motor mounts

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
hank the tank

motor mounts

Post by hank the tank »

I got my energy suspension motor mounts in today and the one small peace of paper that came in the box that they call instructions. Has anyone swapped motor mounts on there vibe.
VictoryInspiredbyEngineering2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i havent..but it aint really that hard i dont think...just take out one at a time..do one mount..then install that same one..and tighten it back up..then do the 2nd one...the engine wont fall or anything from removing just 1 mount...but then again i've worked with sunfires for the last 4 years
Herb

Re: motor mounts (hank the tank)

Post by Herb »

I'm still waiting for mine, but I thought they are added to either side of the existing mounts, not a replacement for them.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
manicdan

Post by manicdan »

the new ones should be a donut looking polyertherane(sp)one thats suposedly the pain is the back one cause u have to do it from under the car. but the rest seem to be simply use a jack to raise ur engine a half inch and replace it. u could probly find more at the matrix forums
Petrucci914

Re: (manicdan)

Post by Petrucci914 »

You don't replace them. What you bought are spacers/inserts that stiffen up the existing mounts. I think all it comes with are the front and back which are your torque mounts. You'll have to jack up the motor but be careful not to puncture your oil pan. The front one should be easy but you'll have to finesse (aka swear-a-lot) on the rear one. Make sure the car is cooled down because the rear one is by the first cat/manifold.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

interesting..i'd have to get some and try it..got all the tools and a hoist at work so it makes it alot easier
Raven

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by Raven »

You'll experience a lot of shake and rattle at idle but it's still worth it.
hank the tank

Re: (Sunny)

Post by hank the tank »

I took a look at the car and the front one is easy to get to. Not so much on the back one. There suppose to give a better launch .
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I hear using a car jack and so it can hold/lift the engine just a little so you can get to them makes it easy. There was a write up on matrixowners for that. I almost ordered them...eesm has some other poly mounts for suspension that i wanted to get, im still thinking about the engine mounts cuz my car is driven a ton so I dont want that shaking all the time.
hank the tank

Re: (northvibe)

Post by hank the tank »

I don't care about the shaking that much. I do it for the performance factor . Plus I want every ounce of power out of the car because I like beating the socks of of people in a wagon.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

lol yes these mounts well the engine ones are a good way to keep the tires on the pavement. I was looking for a engine damper but they dont make one yet for ours cars..... Now days I just need good mileage and handling.
hank the tank

Post by hank the tank »

Well one of my good buddy's has a 03 evo. It's hard to keep up with him on "drives". I hoping these help more than a little though.
Whelan

Re: (hank the tank)

Post by Whelan »

I think it would hard to keep up with an Evo anyways regardless.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
hank the tank

Re: (Whelan)

Post by hank the tank »

ya but I try .
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

1. I realize this is an old thread, but I'm just getting around to it now.I tried to install my ES motor mount busing inserts today.1. Front: Not "easy" by my lazy-(removed) definition, but doable. Pull the mount out, break off that stupid little tack-on tab, accidentially break one fin of the fan shroud, use the long center bolt and some washers as a puller to pull the whole assembly back into place and voila! It looks sweet.The reaason I'm doing this is after my 3rd autoX event in my VGT I noticed a new squeak, Sherlocked that it was the motor mount and now I'm doing something about it. Moving on:2. Rear: only way to go: pull off driver's wheel, undo the center bolt with long extensions and a breaker bar. Undo the 3 nuts and 1 bolt holding the mount in place from under the car. Use a jack to shift the motor out of place, free up the mount and you have tight, tricky access to both sides of the mount.The Problem: Even though I could get to the mount, I could reach it, get the busing to it from both sides (left from driver's wheel well, right from under car) I could NOT get the bushings to seat into the mount. Each bushing has two "tabs." The top, wider, tab seated nicely, but the bottom tab would not go in. Due to the tricky access I could not get any muscle (not that I have any) on it and could not force it in.So, other than people that work for ES and say this is an "easy" job...has anyone done this and got it to work? Did you leave the rear mount "in place" or pull it al lthe way out of the engine bay to seat the busings?CAVEAT: it turn out my mount was squeaking because two of the rear nuts were loose! Yeah, seriously. I didn't get the rear bushing installed, but I got everything tight and the squeak is gone. Next weekend is the next AutoX event, wahoo!
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/