DBW reset

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
northvibe

DBW reset

Post by northvibe »

Well i saw this on Newcelica.org (http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225437) and figured id post it here for the DBW owners just in case. sounds like some people say it works.1: turn key to "on" (not to "start," you do not want it running)2: push pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there3: wait 5 seconds4: turn key to "off" while still holding pedal5: remove foot off the gas pedal then start the car....enjoy !!! Seems to tighten the "cable" and make throttle response a little faster.you take your own responsibility for doing this, I am not held liable for anything that happens to you car.
GrayFox

Re: DBW reset (northvibe)

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe » I am not held liable for anything that happens to you car.what could happen? & technically would this be for cable throttle people not DBW?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

no this is for DBW, i think it resets WOT in the DBW computer or something. For cable throttle you get rid of the slack in the cable by tighting up the nut thing or getting a throttle rotor.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

I tried this yesterday and have noticed (preliminary):- Faster smoother starting. No chugging to life in the morning- Smoother acceleration and better more even pedal response- Smoother shifts. My car's shifts were getting chunky and harsh, especially when taking off from being almost stopped. Not noticing that so far.
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base, Automatic, Power PackageSony CDX-GT300Upgraded Horns
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Awesome NewNeptune!! thanks for trying it and posting the results! hopefully now others with DBW will give it a try
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

According to the Celica forum, though, it reverts to normal operation every time the car is shut off.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
GrayFox

Re: DBW reset (GMJAP)

Post by GrayFox »

I'm gonna try this tonight.... If this "resets" would that not be what the car considers "normal" from that point on?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well someone with DBW will have to confirm if it stays like that after the car has been shut off and restarted multiple times.
GrayFox

Re: (northvibe)

Post by GrayFox »

I'll try it when I leave work and report back on monday
Mrizzle05

Re: (ANO_Vibe)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

remember northvibe is not responsible!!!!HAHA! i might try this and see whats up
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
Mase

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by Mase »

The true test would be to perform it while pressing the pedal halfway. If it does work then flooring it should only give you half throttle if it indeed recalibrated off your procedure.Sounds bogus to me but you never know.
Raven

Re: (Mase)

Post by Raven »

I tried it a couple of days ago and I'm not sure if it does much. I think it is just the placebo effect.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Definitely not the placebo effect. I had shifts before that would kick you back into your seat. Now it's buttery smooth. The test is if it stays that way. To extend the game controller analogy, I've had some game controllers that would start out during a game fine, but get progressively worse as they were used. It may just be masking a faulty TPS.I did this yesterday and have been driving around since and it is still holding. Shifts are still smooth, starts are still quick and throttle response is still even and smooth. As an example, before doing it, I had to push it to the point of downshifting to get a good 70-75 MPH speed up. Now it doesn't even have to unlock the torque converter.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

The 2004 Malibu I had prior to this had eletronic throttle and you could fool it on the pedal position. The key was to depress the throttle part way before even putting the key in, then to start the car. I did that a few times with the throttle at ~ 90% and sure enough, I barely had any throttle. But it knew as soon as I let the throttle out that something was going on and reset the throttle position by itself.
GrayFox

Re: (NewNeptune)

Post by GrayFox »

I tried this yesterday evening. Over all the cars seems smoother when accelerating & like NewNeptune said, I noticed that my vibe shifted pretty hard at times and I feel an improvement in that, too. I'm also skeptical that it's a placebo effect but I think it does help.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Day #3, no change.It even seems to adapt more quickly to different driving situations. For example, when I'm in a hurry and am heavy on the throttle, shifts are firmer without being harsh. Shortly after going back to normal driving, shifts are again smooth.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Day #4: No change.
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Mine feels the same & hasn't changed over the weekend.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

neat! im glad this is helping for you guys
vibe Freak

Re: (northvibe)

Post by vibe Freak »

I went ahead and did it last night and I did not drive the car until this morning. The difference is night and day. I don't know if its such a difference from the pulleys but she really moves.
RFP1 17x8 , AFE Cold Air Intake, Helix Power Tower Plus, Eibach Sportline Springs with Tokico Blues, Progress sway bar, Alutec OEM Sized Lightened Crank Pulley full custom Magnaflow 2.5 header back exhaust and B&M tranny cooler E/S inserts Unichip.
GrayFox

