Why is removing the oil filter a big mess with oil spilling upon removal?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
lexicon

Why is removing the oil filter a big mess with oil spilling upon removal?

Post by lexicon »

AM I missing something here, the filter is mounted upside down and should collect all the oil, yet,when I unscrew the oil filter, plenty spills over.WHAT do you guys do to prevent this.Is there some kind of trick to having no mess and spillover?
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
Petrucci914

Re: Why is removing the oil filter a big mess with oil spilling upon removal? (lexicon)

Post by Petrucci914 »

You should post these types of questions in the Engine/Transmission area. But regardless, you're draining the engine oil fully before removing it, correct?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
djb383

Re: Why is removing the oil filter a big mess with oil spilling upon removal? (lexicon)

Post by djb383 »

Don't all cars do that? Maybe it's just the ones I've had. Keep the drain handy.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Raven

Re: Why is removing the oil filter a big mess with oil spilling upon removal? (djb383)

Post by Raven »

My vehicles spill oil everywhere from the filter too.
lexicon

I posted here because its a general question.....

Post by lexicon »

In response to the poster above, the oil filter, filled with oil is above the oil pan, and whether the oil pan is drained or not, the filter still seems to overflow.So, has anyone found a solution for this?
Merzbow

Re: I posted here because its a general question..... (lexicon)

Post by Merzbow »

Put a pan underneath, grip the filter from the top and make sure your arm isn't underneath the filter and you will be alright Never heard of a car that didn't drip oil from the filter when you took it off, after all the filter is filled with oil and keeping that in mind, there will be excess oil sitting above it inside the engine.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I suppose you could punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let the oil drain out before removing it.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

What I do is break the seal on the filter, then wrap a plastic bag around the filter then finish unscrewing the filter this way here all the excess oil is caught with the bag and doesn't run down your arm.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
northvibe

Re: Why is removing the oil filter a big mess with oil spilling upon removal? (keithvibe)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »What I do is break the seal on the filter, then wrap a plastic bag around the filter then finish unscrewing the filter this way here all the excess oil is caught with the bag and doesn't run down your arm.WHAT?! I love the oil draining down my arm feel.....I just have a pan below it and drop the filter in the pan and let the oil drain to it...wipe my hand and arm and finish the oil change. Feels good getting dirty working on the car Gotta have some dirt below the finger nails...its how i impress the ladies
djb383

Re: Why is removing the oil filter a big mess with oil spilling upon removal? (keithvibe)

Post by djb383 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »What I do is break the seal on the filter, then wrap a plastic bag around the filter then finish unscrewing the filter this way here all the excess oil is caught with the bag and doesn't run down your arm.Now how clever is that, you da man!
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Sublimewind

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »I suppose you could punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let the oil drain out before removing it.This is exactly what i do, i use a straingh pick tool and either a hammer or a well placed JAB, it works great as long as you losen the oil fill cap and pull the dipstick... Well, it works reguardless, but works FASTER after opening up the engine... No mess...
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I like the fact that the oil filter hangs vertical, so the excess oil runs down the filter, and not down the side of the engine like in most other cars.
Whelan

Re: (joatmon)

Post by Whelan »

I drain the pan first as much as I can. Then replug it. Then move the oil catch bucket under the filter. I then unscrew it gently once I get it loosened. Keeping my hand on the top part of the back of the filter and eventually some oil will start to spill and go right in the catch. Then once that is done overflowing, I unscrew it gently still and hold it upright when bringing down, flip over in the catch bucket and let it drain. My fience's Jeep has a neat little V-shaped channel since the filter is right over the suspension, makes it easier to remove.Be lucky you have it where it is accessible. I did my fience's friends 04 Altima 2.5s is retarded. The filter is literally mounted perpendicular to the ground on the side of the engine behind the fender well. So you get oil spilling down the side of the engine and on the fender well also. PIA.On another note, I also have a big metal sheet with a raised lip on the edges. It's about 5'x3' or so and I put the catch bucket on top of that to make sure no drips or anything get on the floor. Makes cleanup easier, you can get them at Autozone for cheap.Another idea is to invest in an epoxy floor system like I am once I get a house. No oil stains, just wipe and its done.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

heck yes whelan! I have a big cardboard box i folded up from when my server got shipped to me. I use it to lay on and its so big it gets under the engine and tranny oil drops. Otherwise at my parents house I use newspaper...from the recycling
Mavrik

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Mavrik »

I always remove the oil cap before starting. I also remove the drain plug before spinning off the filter. I hardly make a mess.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
lexicon

Final outcome

Post by lexicon »

Gents Thanks for the advice.I was just wanting to see if the rest of you also got messy changing that little bitty filter. Looks like you do.I will now, use a plastic bag to grab the filter when removing it, and also leave a catch basin under the filter when removing itThanks for your help
Whelan

Re: Final outcome (lexicon)

Post by Whelan »

Cap always comes off from the top cause you may end up with a bit of a vaccuum not letting all the oil drain out as quick.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
binary

Post by binary »

I didn't see an answer to the OP's question... The oil filter's one way valve prevents oil from running back down into the pump. So while your engine is off oil is sitting in the outlet channel waiting for more oil (from the pump) to force it into the rest of the engine. This type of setup prevents a lot of engine wear when you first start the engine.But unfortunately it makes a mess when you drop the filter - all the oil has to go somewhere.But notice when you first start the engine after an oil change - your oil light stays on. While only for a few seconds while the pump primes fresh oil into an empty filter and back up into the engine --- your pressure is still low for a few seconds.I'm kind of a wuss - I wear an old leather welding glove when I'm changing the filter... it gives me a good grip on the slippery filter and keeps me from dropping the filter into the pan.And the pan I use can catch both the drips of a mostly empty oil pan and the filter's mess.
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Fill the new filter with fresh oil before you screw it on and pressure will build instantly.
Whelan

Re: (binary)

Post by Whelan »

[QUOTE=binary] But notice when you first start the engine after an oil change - your oil light stays on. While only for a few seconds while the pump primes fresh oil into an empty filter and back up into the engine --- your pressure is still low for a few seconds.[QUOTE]I've never had an oil light come on after a change.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT