Toyota T-F (T-IV) transmission fluid (auto-base)???

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
bagwell

Toyota T-F (T-IV) transmission fluid (auto-base)???

Post by bagwell »

I read thru 20 different tranny fluid threads and wanted clarification this is the correct fluid to use.Thanks!
2002sportside

Re: Toyota T-F (T-IV) transmission fluid (auto-base)??? (bagwell)

Post by 2002sportside »

Manual calls for T-IV fluid only.
2005 Moonstone Base Vibe 38k as of October, 2010 (41k as of 7-15-11)Moon & Tunes, power package, automatic, center console power port added
PhantomMatrix

Post by PhantomMatrix »

yes T-IV, i just use amsoil, since it's a synthetic and it's compatible.
ShannanCa

Post by ShannanCa »

make sure you get the tranny fluid from the Toyota dealership and NOT from Pontiac. I paid like $4 or $6 a quart or something from Toyota and Pontiac wanted $14 a quart! Same fluid! Reasoning from Pontiac is that the Vibe is the only Pontiac vehicle with this Toyota transmission. Type T-IV.
2004 Vibe - debadged /Tein S springs / tinted windows/ K&N typhoon induction system / California Profile 400m amp / Coustic 262 amp / California crossover / Rockford Fosgate Phase II 12" sub / Panasonic mp3 and CD player / stock door speakers / extra 6.5" Infinity reference component set / black wind deflectors over windows / stock 16" rims / ported and polished exhaust manifold by Boosted2.0/ strut tower bar / magnaflow cat back system / rodded precat / "spark plug nonfouler" mod on O2 sensor
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

Use the recommended fluid. Toyota or GM. I wouldn't use the Amsoil. Their 'compatible with' disclaimer doesn't involve any certified testing in the application. There's no universal ATF now a days. Mobil 1 for instance specifically says not to use their universal synth ATF in this app. Different tranny's need different friction levels and viscosity's to work properly. ATF isn't filtered and tranny operation produces lots of insolubles from pad wear. Acid neutralization also wears out over time so you're better off with more frequent changes and don't need synth. The pads and bands need a very specific set of conditions to work properly and less friction would be a bad thing for instance. Amsoil may or may not be optimum for this tranny but there's no way to tell from their specs and seat of the pants can be misleading. Either firmer or smoother shifting than stock could be a bad thing for longevity. Same for additives. You don't want to change the character of the stock fluid that the tranny was designed with. It's an integral part of it's correct operation and not like motor oil where less friction is always good and a wide range of visc. work fine.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
gumbeaux1979

Post by gumbeaux1979 »

I like the Royal Purple Fluid.
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base"INFIDEL"Under Construction
zionzr2

Re: Toyota T-F (gumbeaux1979)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by gumbeaux1979 »I like the Royal Purple Fluid.Running Royal Purple fluids in mine!
KNINE

Re: Toyota T-F (zionzr2)

Post by KNINE »

Is it really purple?
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

T-IV
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Wolfman213

Re: Toyota T-F (K-NINE)

Post by Wolfman213 »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »Is it really purple?Not sure about the trans fluid, but IIRC the oil is.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

yes it really is purple but it does not stay purpleafter a trip or two it turns the normal color for the fluid
daniel4888

Re: Toyota T-F (T-IV) transmission fluid (auto-base)???

Post by daniel4888 »

will castrol work?
CharlesinGA

Re:

Post by CharlesinGA »

goodvibe wrote:Use the recommended fluid. Toyota or GM. I wouldn't use the Amsoil. Their 'compatible with' disclaimer doesn't involve any certified testing in the application. There's no universal ATF now a days. Mobil 1 for instance specifically says not to use their universal synth ATF in this app. Different tranny's need different friction levels and viscosity's to work properly. ATF isn't filtered and tranny operation produces lots of insolubles from pad wear. Acid neutralization also wears out over time so you're better off with more frequent changes and don't need synth. The pads and bands need a very specific set of conditions to work properly and less friction would be a bad thing for instance. Amsoil may or may not be optimum for this tranny but there's no way to tell from their specs and seat of the pants can be misleading. Either firmer or smoother shifting than stock could be a bad thing for longevity. Same for additives. You don't want to change the character of the stock fluid that the tranny was designed with. It's an integral part of it's correct operation and not like motor oil where less friction is always good and a wide range of visc. work fine.
I use Amsoil in my '04 model. I dump and refill (about three qts) every 10,000 mi oil change, its been done a total of 5 times so far, first three right after 50,000 when I bought the car, about a week apart, and then at 60K and at 70K. It works just fine, cannot tell a difference.

Its not like Toyota makes this fluid themselves, someone makes it for them. Amsoil has testing labs and enough knowledge to know if the fluid is compatible/safe to use in it.

You could say the same thing about About any car, that Amsoil is not the correct fluid and might cause problems, thus what you are really saying is that no one should ever use anything but the fluid sold by the dealer for that car, no matter what kind of car it is.

Charles
Chiadog

Re: Toyota T-F (T-IV) transmission fluid (auto-base)???

Post by Chiadog »

Bump, Castrol Transmax Fully Synthetic Multi-Vehicle looks compatible with toyota T-4 .
Exceeds requirements of JASO-1A and recommended for a wide range of import vehicles.
This includes Toyota/Lexus according to the spec. sheet pdf, Which can be downloaded (bottom link) from Castrol website: upper link is to the MSDS.
http://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds/msds ... =No&cols=0