Gas milage report

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ke4yyd

Gas milage report

Post by ke4yyd »

I have filled up three times with the following results.1. 50% highway 31 mpg2. 90% highway 33 mpg3. 95% highway 37 mpgI am happy Vibe basic FWD
Raven

Re: Gas milage report (ke4yyd)

Post by Raven »

On American gallons those are excellent numbers. I average 38mpg on a Canadian gallon, 90% highway. But with a CAI, Magnaflow exhaust and next week a DC Sports header, it's hard not to be heavy on the throttle.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

hahhahha i know how that goes sunny! I got a CAI a couple months ago and man do i like hearing the engine now!ke4yyd that 37 is a nice number!
PolarVrtX

Post by PolarVrtX »

Wow, nice!I just finished my first tank and was pretty stoked with 30 mpg, pretty much all hills and stop & go traffic. Plus I have AWD. A vast improvement on my Jeep that was clocking around 17 mpg (oof)
2006 AWD Stealth Vibe
Fincloser

Post by Fincloser »

working on my second tank of gas. the first one (always the worst one) got me 30.2 mpg. Not bad all things considered plus i am a hard driver.2006 Base 5sp Abyss
2006 Base Vibe 5sp
ke4yyd

Post by ke4yyd »

My 4th tank today with 90% highway was 34.6 mpgSome have asked (PM) about my driving habits. I have a light foot and drive mostly on 2 lane highways which requires speeds of 55 mph or so sometimes 60. I try to put over 300 miles before I fill up. I fill the tank to the top, over-riding the automatic shutoff of the pump.
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Quote, originally posted by ke4yyd »I fill the tank to the top, over-riding the automatic shutoff of the pump.It may not matter, but when you fuel up past the automatic shutoff valve (ASV) one of two things typically occur. They either jam the shutoff valve open for the next person, resulting in spillage, or it simply pumps fuel back into the stations fuel supply tank.ASVs work by venting vapors out of the fuel tank (reducing pressure) and safely storing them in the station's storage tank. The ASV senses a full tank when liquid fuel flows back past the ASV. This indicates it is full and shuts the pump off. If you continue to pump fuel past this point, you tend to pump fuel into the ASV return line, just putting fuel directly back into the service station's storage tank. The shut-off valve should trip the pump again when the sensor resets.I'm just trying to explain how they work so you may determine whether you are getting what you paid for...This has been given as the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures official reason to avoid topping off...
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
ke4yyd

Re: Gas milage report (engineertwin2)

Post by ke4yyd »

Sounds reasonable and I will try that on a tank or two and see. My concern is if I use a different pump will the auto shutoff function the same. Also, using the logic you explained my gas milage should even be better..
ke4yyd

Post by ke4yyd »

My last tank with 90% highway was 34.6 mpg using the ASV.
burkeyro

Post by burkeyro »

Finally hit 30 MPG with 85% highway driving
ke4yyd

Re: (burkeyro)

Post by ke4yyd »

Filled up today using ASV and got 36.5 mpg 95& highway.
Blue Goose

Post by Blue Goose »

I broke 37 mpg my last tank for the first time ever..almost all highway but there is a bit of stop and go traffic so I am pleased. What brand gas are you using? Same brand or station each fillup?I'm happy if I break 35 as Matrix XR Auto is only stickered at 34
binary

Post by binary »

You'll see your mileage increase steadily as you break in your drivetrain. It's a wonderful thing Almost 30k miles on my car this year... went from 33mpg to 37mpg (once, I think I had a tail wind )... and now with the summer heat, I'm back to 35 with the A/C on all the time. Some of the increase was me getting used to a lower power engine and changing my driving habits.The tint has helped keep the heat down a lot.
Blue Goose

Post by Blue Goose »

True- I have 38K on the car in just over a year. Changing your driving habits plays a huge role in mpg..stay under 3k on the tach and you should see nice results
neenahvibe

Re: Gas milage report (engineertwin2)

Post by neenahvibe »

I did the same thing as the poster on my last two fills. Thanks for the advice. With the price of gas today we sure don't need to be returning profits back into their tank!
neenahvibe

Post by neenahvibe »

