High pitch whine or whistle

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
SublimeVibe

High pitch whine or whistle

Post by SublimeVibe »

Has anyone else had a problem with their vibe making a high pitch noise coming from the engine compartmnet?It seems to only happen when the car is over 3000 rpm ,when I press on the gas to over take someone theres a noise that sounds like a whine or whistle that I can hear for a bit then it stops I let go of the gas let it get down to 80k ,then I hit the accerlateror and its there again .The noise is also there when I hit the acc. hard in neutral so I don't think its the tranny ,but I can be wrong .
2003 VibeAWD Envy(sublime)wCharcoalPower pkg.Enkei EVO5 Hyper Black 07/08Vibe floor matsMud flaps Hood DeflectorLimo tint on rear and side windowsstainless steel insterts
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

maybe a hose is loose or leaking? check your hoses for holes/cuts or if they came loose. Have someone rev the car up a little with the hood open and you try to hunt it down.I suppose it could be a belt too...
Digger

Post by Digger »

sounds like a air leak in the intake. Check the seal around the air filter. or the bolts on the throtle body, or the hose from the filter to the TB.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
SublimeVibe

Re: (Digger)

Post by SublimeVibe »

I had an accident and they had to replace the fender on the drivers side ,I'll take a look around the air box and check it out .Thanks fellow owners
2003 VibeAWD Envy(sublime)wCharcoalPower pkg.Enkei EVO5 Hyper Black 07/08Vibe floor matsMud flaps Hood DeflectorLimo tint on rear and side windowsstainless steel insterts
nkaltso

Re: High pitch whine or whistle (SublimeVibe)

Post by nkaltso »

Do you have a Manual Transmission. and how many miles do you have on the car.
NickNeptune Vibe5 spd, Nav, side airbags, monotone,
joatmon

Re: High pitch whine or whistle (nkaltso)

Post by joatmon »

Sublime's signature says AWD, so it's an auto tranny.Did the people who replaced the fender have any trouble matching that rare envy color?
SublimeVibe

Re: High pitch whine or whistle (joatmon)

Post by SublimeVibe »

No probs there .Matched it 99.9% to the colour of the car.They blended it in cause the rest of the car is 3 1/2 years old.I'm the only one who notices the .1% cause its my car and I polish it 2-3 times a month and wash it 1-3 times a week depending on the weather.But back to the whine of the car.My wife had the car today as she wasss the one bringing the car in and she said it didn't make the noise today .So I will have to take a run with it Wednesday and check it out,I didn't have a chance to look at the airbox cause it was raining all weekend.I'll keep yah posted .
sbaxter

Re: High pitch whine or whistle

Post by sbaxter »

I have a similar issue with my 2003 Envy Vibe (automatic).

It started before I replaced my transmission, and is still there today, so it's not my transmission.

It's actually present at all times, but you can only hear in the back seat. When I hit 3000 rpm the whine kicks into high gear and permeates the entire car, but again louder in the backseat.