IACV Intake Air Control Valve

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
PhantomMatrix

IACV Intake Air Control Valve

Post by PhantomMatrix »

so i've had some problems with a rough idle. after reasearching here and on http://www.matrixowners.com, i have narrowed it down to pcv valve and the IACV aka IAC Valve or Intake Air Control Valvei now see where the PCV valve is located.now i would like to locate where the IACV is located. seems cleaning that would fix the rough idle situation. yes i can take it in to the dealer and have them replace it but i want to know where it is so i can clean it myself. do any of you have any pictures of the IACV so we can all learn to clean this part?
BlueCrush

Re: IACV Intake Air Control Valve (PhantomMatrix)

Post by BlueCrush »

The black plastic sensor at the bottom of the throttle body. You can see it in this pic with the plug for the wires facing you:
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
PhantomMatrix

Post by PhantomMatrix »

is that off an '05? because 05's and up are drive-by-wire, DBW, which means they don't have a throttle cable and rely on electronics do the accelerating, unlike the cable which is right there. that half a horseshow i think is the throttle cable which means it's different on 05's and up.
BlueCrush

Re: (PhantomMatrix)

Post by BlueCrush »

That one is from an '03'-04 1ZZ-FEThis one is a '05+ DBW TB which doesn't have that sensor there:Hmmm...good question then. Have you tried cleaning your MAF sensor?
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
PhantomMatrix

Post by PhantomMatrix »

ahhha thx blue, now is that IACV right underneath the TB on this '05 picture and do any of you ever take it off to clean it to smooth out your rough idle problems.yes i cleaned my MAF today actually. 3rd time in 3 months. rough idle still there, so since i see in the repair manual ('03-'04 version) that the rough idle can be caused by IACV, that's what i've narrowed it down to.im taking it to the dealer to see what they say. i cleaned my throttle body today to make sure they dont try and make that the cause. i see a few months ago they slipped in a TB service for $100. $95 for labor and $5 for the solvent. unbelievable.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Never tried that. I have cleaned my MAF sensor to fix any rough idle problems I have had. I usually only get a rough idle in winter when temps are below freezing. Let us know if you decide to try it. If it works, I may do the same.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
kevera

Re: IACV Intake Air Control Valve (PhantomMatrix)

Post by kevera »

PhantomMatrix-Yes that is the IAC Valve on the bottom of the throttle-body.There are a couple of screws holding it on.It's best to take the throttle-body off the intake,to get at the screws.I've had this problem before,the dealer replaced the valve and went away for a while and then came back.So I put on a CAI and has since disappeared.Good luck.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
PhantomMatrix

Post by PhantomMatrix »

thanks kev, i will try to get at the IACV by loosening the throttle body screw and removing the big black hose so i can get to the IACV and see what i can do. i am scared to do it though!dont want to take off the whole TB because then i need new gaskets and stuff, i dont want to get too involved with that right now. a toothbrush and TB cleaner is just fine for me right now.
meistees

Post by meistees »

I've been having the same problem.. for the last couple years it has rough idled off and on but in the last 3 months would stall out at idle constantly 3 or 4 times a day.. the dealership said they couldn't prove it was IAC valve problem bu they removed it and cleaned it and replaced the screws and gasket.. for the last week it hasn't stalled but still rough idles
Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
PhantomMatrix

Re: (meistees)

Post by PhantomMatrix »

ouch, maybe then i wont touch the IACV. damn this is scary.
kevera

Post by kevera »

To be honest,I had this problem almost since new.I brought it in to the dealer just after my warranty ended and they replaced the valve for nothing.It worked for about a month,then it came back,I just learned to live with it.Now since I installed my cosmo intake,it magically went away.So,I don't know how to explain that one,but I'm a happy camper now.But cleaning the valve only helps the stalling issue.
meistees

Post by meistees »

my dealership won't replace it because it wont throw an error code... and tried to tell me they'll only replace it if it totally breaks.. I still have about 25,000 miles on my extended warranty
meistees

Post by meistees »

well it ran pretty well for a week and half after I had the valve cleaned and it's gasket replaced and now its back to stalling again oh joy
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Just for the heck of it, have you checked to make sure all of you vacuum or evap/emissions hoses are still connected properly?
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
kevera

Post by kevera »

Meistees,It would be a good idea to check the hoses out.But,I far as I know the valve is what causes the stalling and rough idle.A few of my buddies on MO have had the same problem,and it always ended up being the valve.Like I told you in one of your ealier posts the valve is quite expensive,so make the dealer replace it before your warranty runs out.
meistees

Re: (kevera)

Post by meistees »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »Meistees,It would be a good idea to check the hoses out.But,I far as I know the valve is what causes the stalling and rough idle.A few of my buddies on MO have had the same problem,and it always ended up being the valve.Like I told you in one of your ealier posts the valve is quite expensive,so make the dealer replace it before your warranty runs out.all the hoses look fine.. I've been trying to get the dealership to replace it but they keep telling me I can't prove the valve is the problem.. when I finally got them to even take a look at the valve they told me the problem was a dirty throttle body
kevera

Post by kevera »

Do you have another dealership you can bring it to.
kevera

Re: (kevera)

Post by kevera »

Why don't you talk to bluecrush about buying the valve from him,he has a throttle-body and manifold for sale but he says he will sell sensors separately.I think he wants $25 for it.For $25 you can't go wrong.At least it will answer your question.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=26645
PhantomMatrix

Post by PhantomMatrix »

you know, there are 2 Technical Service Bulletins TSB for the Matrix for the Fuel Pump and the PCM/ECM, do you guys have one for the vibe? i woud imagine you'd have to. they will replace the fuel pump and ecm under warranty. and it shoul help with stalling
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

My 05 Vibe built in Feb is cable......
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
coldmm803

Re: (pacerman)

Post by coldmm803 »

Quote, originally posted by pacerman »My 05 Vibe built in Feb is cable......i think thats cause your AWD, they only got rid of the the cable on the base
BlueCrush

Re: (coldmm803)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by coldmm803 »i think thats cause your AWD, they only got rid of the the cable on the baseYou are correct, sir! All year Vibe AWD's are cable throttle.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD