'03 GT 2nd->3rd gear problem??

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
slappy434

'03 GT 2nd->3rd gear problem??

Post by slappy434 »

Hey all,I'm brand new to this board, so Hi. My girlfriend is looking at Vibes and Vibes only. She found an '03 GT 6-speed and LOVES it. The only problem, which I have a question about, is.....when shifting from 2nd to 3rd there is a wierd chrunching/grinding noise. It doesn't sound like when you typically grind the gears (like you don't know how to drive a stick yet) it sounds like the gear is having a hard time going into 3rd. It doesn't happen on any other gears, only 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 3rd. The dealer told me it was the "Gear Synchronizer"?!?! I dont' know enough about manual transmissions to know, and I haven't found much anywhere regarding it. I've found a few posts here and there on other boards but nothing detailing this. Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing?? They said they'd repair it before we bought it, but also I don't know what goes into doing this. Does it mean that they'll have to rebuild some portion of the transmission?? Anyways, if anyone can help please let me know. I'll probably start frequenting this forum for advice from you all who are more experienced and to give my input from what I find about her new purchase (when she decides on one) Thanks for any help you all can provide.-D
Mrizzle05

Re: '03 GT 2nd->3rd gear problem?? (slappy434)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

it could be the clutch slipping... a few earlier GT owners were having problems with that. its not on all, but it may be in your case... i dont know a whole lot about trannies and all but thats what it might be.Hope this helps and others will post soon... and welcome to the site
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Clutch slip on the GTs generally applies where, if the clutch is 'released', meaning the gear is engaged, the clutch is not fully gripping, so you can literally rev the engine without going anywhere in gear.You should NOT be hearing a crunching / grinding noise every time you shift into a gear. Yes, at times the shifts can be hard, but it's not right.It's possible they may have to rebuild part of the transmission. No matter what, they'll probably have to take the tranny apart. I'd make sure it's fixed before you sign anything. If they won't fix it, then you're sure to have problems later on down the line, and they're just trying to make a buck off you.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
slappy434

Post by slappy434 »

It doesn't seem as if its slipping. It is definately making it into gear, but making an odd grind noise and then just kicks into gear without rocking or jarring the car at all. It almost seems like it just has a problem getting into gear when you force it. It usually goes into gear when the RPM's are lower and/or if you ease it into 3rd. Also, too, even if they fix it, is this probably a good indication that another one will go out later on? Thanks to all who have any input. This is cool, I like hearing from other Vibe owners about this situation. -D
iinan

Re: (slappy434)

Post by iinan »

I bought my 04 GT brand spankin new and it has never shifted smooth, its very notchy and you smell the clutch burning when starting on most hills. I have owned sticks for over 20 years and this is the worst shifting car of them all.....I also like this car more then most of my other cars ....If you get a GT get used to the quarky shifting
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

Yeah, the stick and clutch on this car are very 'odd' compared to most.Even still, it does sound like it could be a syncro problem.My advice on getting the tranny to do better is to dump the stock clutch and get something beefier. I've had a 6-puck ceramic in mine the last few months and I haven't been able to burn it yet.Also, do a search for 'shifter bushings'. The stock rubber ones leave a lot of 'play' between the gears, making it a pain to actually get in gear sometimes. Getting the brass bushings helps out with that a lot and makes the whole shifting process a lot more precise.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
slappy434

Post by slappy434 »

iinan - I've noticed that it does shift a little odd from all other manuals I've driven, its got a very short "throw" distance between gears and its definately quirky to shift.jahntassa - I'll definately look into that when she decides on one because I notcied the same thing you're talking about, there seems to be play there before the gears actually engage. Also I never knew that about brass bushings either. Good to know!
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i'd say spare yourself any and all aggrevation and find another vibe (GT).i'm sure there are plenty more in the reston area...it's not like you're in the middle of nowhere!
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
slappy434

Re: (Atomb)

Post by slappy434 »

yeah, that may be what we end up doing. It is pretty cheap though ($9,999). But that may be for good reason. In fact, there are some, but not as many as one might expect, they're in high demand, and with good reason. Another question I've got which is sort of off topic is - are the GT's significantly better than the regular 5 speeds, aside from the obvious standard features? Is the engine that much better? or just the things that come with it and possible mod ability.Thanks-D
iinan

