Unichip installed...Runs Great! No CEL's.....so far....

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
BlueCrush

Unichip installed...Runs Great! No CEL's.....so far....

Post by BlueCrush »

I received and installed my Unichip today. I had bought it from a MO who had it preprogrammed for his '04 XRS but had never used it. It was still new in the box. So sent it off to Unichip for reprogramming. I had a semi-custom tune done because I have a Weapon-R SR Intake and the didn't have a map for it. So I sent a copy of my Dyno sheet and A/F ratio graph form my dyno run on 7/22 and also sent along the TPR (Tuner Performance Reports) testing info for the Weapon-R SR intake from their website. I had it reprogrammed for these mods:ExhaustCustom 4-1 header (coming soon)Custom 2.25" DownpipeCustom 2.25" ExhaustMagnaflow High Flow CatBig Fat Resonator (48”x5”)Dynomax Super Turbo MufflerEngineWeapon-R Secret SR Intake SR Cold Air BoxHelix Power Tower Plus TB SpacerXS Engineering Power Pack II Ignition AmplifierNGK Iridium IX PlugsHyper Ground & Voltage SystemIT took about 1/2 to install, very easy. It's PnP. I have it set on map B (the more agressive map). I had filled up with premium a couple times before in preparation of the Unichip. I took it for a test drive and took it easy at the beginning. I noticed there was some slight hesitation while accelerating due the car getting used to the new timing and A/F changes. After a while it got smoother, so I opened her up a few times. I am definitely having an increase in power across the entire powerband. It is most noticeable in the 3000-5500 rpm range, which is where it is badly needed on the AWD. I went through 4 starting cycles to ensure there would be no CEL and so far so good.I will be making an appointment to go back to the same shop for an after dyno run to see the changes. I will report back the actual HP/TQ increases from the Unichip.I will also be getting a custom tune next spring either by a local shop that is going to be getting set up to tune the Unichips or by driving 6 hrs. to GRD Performance in Naperville, Illinois.Next up: One off Custom Header for my AWD Here is a pic of the Unichip in the box taken by the original owner:
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

shweeet!! BC you'll for sure have to keep us informed as the week goes by how it feels and the gains cant wait for the dyno :D
Lancer

Re: Unichip installed...Runs Great! No CEL's.....so far.... (BlueCrush)

Post by Lancer »

Did ya also get the heavy-azzed key chain-light? My cat liked it.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
BlueCrush

Re: Unichip installed...Runs Great! No CEL's.....so far.... (Lancer)

Post by BlueCrush »

Yes. It weighs like 5lbs.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joholste

Re: Unichip installed...Runs Great! No CEL's.....so far.... (zionzr2)

Post by joholste »

outstanding... curious to see how much you gained off of it
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

great news, BC. so sounds like you are pleased with the results? good luck on the dyno. will be interesting to see the differences for sure! if i were you however, i'd take out the chip or turn it off and run one base run and then turn it ON and do the same. that way you can compare dyno runs on the same day..
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BlueCrush

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

So far so good! I am lovin' the midrange power increase. It makes a huge difference when trying to pass someone or taking the onramp onto the freeway. The shifting is also smoother on the A/T. Even before custom tuning it I feel it is worth the $500. A Highly recommended mod.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Mavrik

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by Mavrik »

Loving mine as well and good to know you didn't get a cel... I did but it has cleared out. I'm curious to see your dyno sheet afterwards. Lucky you got a awd one available to you.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
DavidPIL

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by DavidPIL »

I too felt it was well worth the cost without any special tuning. Gas mileage didn't suffer, except when juicin it. Can't wait to see your dynos.Dave
iinan

Re: (DavidPIL)

Post by iinan »

Congrats and welcome to the unichip club
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
Lancer

Re: Unichip installed...Runs Great! No CEL's.....so far.... (BlueCrush)

Post by Lancer »

Found out a cool little tidbit about the Unichip. I forgot about telling Josh @ Unichip that I was installing water injection when I last sent it in for tuning. It came back with instructions on which wire to tap into on the Unichip from the +12v from the WI. Doing so will advance timing 3-5 degrees so you'll make more hp while the WI is running. Too bad he retarded the timing on mine by mistake!
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

bummer! suppose you don't want to have it retuned do you? LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Lancer

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by Lancer »

I do want it to work right, but I'm having too much fun right now with how the car is running. (Knock on wood! Knock on wood! Knock on wood! Knock on wood!) Poor little red mustang. Damn, I just jinxed myself, didn't I.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

lancer - 1. where are the video's and 2. where is my ride along