I'm getting exactly the same mileage as you. How's it going on the hesitation thing at 35-40 mph. Mine did it again last night and it's unnerving me to know I spent $19K on a car and it exhibits problems that the dealer passes off as normal.
isaaclud

Post by isaaclud »

quick question....how exactly are you catsfiguring out your gas mileage?I never really learned how.....especially to the tenth of a gallon? wow...drop knowledge ya'll
PEACEISAAC
neenahvibe

Re: (isaaclud)

Post by neenahvibe »

At your next gas fill completely fill your tank per the instructions on this post, don't overfill like I did. Zero out your trip odometer. Drive until your tank low light comes on and get to a gas station. Record the mileage on your trip odometer and fill your tank as per the instructions on this posting. Take the number of miles driven say 373 miles and divide it by the number of gallons put in at this fill example: 11.126 gallons. 373 divided by 11.126 gallons will net you a nice average of 33.525 mpg. Of course it would be wise to track the type of miles as well like 50% city and 50% highway to be even more accurate. Cool?
crazytrain

Re: (binary)

Post by crazytrain »

Quote, originally posted by binary »Some of the increase was me getting used to a lower power engine and changing my driving habits.I haer ya. I'm in that mode right now. Driving the Vibe is a bit different from my other cars that had more power.
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
kep427

Re: Gas milage report (neenahvibe)

Post by kep427 »

Hey Nehah.What's this "hesitation" thing you mentioned at 35-40 mph? That does not sound right. There should be NO hesitation. Do not let the dealer get that one past you.btw; I'm originally from Cedarburg. Nice place.
Happy owner of a '04 base Vibe
isaaclud

Re: (neenahvibe)

Post by isaaclud »

thanks NEENAH...i really appreciate that*copys/pastes to text file*
PEACEISAAC
neenahvibe

Re: (isaaclud)

Post by neenahvibe »

The hesitation I mention is more of a loss of the throttle for 2-5 seconds. It's like I accelerate normally up to the 35-40mph range then the car kind of bucks and the tac goes from 1500rpm's down to like 1000rpm's then jumps around in that range for as long as 5 seconds (so far). I haven't played around with it much so far as it's only happened (noticeably) twice since I've owned it. I feel the throttle drop now and again at all speed ranges but it's barely noticeable. My game plan is to run it for another 500 miles and pay attention to the timing of the occurrences. I want to be able to replicate the problem with the dealer or I'm just going to hear the "all of these cars do it, just live with it" routine. Thanks for ask'in.
ke4yyd

Post by ke4yyd »

Last milage check yesterday was 609 miles, 17.7 gallons of independent brand gas = 34.4 mpg 90% hwy. 2100 miles on the odometer. No info yet on the "hesitation" phenomena......
Tubaryan12

Re: (ke4yyd)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

1st 5 tanks: 31.8931.7532.0032.39 35.77*mpg I never drive faster than 65mph on the freeway.*a lot less air conditioner use on this tank.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
lexicon

Consistently get 29.5 mpg with automatic 2005 Vibe... could be better...suggestions???

Post by lexicon »

The car has 21,000 miles, got it two months ago.I was expecting 33 mpg.Drive 75% fwy, the rest city.Relatively light driver. Not what I would consider agressive.Just recently went from 28psi to 34 psi, no noticeable change in gas mileage.A/C is on 75% of the time.Any suggestions on what to change, check etc.Fwy driving is around 70-75 mph (otherwise, you are going too slow for freeway traffic)I have never gotten better than 29.8 mpg.You guys that get 33mpg and above MUST be with a 5 speed tranny , Yes????????Am considering, cleaning MAF, new Air Filter, plugs should be ok, any other suggestions?
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

with the A/C on....you immediately take about 5% off the EPA estimates. That puts you close to were you should be. I have AWD, live in the hilly area. I get 23 city, 30 highway(+/- 1mpg).W/O a/c. I take another 1 -2 mpg off w/ a/c. ...All my #'s are close to the EPA. For my hilly area I don't expect more. I am fine..... Turn off the A/C and see what happens. Use the windows.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
srogers

Post by srogers »