Re: (vibe Freak)

Post by GrayFox »

I tried some "tests" this evening driving back from my wife's parents.cruising at 55-60 and punching it to pass used to result in the car hesitating and lunging forward; now it's a quick shift and there's the power! the throttle response is a lot better! & cruising around town and lightly (but quickly) accelerating provides the same effect. smooth and silky well as smooth as the 4-speed can be
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

I'm going to give this a shot and see if I have good results like everyone else. I have noticed that when I give it gas to pass someone, the car hesitates. I hope this fixes the problem... so we will see.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I tried this last week and it did make a difference. 1. Acceleration from a dead stop is smoother and a little faster.2. The hesitation I noticed on hard acceleration is gone.3. It seems to start a little faster in the morning.I did not notice a big difference in shifting, but it already was shifting smoothly. overall, the car seems more powerful. I'm wondering what kind of hit the gas mileage will take for this improved performance. Is anyone tracking their mileage since they did the reset?
GrayFox

Re: (nygiantzz1)

Post by GrayFox »

This doesn't make the car any more powerful. It resets the WOT position. The only MPG hit you should take is if you keep it floored more now
drunkenmaxx

Re:

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i have an even cooler one for everyone to try, guaranteed results:1-put your right hand towards the steering wheel2-put it back3-put towards the steering wheel again and shake itthe car will automatically do the hokey pokey and turn itself all the way around. now that's what it's all about! pretty cool free mod!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »you take your own responsibility for doing this, I am not held liable for anything that happens to you car.LOL!!! DM, you should add this disclaimer to that to save yourself a lawsuit
new05vibeowner

Post by new05vibeowner »

I'll try this out tonight. Thanks!
Mods: 04 center armrest, 04 Matrix AM/FM/CD/Cassette, Electrochromatic rear view mirror w/compass, GM hood protector, Ventvisors on doors and moonroof, one-touch close moonroof. added 12v outlet in console, Goodyear TripleTred tires, Sirius satellite radio.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Bad news. Today it went back to some of it's old habits. The first few inches of pedal didn't do much and the next few after that were "woah!!" Pushing the gas after almost stopping (like going over a speed bump or making a turn) produced neck snapping "shift" (feels like it's slipping or hunting). Plus it was generally harsher. So I tried it again tonight and sure enough, it became smooth and pedal response was even again. No neck snapping "shift" when turning corners.So from this I can surmise that there is something wrong with the throttle system? How can I explain this to a dealer?
new05vibeowner

Post by new05vibeowner »

On my end, so far, so good. Much quicker throttle response.
Mods: 04 center armrest, 04 Matrix AM/FM/CD/Cassette, Electrochromatic rear view mirror w/compass, GM hood protector, Ventvisors on doors and moonroof, one-touch close moonroof. added 12v outlet in console, Goodyear TripleTred tires, Sirius satellite radio.
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by NewNeptune »...(like going over a speed bump or making a turn)...I know what you're talking about but in my case I wouldn't use the word "neck snapping". It seems strange that it would go back to normal. My only idea would be to go to the dealer (I hope yours is good) and explain this little "fix" northvibe uncovered for us and go from there.I redid mine the other day, not really for any reason, tho. I'll leave it alone & see what happens.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »I know what you're talking about but in my case I wouldn't use the word "neck snapping". It seems strange that it would go back to normal. My only idea would be to go to the dealer (I hope yours is good) and explain this little "fix" northvibe uncovered for us and go from there.I redid mine the other day, not really for any reason, tho. I'll leave it alone & see what happens.It gets neck snapping if I'm hard enough on the throttle. Which happens when I'm in a lane that slows down but want to change to a lane that is going much faster. I have got the repetition pattern down to a science. From a stop, accelerate to 20 MPH and hold for a few seconds (allowing the tranny to settle into gear) and then slow to 10 MPH. Then try to accelerate. RPMs come up to about 2.5-3K drop to 1200 or so and then come up again and I finally get acceleration. This is basic, the tranny should not do this (and didn't used to).It's going in for this on Thursday as well as:- Torque converter unlock on the highway is harsh- Rear wiper is dead (literally, it is hanging down pointing at the ground)- My vibration is still not completely fixed, even after a set of roadforced Michelin Exaltos (which came after roadforced Comfortreds which came after roadforced Pirelli P3000s).We'll see what they say.
4azdmunky