Post by iinan »

Hitting lift in a GT is fun But a base can get SuperCharged Which is better ? I dunno, but I would not trade my GT for a Base never ever ever ever
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
theangrydwarf1

Post by theangrydwarf1 »

The base 5-speed has the 1zz engine and the GT has the 2zz, there are some differences between the two. The 2zz has a higher compression ratio of 11.5 to 1. It also has lift, which is a larger cam profile that engages at 6500rpms. These are just a few, others can elaborate on the differences.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." AE"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." AE"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
Psychobroker

Re: '03 GT 2nd->3rd gear problem?? (slappy434)

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by slappy434 »Hey all,I'm brand new to this board, so Hi. My girlfriend is looking at Vibes and Vibes only. She found an '03 GT 6-speed and LOVES it. The only problem, which I have a question about, is.....when shifting from 2nd to 3rd there is a wierd chrunching/grinding noise. It doesn't sound like when you typically grind the gears (like you don't know how to drive a stick yet) it sounds like the gear is having a hard time going into 3rd. It doesn't happen on any other gears, only 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 3rd. The dealer told me it was the "Gear Synchronizer"?!?! I dont' know enough about manual transmissions to know, and I haven't found much anywhere regarding it. I've found a few posts here and there on other boards but nothing detailing this. Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing?? They said they'd repair it before we bought it, but also I don't know what goes into doing this. Does it mean that they'll have to rebuild some portion of the transmission?? Anyways, if anyone can help please let me know. I'll probably start frequenting this forum for advice from you all who are more experienced and to give my input from what I find about her new purchase (when she decides on one) Thanks for any help you all can provide.-Dyes, it's a syncro, and a BAD one at that. I wouldn't buy that Vibe unless they inspected and FIXED that synchro. Clutch slippage is totally different, as pointed out by Jahntassa.
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

Find a different one.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
ColonelPanic

Re: (goodvibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by goodvibe »Find a different one. I don't know nothin' bout shiftin' no trannies but I will say that's darn good advice. I know you don't want transmission problems period, had that with my ol' Vibe's automatic. Find something else.Besides, the transmission may not be the only problem, the previous owner probably dogged the hell out of that thing. No telling what else could be wrong it, hiding under there... eek! BTW, slappy, as far as differences go, dont' forget that with the GT she will have to spend 20 cents more for each gallon since the GT requires a mininum of 91 octane fuel, whereas the base and AWD engine does fine on 87.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
slappy434

Post by slappy434 »

Alright, I'm glad I posted on here. you all provide good reasurance and great advice. We didn't go with that one, especially after I read the last 3 posts....and I'm glad we didn't. She ended up getting an '03 base instead, less miles, side airbags, much much smoother shifting. Dude...I can't thank you guys enough. I've gotten more than I expected from here. This board is mad informative and I'll definately stop back by for good reading.To everyone who's posted in response: I send my best. And she (and I) love the one she has. It is a great driving vehicle and damn versitile at that. I feel a whole lot better about the new one than the other one. After hearing everyones opinion's and doing a little research on transmissions it's definatley best not to have bought the GT....even if it is significantly quicker. Very valuable resources on here and I know I'll be back for more info. So for those of you who've contributed, both of us are much appreciative. We look forward to owning this vehicle. Again, to all: Thanks-D
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Congratulations! It sounds like you guys made the right choice. I'm happy to hear the news. Welcome to the family, hope to see you both around. And I'm sure you'll be asked by many to share some pictures.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
BlackBear

Post by BlackBear »

I just found this thread and I also drive an 03 GT VIBE AND HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Problem is I own the car and don't have a whole lot of money to spend on fixing or installing a new transmission. What would be the best way to go about this? The shift grind has always grinded into 2nd and 3rd, and I've been driving this car for 2 years. It's got about 130,000 miles on it. thinking about trying Jahntassa's method, but would this really help the synchro mesh problem?
star_deceiver

Re: (BlackBear)

Post by star_deceiver »

Try changing to a heavier full synth tranny fluid like an 80w-140 or some redline shockproof gear oil (red bottle).
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)