he may have had a poor tune as well. I know a guy with a 425 hp STI, and he still has the top mount ic because it has less lag than a fmic.
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

well, obviously the smaller the intercooler the faster the response...but still it would only take a second to hit near full boost anyways *shrug*it just sounds wrong
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by wyatt89 »well, obviously the smaller the intercooler the faster the response...but still it would only take a second to hit near full boost anyways *shrug*it just sounds wronglol, whatever. if it makes any difference, I was always the first one to floor it, and then he would hit it a second or two after me. but regardless of what was going on his car, it did happen. and I guarantee it lol. whether he had a bad tune or not.
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

no man, i believe you, vibers dont lie there is no point to it...we all pretty much have the same cars and we know what they can do...his car must not have been rollin right though is all im saying
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by wyatt89 »no man, i believe you, vibers dont lie there is no point to it...we all pretty much have the same cars and we know what they can do...his car must not have been rollin right though is all im saying no worries remember, my car is far from stock too. intake, ported header, cat-back exhaust, motor mounts, ignition amplifier, grounding wires, and also had a unichip at the time. and now I have a lightweight flywheel and act clutch to add to the list (sorry for going way off topic with all of this)
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

very cool, where did you get your headers done at or did you do it the dremel way? i really want motor mounts because my car has horrible wheel hop but i have no idea how to install them and i dont have an engine hoist...what would you suggest?
Ninja_Logan

Post by Ninja_Logan »

My brother tries to make fun of my Vibe GT, but he has a Saturn SC2 with an intake and an exhaust, and i kick his (removed) everytime i race him. He gets pissed
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I paid a shop $35 to have them installed. Easier to go that way because the rear one is a pain.
tcam

Post by tcam »

header was done by boosted2.0 over at newcelica.org. He had it dynoed for some pretty siginifcant gains. and the motor moutns were too difficult for meand my tools, so I took 'em to a local shop and had it done for $40. I had terrible wheel hop too before I had 'em installed
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

is that a typical price or did you know the people? i would rather know a more real world price instead of getting there and they want like 70 bucks, know what i mean?
tcam

Post by tcam »

I knew the people, but I think $40 is pretty tipical. It's not that difficult if you have the right equipment.
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

i really want headers but i cant afford them right now, i just moved from texas to wyoming for college and the elevation change has my car moving sooooo slow its hard to even spin the wheels let alone chirp the 2nd gear
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

I went to Meineke or whatever and they wanted $180. I told them to get my car off the rack. I took it to a nice shop back home and he said $35 for 30 minutes, $70 for an hour. Was working on it for maybe 40 minutes and charged me $35. Find the right honest shop and you'll be fine. I had to basically draw a schematic to have the guys at meineke understand it. He didn't even know what a torque mount was.
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

man i just wish i could give my car a bit of (removed) but the air is so thin...thats one reason why i decided to have a test pipe put on, i cant wait to see that, its gonna be pretty cool :D
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »no, an EVOVIII is rediculously fast from a dig because of the AWD, but from a roll it's not that impressive. Especially if you get the turbo lag just right. My friend says on his RSX forum that people with a few bolt-ons on a Type-S will beat an EVOVIII everytime from a roll. And I've beaten multiple Type-S'. This guy was going all out guaranteed. His backfires were loud as heck, and I could hear the turob spooling up everytime.keep in mind, the evo 8 and evo 9 are 2 different monsters. i can believe this if from an evo8, especially a poorly modded, tuned, and driven evo8. the evo9's on the otherhand have much more power. but again, with a poor driver, it doesn't matter. went back out to the track this Monday and ran anything from a 10 sec Muscle car to a new Charger R/T. not sure what those are rated at, but i was disappointed. also raced a Mustang V6 and that was quite a disappointment too. I know my Vibe GT would have easily taken the Mustang and would have been able to keep up with the Charger from a roll.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
tcam

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (AKLGT)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »keep in mind, the evo 8 and evo 9 are 2 different monsters. i can believe this if from an evo8, especially a poorly modded, tuned, and driven evo8. the evo9's on the otherhand have much more power. but again, with a poor driver, it doesn't matter. Exactly An EVO9 would absolutely destroy a VibeGT from a roll, and it would barely even be considered a race from a dig. lol Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »went back out to the track this Monday and ran anything from a 10 sec Muscle car to a new Charger R/T. not sure what those are rated at, but i was disappointed. also raced a Mustang V6 and that was quite a disappointment too. I know my Vibe GT would have easily taken the Mustang and would have been able to keep up with the Charger from a roll. I take V6 Mustangs all the time too But Mustang GT's on the other hand... lol
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

the new 6 banger stangers are actually quite powerful and put up decent numbers, most likely would beat a vibe GT.
LedFootin

Post by LedFootin »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »hahha, if it was a matrix we'd get called "ricers" or something similar...fast and furious want a be's or something. Everyone I talk to doesnt even know the vibe has a corolla drive train! OH and in the mnsportcompact club in duluth there is a toyota salesman...he said the vibe and matrix are totally different and have different engines! i was like..mmm nooo they are the same...look at my engine :/ see those TRD parts...yeah..or that jap writing? yeah..toyota!I think people just see the wagon and think "modding" it is worthless...Add Yamaha to the list, see the right side of the head at least on my 2ZZGE!They're both made in the NUME plant in Calaforina, which is a GM/Toyota joint venture, ie. same car, same drive trains save for the body panels.
Platinum '06 GT: F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch w/10lb. Flywheel, Magnaflow Cat Back, Typhoon SRI, TRD Strut Bar, TRD Sway Bar Set, Eleminated Moon Roof Soft Stop, Horn Lock Conformation, Color Matched Key Hole Covers, Rear Bumper Protector, Debadged.
Whelan

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (Ninja_Logan)

Post by Whelan »

Quote, originally posted by Ninja_Logan »My brother tries to make fun of my Vibe GT, but he has a Saturn SC2 with an intake and an exhaust, and i kick his (removed) everytime i race him. He gets pissed Make sure he knows that the 1.9L engine reacts very well to Turbo charging.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
tcam

Re: You're doing what to a Vibe? (Whelan)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »the new 6 banger stangers are actually quite powerful and put up decent numbers, most likely would beat a vibe GT.lol, one of my good friends drives one. I beat him just about every time. They're heavy as heck and really not as fast as you'd think.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

they run low 15's with a good driver in them, that's definitely in the GT's league.