Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (XRS/GT)

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
SyKoTiC

Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (XRS/GT)

Post by SyKoTiC »

Hey guys, i own a Matrix XRS. i check out this site, cuz we all got the same cars, just different looks. and i have question to ask you guys, what do yall think is the best exaust? catback or muffler. thanks yall, keep revvin high and smokin the competition. peace.
SyKoTiC

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (SyKoTiC)

Post by SyKoTiC »

i see alot of people say Thermal R and D. why do you guys choose that? any particular reason?
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

A couple reason's are:*It's a do-it-yourself job. All you need is two sockets and a wrench.*Polished stainless steel. Very shiney and looks great!*Reputation. I've heard nothing but good stuff from import owners.*2.25" cat back.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
MYKIDSGT

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (DopeVibeGT)

Post by MYKIDSGT »

After hearing the sound clips from the Thermal R&D the other day, i would have to say that Thermal R&D is the way to go !
MYKIDSGT VIBE GT ABYSS POWER/MOON & TUNES19" MILLE MIGLIA RIMS MICHELIN PILOT SPORT # 225/40ZRPics are Here http://members.cardomain.com/mykidsgt
CaCathy13

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (MYKIDSGT)

Post by CaCathy13 »

What about the George Martin Design exhaust?I emailed him for info and haven't heard back yet...anyone have an opinion on his? Note to mods: I already have seen the thread with Martin's emails in it
CathyWhen this baby hits 6.000rpm's, you're gonna see some serious sh*t-Got Lift?'03 Neptune Vibe GT: SLP Hood, AEM CAI, Thermal R&D exhaust, Unorthodox underdrive pullies, K&N filter, G-Racing 17' Mito's, TEIN Springs, yellow calipers, GrafxWerks, Silverstar's, XM, Infinity basslink-more mods to come!http://www.mitro.net/vibe
dmitri

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (CaCathy13)

Post by dmitri »

Thermal is definitely far from the best.Thermal is one of the worst up there actually. I would choose Bassani if i got an exhaust, but i did custom exhaust. 1.It might sound good but they use garbage packing material that burns out after a while. 2. All the jobs are do it yourself, so that doesnt make theirs any better. 3. It's really really overpriced.
dmitri

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (silverawd26)

Post by dmitri »

i know alot of ricers that have them on their civics and after a year or so the packing inside gets burnt out and it really sounds bad. It's also really over priced.
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

screw borla man do a custom exhaust http://www.summitracing.com has a million great mufflers and any shop will weld it up with bigger piping even if u want.
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

doesnt matter anyone can do it if they have proper equipment and itll probably still end up being cheaper then borla, and just as good.
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

anything can be done my friend go to any good performance shop around you.
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

do it!thats a decent price for using stainless piping actually. And, you know the guy so if somethings wrong etc you can bring it to him. Anyway a Borla is a while away, and its probably going to be more then that. go for it
dmitri

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (dmitri)

Post by dmitri »

u gonna do it?
nismo

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (dmitri)

Post by nismo »

I would recommend the Magnaflow because that is a TRUE catback exhaust system and you would get the best power out of that.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
Psychobroker

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (TRD4reel)

Post by Psychobroker »

Holy old thread, Batman!But yes, Magnaflow!
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

So wheres the soundclips?
nismo

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by nismo »

Magnaflow has a sound and video clip for the base. here's the link:http://www.magnaflow.com/04sou...c.htmThat's the direct link to the actual video. Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

Yeah I saw the video on Magnaflows site, doesnt sound too good.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Yeah, honestly though, I didn't really buy the Magnaflow for the sound, I bought it for the fact that it is the only true catback made for our cars. And yes, the exhaust doesn't sound good on their site. But when I bought it and installed it, I think it sounded great. Ask Merzbow. He's heard and driven my car.Inder
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

Any websites for Vibe parts?
nismo

Post by nismo »

I found the best price for my exhaust for $330 shipped was at http://www.performancepeddler.com . For my intake, I got that for $225 for the black intake. I got that from http://www.ultrarev.comInder
Psychobroker

Re: (TRD4reel)

Post by Psychobroker »

Um, my Magnaflow exhaust sounds awesome in person...that's all I gots to say
PhillyVibeGT

Re: (Psychobroker)

Post by PhillyVibeGT »

Let me add my 2 cents to this old/new topic. You guys and gals are no help at all I've been looking at exhaust systems/ mufflers for about a month now and no one can agree on one company. I have no problem spending the money but I want to be sure what I buy is the best for my car and doesn't sound like some 18 yr. old's civic. I had a Borla system on my Camino but when dealing with big cubic inches anything sounds great unless you go and put flowmasters on it IMHO. What to do? So many, mnay choices....AHHHHHH!!!
04 GT Satellite Monotone17'' Fittipaldi Fins on Falkin Azenis ST115'sMoon and Tunes/Sirius Satallite RadioInjen CAI/Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust GM Top Spoiler/Debaged SilverStar Fogs "I wasn’t born rich, I’m good looking instead"
PhillyVibeGT