I have been watching my gas mileage on a daily basis. I have the ScanGaugeII installed.At my last tank fillup, ScanGaugeII reported that I have 10 gallons left and the gas nozzle clicked off at 10,05 gallons. This means that the ScanGaugeII is accurately calibrated.First of all let me tell you that my car is the mileage master as determined by its purchase:2006 Matrix Xr with 5 speed manual transmission w/drive by wirethrottle.In the heat of the last week or so, with AC on, I have been averaging 34.8 mpg in my commute which is about 75% freeway and 25% city stop and go. 13.2 miles each way.Today there was a break in the heat, so that I did not need AC. Plus, I left work a little late so that I could go through the city stuff at non rush hour, thus eliminating a lot of stop and go in that part of the commute. I also decided to put all hat I've been learning from the ScanGaugeII into play. Today's mileage was 41.8. But it takes discipline.Here are my tricks.1. Make a conscious effort to accelerate slowly-- not so slowly that others behind you honk, though. 2. Do everything you can do to insure you never need to come to a complete stop. Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. If you see a red light or a slowdown ahead, it makes no sense to acclerate towards it. Let off on the gas and downshift in stages all the way down to first gear if necessary. That way, if the light changes to green or the slowdown clears you can avoid the energy needed to take the car from a dead stop to moving. Think about it in the Prius way. Do not burn gas to gain an acceleration that will be wasted in heat on your brakes. The Priius can regenerate electricity when it brakes, but a Matrix/Vibe cannot. And that energy to stop needs to be used again to get going.3, When you do slow down and need to speed up, shift early. You can shift all gears so that you are in 5th gear at 32mph on level ground if you don't try to expend energy accelerating unnecessarily. As I said, it takes discipline. There is a huge tendency to drive for snappy performance. You must give that up if you want to drive for economy.4, On the road, use cruise control as much as possible. I used to have an older version of cruise on my last car. It did not have what the Toyota criuse has. Did you know that when you set your cruise control and you start creeping up on the car in front, instead of tapping the brake, you can tap down the cruise speed 1 Mph per tap until your speed matches the car ahead? When they pull away, you can tap up your speed by 1 mph per tap. Another trick I use is when I come to an offramp to get on another freeway, and you need to slow down, just cancel the cruise and you;ll start coasting down in speed. When you again on the straignt simply resume the speed and the cruise control will gently accelerate in a fuel efficient manner.Some of the stuff I said above may only apply to the drive-by-wire throttle.
18stars

Post by 18stars »

Wow...you guys are good...I average 25-27 but granted that's with some city rush hour traffic miles each day......all in all I'm happy......when I was younger I owned a 69 Firebird 400 V8 that got an average of 6 to 7 mpg! I was at the gas station every other day....
__________________________________Current Vibe: 2007 Stealth
ke4yyd

Re: (18stars)

Post by ke4yyd »

Filled up today. Independent regular, 383.9 miles, 10.777 gal = 35.6 mpg. 95 % hwy at 55 mph. Auto tranny. AC on all the time as it is summer in Florida. Driving at freeway speeds will decrease your mpg dramatically.
jdub

Re: Consistently get 29.5 mpg with automatic 2005 Vibe... could be better...suggestions??? (lexicon)

Post by jdub »

Quote, originally posted by lexicon »I have never gotten better than 29.8 mpg.You guys that get 33mpg and above MUST be with a 5 speed tranny , Yes????????Am considering, cleaning MAF, new Air Filter, plugs should be ok, any other suggestions?What is the gear ratio on your rear end? As i've been shopping for my next vibe, i've noticed that some of them have a higher than the normal 2.96. This would negatively effect your gas mileage.
when all is said and done, we have to answer for all we've said and done
03frostygt

Post by 03frostygt »

I consistently get no better than 31 mpg on an '03 GT. That is 75% highway and not bad considering it's 80 miles an hour with the AC on.
maximum

Post by maximum »

My '05 Vibe averages 26 MPG city, 30 MPG highway with about 12K miles on it. We've never gotten better than 33 MPG doing all highway driving.I expected to get better mileage because before we bought our Vibe we rented one for a couple of weeks. The rental averaged 29/36 MPG It was the same year, trim line, transmission, etc as the one we bought (even the same color). The only difference is our Vibe has the 17" wheels.I've checked tire pressure, air filter, etc. even took it in to the service center to get it checked. All they did was connect it to a computer and said everyting checked out OK.Sure wish I knew what the difference is between our car and the one we rented. It's not like we suddenly changed driving habits.
mikey00

