anyone try a jet chip yet?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
manicdan

anyone try a jet chip yet?

Post by manicdan »

http://www.jetchip.com/they have one for the matrix and its the same unit for any toyota so i dont really know if its all that great. they do have a dyno of a camry 2.2L gaining 11hp.opinions?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

the weird thing is they dont ask for a engine (1zz or 2zz) or transmission type.. I know jet chips are good for trucks but...not sure what you'd get with this. At 399 + shipping it better be damn amazing. we should email them....EDit I just sent them a email asking for more info....
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

sounds like a half-assed unichip competitor
Raven

Re: (manicdan)

Post by Raven »

It's not an actual chip, it's a tuning service kit. It includes a shipping box, return air shipping, a spec sheet for choosing your tuning options and some other stuff. You ship them your ECU and in 24 hours they tune it and ship it back. I'm very suprised they offer this service because I thought the Matrix/Vibe/Toyota ECU could not be tuned. If it is tunable there should be a whole bunch of companies doing it. There's a least 6 places that will tune my GMC truck PCM for between $175.00(including the PCM) to $400.00. JET is a very reputable company and has been around much longer than Unichip.
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

im seeing products not a reflashing serviceif i read it right it mounts something that tells the ECU the information it wants to. its different products depending on each company. the ones for toyota are completely different than the ones for ford or dodge. but it all looks like what any piggyback would do.
Scootman!

Post by Scootman! »

manicdan I know this is not the forum, but I wanted to tell you that you and have one of the best looking vibes that I have seen. Although, I would say that Bluecrush is a close runner up on looks. Sweet vibe and good work!
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

jet emailed me back sayign they were to busy to email me and to call them... jets parts are usually just the scanner plug ins for diesel trucks and you switch what perf. you want. I wouldnt expect much out of the jet "chip"
Whelan

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Whelan »

People on MO have a few. They really are only good if you have some mods like high flow cats, headers, exhaust, cai's. Or even S/C. They work in tune with your engine management and have an affect then, but on a stock car, even with just a cai. It's not worth the $400 investment for what you get.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
mistertwo

Post by mistertwo »

Quote, originally posted by Jet Chip »The JET Performance Import Computer Upgrade Package is the solution to performance tuning import and domestic sport compact vehicles. Import computers do not have computer chips that are easily removed, making it necessary for JET engineers to either reprogram the vehicle’s existing chip or remove and replace the chip by desoldering it from the circuit board. [h1]The kit provides you with all the materials required to safely send your vehicle computer to JET’s lab for a high performance software upgrade. Once we receive your ECU it will be programmed according to the information you provide on the vehicle specification sheet to optimize performance and mileage to match your specific modifications. JET's exclusive Dynamic Spectrum Tuning provides optimal performance across the entire power band-not just at full throttle. Programming includes extensive modification to air/fuel ratios, ignition advance and boost pressures for turbo applications.[/h1]Computers received at JET by 12:00 PM PST will be programmed and reshipped the same day to minimize down time. Next day air return shipping is included in the price of the kit*. For the quickest turnaround time we recommend shipping the ECU to JET via UPS, Fed-Ex or DHL next day air.Custom Computer Upgrade Packages Include:- Step by step instructions- Computer location chart- Horsepower specification chart- Custom programming specification form- Shipping instructions and preaddressed forms- Shipping carton and packing materials- Next day air return shipping is included*- Warranty information*Next day air included in 48 states only. Call JET for shipping rates to other locations.*See Import Information section for horsepower gains and dyno charts. they tune your ecu based on what mods you have done to your car. you have to send it to them, they program it and send it back.
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

good findso why cant anyone else tune our chips
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Cause others aren't as big a business as Jet is. Since they did so well with trucks and diesels they moved into other markets fairly simply. They had the fundage to do it. They literally plug your chip into their system and re-map it given what mods you have done to your car.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

because of the lack of competitors its hard to say how good they are. competition brings quality and price while monopolizing simply gives you the only option. in a sense were just paying for the research and development as the cost to do the remap is probably really cheap once the equipment is payed off. what interests me is that if this in anyway makes my car not pass inspection and how much can i gain from it. 10hp and tq are worth it for the 400$ cause in racing it will make a difference while not changing my class.i wonder if they can lower the lift point?
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

I was always a believer that this worked better on cars with S/C and turbos. For example my brothers last car the 03 Jetta 1.8T GLS had 180hp. They sold a chip for like $300 that boosted that to 220 by simply boosting the turbo and changing the fuel air settings. Not a bad jump for $300.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
goodvibe

Re: (Whelan)

Post by goodvibe »

Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

a little over half way down the page is a link to RSX people having problems with JET Chips. and its a really funny story about how nothing changed and the company giving people the roundabout with thier money. in the end its definitly not worth it unless i watch them do it and dyno the results before and after.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Hi,I would like to know more information about the Jet chip for the toyota matrix you offer. Like what kind of chip is it, ecu replacement, a piggy back, etc. What it can control, ie. vvt-i, vvtl-i. Any more info you have would be great.Thanks,Parnell----------Their Reply------------Part#65002:We do have an ECU upgrade available for your application. Since your ECUdoes not have an easily replaceable chip we do require that the ECU be sentto us for programming. Our ECU upgrade kit contains everything needed topack and ship the ECU to us and includes complete instructions, ECU locationchart and our programming specification sheet that you fill out so we knowwhat upgrades have been done to the vehicle. Next day air return shipping isalso included in the price. The part # to fit your vehicle is 65002, whichretails for $399.00. The kit is available through JET directly or throughany of our dealers.Once we receive your ECU it will be programmed according to the vehiclespecification sheet to optimize the fuel and timing curves for your specificmodifications. For best results the ECU upgrade should be done after youcomplete all of your other upgrades so we can program specifically for them.We also recommend using at least 89 octane fuel due to the modified ignitionadvance. Horsepower gains will vary depending on how the vehicle ismodified, but average gains are 12-15 horsepower to the drive wheels. If youhave any questions you can reach our tech department toll free at800-535-1161. Our hours are M-F, 8-5 PST.Thank you
kevera

Re: (northvibe)

Post by kevera »

Why doesn't someone try it,and give us feedback.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

LOL at 400...i think id rather get a ps3
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

if u read the link from new celica and then in there is another link regarding some actual testing on it. it seems that a few of their applications were indeed fraud as the calibration number did not change, meaning the data on the chip didnt change. and after that asking for a refund they were given huge grief and it didnt end fun for alot of people