Post by 4azdmunky »

For what its worth, I did this about a week ago, it removed a flat spot I had between 35-50. Gas milage has been better too.It has not reverted back yet.Thanks for posting this.
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

Quote, originally posted by NewNeptune »- Rear wiper is dead (literally, it is hanging down pointing at the ground)LOL!!! yeah, I would deffinately have that looked at. I'll try what you describe and see if mine does the same. Good luck getting those things fixed & let us know how it turns out
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

i tried it today for the first time and have no gain from it
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »LOL!!! yeah, I would deffinately have that looked at. I'll try what you describe and see if mine does the same. Good luck getting those things fixed & let us know how it turns out I'll see if I can try it in a parking lot and make a video of it for reference.
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

I tried what you were talking about & couldn't get it to work...
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Ok, no laughing but with an 06 base, do i have DBW?
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Mrizzle05

Re: (VforVIBE)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!05+ = DBW
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
VforVIBE

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Mrizzle05 » HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!05+ = DBW
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

*snicker* lol, I was wondering why you haven't commented on this yet, V *snicker*
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »*snicker* lol, I was wondering why you haven't commented on this yet, V *snicker*Because I was outside painting:14 red caliper, 2 red drumsAny question?
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

right..... BOT--> Anyway, are you gonna try this?
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »right..... BOT--> Anyway, are you gonna try this?yeah, but if my car blows up it's your fault.
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

no, you missed the itty bitty super fine print disclaimer at the end of every one of my posts Quote, originally posted by itty bitty super fine print disclaimer at the end of every one of ANO_Vibe's posts »I'm not liable in any way should the information I give to you on genvibe (or anywhere else for that matter) cause your car to: blow up, explode, discentergrate, get crushed by a monster truck, catch on fire, transform into a giant killer robot and wreak havoc upon your city, or turn into a very large paper wieght.now that that's settled... let us know how it goes
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »no, you missed the itty bitty super fine print disclaimer at the end of every one of my posts now that that's settled... let us know how it goes Ok, i'm going to the store right now, and i'll try it, BTW do you need anything from the food store? And stop bugging me: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...ge=11
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

I saw that & sent you and IM
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

wow, i just found my im history, there is a lot there i didn't know about, like stop using bad languge, thread locked, ANO making fun of me an hour ago, ANO picking on me a month ago, wow I've missed a lot. OH, and I tried the reset out, OMGosh it stats up SO MUCH better I just hope it starts the nextday.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Here is the video I made. It's kind of hard to do while you are driving. The video is in 3G2 format, which QuickTime will play. Unfortunely, my phone does not record audio which would really have helped out.The video starts with me going 20 MPH and braking to 10 MPH, at that point, I then pressed the gas lightly and you can see the RPMs flare up to about 2200-2400, not right at all. In the process of trying to make a better video, it temporarly stopped doing this, which is how I found out that it should only come up to around 1600 RPMs or so.I found the best way to watch the video is to watch the speedo come down from 20 MPH to 10 MPH and then look right over at the tach.What do you think?

Attached files V_00012.3G2 (64.4 KB) 
GrayFox

Post by GrayFox »

I'll have to watch the vid later but I've been trying to get mine to do this. Mine is still being smooth. Even giving it a considerable amount off gas coming out of a sharp turn.
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

Quote, originally posted by ANO_Vibe »I'll have to watch the vid later but I've been trying to get mine to do this. Mine is still being smooth. Even giving it a considerable amount off gas coming out of a sharp turn. That's good news for me, meaning that this is something that hopefully, they can fix.