'06 Manual Trans. Base Vibe idle problem

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Djm

'06 Manual Trans. Base Vibe idle problem

Post by Djm »

Since new (have about 2000 miles on it now) my manual '06 base Vibe idles roughly after warming up to running temp. The idle drops down to 750/800 rpms and can even fluctuate between that and 900/975 or so rpms. This creates an annoying/worrysome vibration in the car. It aslo makes it more difficult than it should be to start off into first without stalling. The air conditiner running is the only way to keep the rpms up, and even then they seem to fluctuate a little bit. I've had it to the dealer twice and they even kept it overnight once. They say everything involving the engine idle checks out...vacuum hoses, computer, etc. "This is just how these cars are." I was told the last time. Perhaps I am having trouble getting used to a 4 ater having a 6 for 10 years, but I've had 4's in the past that did not do this. I've also driven a stick for many years and never had trouble with stalling out while starting out. Any advice/comment would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to contact Pontiac directly, and will probably try another dealer's service dept. if they advise that, unless I find out that this is something that the car does and not a problem, which I am having a very hard time believing. Otherwise...I do love my Vibe and it is the perfect car for my needs.-Djm
binary

Post by binary »

I notice that my vibe does have a rough closed loop idle - but I chalk it up to trying to idle as low as possible to save fuel / improve emissions. I have 44k miles on my '05 and never had a single problem - and I still get great gas mileage. Typically if something is wrong, your mileage will suffer first.I, too, had a 6 cylinder for five years before my vibe and it does idle noticeably rougher, but that can't be helped without idling at a higher RPM.But feel free to have another dealer check it out - not sure if they'll charge you. You may also ask if they'd let you drive another similar vibe and see if there any differences.--Also - welcome to the forum, congrats on your first post!
Djm

Re: (binary)

Post by Djm »

Hey...thanks for the quick response and feedback. I don't want to make a fool or pest of myself and just need to know if this is something that I have to get used to, or something that can fe "fixed" (if a fix is necessary.)
KNINE

Re: (Djm)

Post by KNINE »

I have the same car and it does the same thing. I took mine to the dealer twice, and of course it stopped doing it as soon as I pulled into the parking lot. Both times I just took the car home. otherwise, the car has been problem free.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
2tone Vibe

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by 2tone Vibe »

Yeah, mine does it too. I have put on 15,000 miles since I bought the car new in September, but it still does it occasionally. I've never been able to pin it to any particular event or situation, so I have just dealt with it.
Lancer

Re: '06 Manual Trans. Base Vibe idle problem (Djm)

Post by Lancer »

It's normal for it to run rough and vary it's idle rpm's when it's cold or cooled off.No need to worry about it. Just let it warm up for 5 minutes when it's cold.Get used to it. It REALLY is just how these engines are. (Not trying to sound like a smart (removed), please don't take it that way!)
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Djm

Post by Djm »

Thanks all for your responses and input. I did notice today that after a while it seemed to actually settle down and idle at an even keel. Before it did, however, my passenger door rattled a bit which got me rattled. Oh well...if this is the worst thing about the car I'll be happy.
KNINE

Re: '06 Manual Trans. Base Vibe idle problem (Lancer)

Post by KNINE »

Mine does it the most when the weather's cold, even after I've been driving for a while with the engine is at full operating temperature. I also noticed that's when the squeaks and rattles come out.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.