Re: (maximum)

Post by mikey00 »

Did your Vibe come new with the 17" wheels? If not, are we possibly looking at a speedometer error rather than an actual mileage problem?
chrisp

Re: (mikey00)

Post by chrisp »

Perhaps it was the gasoline. The oxyginated fuels deliver less energy than the hard stuff. Type of oil may also have a play in the matter. I average 33 @70-75mpg w/ A/C on freeway. Wind resistance increases with speed. You use 18% more fuel at 70 mph than at 55 mph. More or less.To save BIG, SLOW DOWN !
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by ke4yyd »Filled up today. Independent regular, 383.9 miles, 10.777 gal = 35.6 mpg. 95 % hwy at 55 mph. Auto tranny. AC on all the time as it is summer in Florida. Driving at freeway speeds will decrease your mpg dramatically.No joke there... Driving the MN to and from the north central meet - all the highways are posted 70MPH with everyone riding my (removed) at 80MPH in the right lane. My milage was in the toilet... but then my last trip with more commute was right back up there." the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Since power is the rate of doing work, exerting four times the force at twice the speed requires eight times the power. Of course, if you are going twice as fast, you would get to your destination in half the time. Thus the total energy consumption would be 4 times higher (instead of 8 times higher).It should be emphasized here that the drag equation is an approximation, and does not neccessarily give a close approximation in every instance. Thus one should be careful when making assumptions using these equations." - Source: wikipedia
Digger

Post by Digger »

what is a ScanGaugeII
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
ke4yyd

Re: (Digger)

Post by ke4yyd »

It is a cute toy that gives many readouts that may be of interest when you are totally bored and the radio doesn't work.I got one last week and it is really a nice toy. http://www.scangauge.com/
dkim1

Post by dkim1 »

hi...neehavibe...about your hesitation, i know exactly what you mean because i have the same problem until i found out the following. does it do that when your vibe is still warming up or does it hesitate when it is fully warmed up?according to toyota/pontiac, the vibe is engineered not to exceed certain rpm during warm up and will, and i don't want to say shut down, but keep the rpm down automatically until the vehicle is fully warmed up. the reason for this, from toyota/pontiac, is to keep the engine/transmission from unnecessary wear and tear. but once in a while i forget about this and floor it and once in a while i will get that hesitation. so, if it does it during warm up, then it is normal. however, not all vibe's noticeably hesitate like ours. if it does that while it's fully warmed up, then you have a problem. hope this helped to answer your hesitation problem.
ke4yyd

Re: (dkim1)

Post by ke4yyd »

Two more reports on gas milage. I have been playing with the ScanGauge toy and paying more attention on how the mpg is affected by speed. I consequently decided to change my driving habits somewhat. When I am on the highway the cruise control is set for 50 mph and the results are good. First tank was 38 mpg, 90% highway and the second tank was 38.3 mpg. I am retired so I don't have to get in a hurry. If I have an appointment, I leave home earlier. I got the Vibe to save on gas and reducing speed helps.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Scanguage seems like a fun toy as you say.Some toys cost more than others I guess.I know it plugs in under the dash.Is it easy to learn how to use.I am kind of computer illiterate. Thanks
schroeder

Re: (schroeder)

Post by schroeder »

Just noticed My spelling and typing isn't much better.
06Moonstone

Re: gas mileage

Post by 06Moonstone »

A trip to Vermont for the weekend; 80+ mph blitz on I-91 to get there; 45 mph on Route 5 return trip, with some sightseeing and antiquing thrown in ( along with an excellent barbeque dinner in an ex-church in Northampton MA called "Holy Smokes").Trip up, 27 mpg; trip back 36. Car's a base 5speed with 2000 miles.
zionzr2

Re: gas mileage (06Moonstone)

Post by zionzr2 »

Here are a few of my stats:
shane_c

Post by shane_c »

Over the last 20 fill ups I've averaged 41.5 mpg. My best was 45 and my worst 38. These are Canadian gallons.
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
srogers

Post by srogers »

