Synchro ring.... Vibe GT transmission problem

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Legros

Synchro ring.... Vibe GT transmission problem

Post by Legros »

Hi,Well seems that i finaly killed my synchro... It's been a long time that when i reved high i had trouble "passing" the second or the third (either a good scratch sound or had to force it in place)... Now every speed as soon as i go over 3000rpm ( ) have to be force. You know the feeling of the first gear when you try to get it in and your not completly stop...Anyone had similar experience...? For what i understood it seems that it's the synchro ring? of the transmission that are ****ed up... Make sens? Cause the clutch feel is about the same has before so probably not the clutch slipping or anything like that.Any advice?
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

yeah, sounds like you have a rebuild in your future... Did you change your MT fluid at any point?
Legros

Post by Legros »

No didnt change MT fluid... or didnt ask for it. After couple of call around... seems like pressure plate gone dead since every speed has difficulty to pass....
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Well, a pressure plate doesn't seem like it would cause you to have a hard time shifting...???? I could see the pressure plate causing problems with slipping or making noise, but not hard shifting... Strange, i would make some more calls...
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

Check your brake fluid. Low could stop the hydrolic clutch from fully releasing. Though it's unlikely, it wouldn't hurt to check.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
CountryVibe

Re: (goodvibe)

Post by CountryVibe »

I had the same problem, I took it back to the dealer, if it's progressing in to third it will soon act up on rev and 4. They had to rebuild the tranny, was in the shop of 3 weeks
2005 GTmoons & tunes, keyhole covers, SRI,2.5" borla catback exhaust, seatbelt beep deletedWagons Rule.......Sedans Drool
Legros

Post by Legros »

yiiiiiiiiiiiiicks. Since i'm no more under warranty i sure hope that the change of clutch will do the trick ... Nway now in the hand of a toyota dealder... i will have news in a day or two...
Legros

Post by Legros »

Well seems it was the clutch. Didnt had the chance to test it very long... But the new clutch feel very good and speed seems to enter without any problem... ye!
tcam

Re: (Legros)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by Legros »Well seems it was the clutch. Didnt had the chance to test it very long... But the new clutch feel very good and speed seems to enter without any problem... ye!wow, that's encouraging what clutch did you use?
Dezz1

Post by Dezz1 »

Was it a clutch and pressure plate? Did you get the Flywheel turned?
Even Free isn't Free, Someone has to pay for it. Check Out My Vibehttp://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/571609
Legros

Post by Legros »

Was the pressure plate not the clutch. But the clutch was soon the go also. Flywheel was resurfaced (turned i guess?). Finally i had to go to an OEM toyota cuz i could wait to have an ACT or TRD (2 week wait...). But for now i'm very happy with it.. Didnt had the chance to have fun with the new toy yet... Maybe this week end )
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

Wear on those parts wont cause shifting problems with the clutch in. Your clutch wasn't fully releasing which is why I mentioned the brake fluid level. Throw out bearing may also have been shot. I'm sure you needed all that work done anyway so no biggy. Glad it's working.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)