Quote, originally posted by ke4yyd »I consequently decided to change my driving habits somewhat. When I am on the highway the cruise control is set for 50 mph and the results are good. First tank was 38 mpg, 90% highway and the second tank was 38.3 mpg. I am retired so I don't have to get in a hurry. If I have an appointment, I leave home earlier. I got the Vibe to save on gas and reducing speed helps. I have done the same thing, only I set my CC to 55 mph. I also use a technique that tries, as much as possible, to never stop the Matrix. That means slowing down very much early when I see a red light ahead and coasting to a stop is necessary. If the light changes and traffic clears early enough, I can do a 2nd gear rolling start or a 1st gear start while still slowly rolling. I'm getting 40+ mpg on my daily commute to workwith AC off lately its a little cooler). I expect my first 39 mpg total for a whole tank on current tank. Had a 10 mile trip with my huge 300+lb son in law with a little AC on. 33mpg )-; on that segment.
srogers

Re: (shane_c)

Post by srogers »

Quote, originally posted by shane_c »Over the last 20 fill ups I've averaged 41.5 mpg. My best was 45 and my worst 38. These are Canadian gallons. That's 35 US for your best and 32 US for your worst. Based on the EPA 30/36, I'd say you are right about there.What I'm trying to do is to employ extraordinary measures to eek out the max MPG.I'm working on 39 US average for a tank.
ke4yyd

Re: (srogers)

Post by ke4yyd »

The main point is reducing the speed 10 mph will potentialy increase mpg over 10%. That is something everyone can do to conserve. If one chooses to drive at high speeds they have no right to complain about gas prices.
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by ke4yyd »The main point is reducing the speed 10 mph will potentialy increase mpg over 10%. That is something everyone can do to conserve. If one chooses to drive at high speeds they have no right to complain about gas prices. Yeah, what he said.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
NewNeptune

Re: Gas milage report (srogers)

Post by NewNeptune »

[QUOTE=srogers]I have been watching my gas mileage on a daily basis. I have the ScanGaugeII installed.[/q]Do you have pics of it installed? Looks like this might be my next mod, if it's not too hard. [QUOTE=srogers]4, On the road, use cruise control as much as possible. I used to have an older version of cruise on my last car. It did not have what the Toyota criuse has. Did you know that when you set your cruise control and you start creeping up on the car in front, instead of tapping the brake, you can tap down the cruise speed 1 Mph per tap until your speed matches the car ahead? When they pull away, you can tap up your speed by 1 mph per tap. Another trick I use is when I come to an offramp to get on another freeway, and you need to slow down, just cancel the cruise and you;ll start coasting down in speed. When you again on the straignt simply resume the speed and the cruise control will gently accelerate in a fuel efficient manner.[/q]Hahahahaha! Maybe fuel efficient if you have control over the transmission, but in the auto the CC gets very impatient very quickly. If you aren't up to the set speed after about 3-4 MPH, it will execute a 4-3 downshift, then if you still aren't up after another 3-4 MPH, it will execute a 3-2 downshift. And mine does have the dbw.
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base, Automatic, Power PackageSony CDX-GT300Upgraded Horns
srogers

Re: Gas milage report (NewNeptune)

Post by srogers »

Quote, originally posted by NewNeptune »Hahahahaha! Maybe fuel efficient if you have control over the transmission, but in the auto the CC gets very impatient very quickly. If you aren't up to the set speed after about 3-4 MPH, it will execute a 4-3 downshift, then if you still aren't up after another 3-4 MPH, it will execute a 3-2 downshift. And mine does have the dbw.That's bad for the auto tranny for fuel savings. My wife's Honda Civic is like that. Resume is almost passing gear. You might need to use the Cancel, coast, reset and then bump up gradually technique.Quote, originally posted by NewNeptune » I have been watching my gas mileage on a daily basis. I have the ScanGaugeII installed.[/q]Do you have pics of it installed? Looks like this might be my next mod, if it's not too hard. I have an aftermarket radio with the little plastic shelf underneath. What I did was to mount the SGII using long foam fingers that fit inside that little plastic shelf. If you don't have that then mounting will require some engineering on the dash. Don't turn the $170 accessory in to the $5000 accessory by having it cause you to run into the guy ahead of you. Looking at my SGII is like looking at the radio tuner. Quick glance only.Sorry, no pix at present.