Post by PhillyVibeGT »

Just looked at the magnaflow clip that Inder posted, although I have a GT and not a base, listening to the sound clip. I don't think that is the sound I'm looking for.
04 GT Satellite Monotone17'' Fittipaldi Fins on Falkin Azenis ST115'sMoon and Tunes/Sirius Satallite RadioInjen CAI/Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust GM Top Spoiler/Debaged SilverStar Fogs "I wasn’t born rich, I’m good looking instead"
damronjr

Re: (PhillyVibeGT)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by PhillyVibeGT »Just looked at the magnaflow clip that Inder posted, although I have a GT and not a base, listening to the sound clip. I don't think that is the sound I'm looking for.I want to make and post a clip of my Base with a Flowmaster cat-back. It sounds really good, but I don't know how to post it here when I make it.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
theangrydwarf1

Post by theangrydwarf1 »

I just put my new magnaflow exhaust on and it has a great sporty note. IMOH
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." AE"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." AE"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
nismo

Post by nismo »

I will get a sound/video clip when it gets a little warmer. It's been quite chilly lately.Inder
Smokin' Rubber

Post by Smokin' Rubber »

Quote, originally posted by PhillyVibeGT » I've been looking at exhaust systems/ mufflers for about a month now and no one can agree on one company. All due to personal preference really, I mean if you are willing to fork over the money just by a BIG axle back muffler and get the rest of the piping custom done, or you can go with the magnaflow which is already a full cat back (with smaller piping than say a custom job). So its all about what you want personally. We aren't going to decide for you, you just need to look at t he pros and cons of all the things people have said about the the exhausts and choose something you feel fits you best
Psychobroker

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by PhillyVibeGT »Let me add my 2 cents to this old/new topic. You guys and gals are no help at all I've been looking at exhaust systems/ mufflers for about a month now and no one can agree on one company. I have no problem spending the money but I want to be sure what I buy is the best for my car and doesn't sound like some 18 yr. old's civic. I had a Borla system on my Camino but when dealing with big cubic inches anything sounds great unless you go and put flowmasters on it IMHO. What to do? So many, mnay choices....AHHHHHH!!!I don't understand why you're even considering anything else . Borla's isn't even a true cat-back! Magnaflow's is the only "out-of-the-box" cat-back system I am aware of...the difference in sound is negligible. If all you care about is sound, why don't you buy one of those "fireball" mufflers and a turbo whistler to boot EDIT: Added "out-of-the-box" for Mr. Damron
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Mine is a "cat-back", but actually they just cut off the whole exhaust after the resonator, ran new piping from there back with a flowmaster muffler and chrome tip. It looks and sounds great, though. The optioned to remove the resonator, but said it would sound 'ricier" which I didn't want, so I left it on.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
Psychobroker

Re: (Smokin' Rubber)

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by Smokin’ Rubber »All due to personal preference really, I mean if you are willing to fork over the money just by a BIG axle back muffler and get the rest of the piping custom done, or you can go with the magnaflow which is already a full cat back (with smaller piping than say a custom job). So its all about what you want personally. We aren't going to decide for you, you just need to look at t he pros and cons of all the things people have said about the the exhausts and choose something you feel fits you best Isn't 2.5mm piping sufficient?
Psychobroker

Re: (damronjr)

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by damronjr »Mine is a "cat-back", but actually they just cut off the whole exhaust after the resonator, ran new piping from there back with a flowmaster muffler and chrome tip. It looks and sounds great, though. The optioned to remove the resonator, but said it would sound 'ricier" which I didn't want, so I left it on.Cool. FYI though, Magnaflow's comes with a replacement resonator, so yours is more like a reso-back exhaust (just pokin' fun bro)
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Psychobroker »Cool. FYI though, Magnaflow's comes with a replacement resonator, so yours is more like a reso-back exhaust (just pokin' fun bro)No, you're right, but it still sounds good. I'll try to record and post it tonight. I still need to install my rear spacers!
Mase

Re: (TRD4reel)

Post by Mase »

What a terrible quality video for selling a product based on sound! That clip sounds a whole lot different than mine. I think the Vibe in the vid was a 1zz..right?Here's a vid of my XRS (GT) with the Magnaflow cat-back:mase94736.wmv
Psychobroker

Re: (Mase)

Post by Psychobroker »

Awsome vid Mase! the second portion (lift) is just lovely. Gotta love 70mph in 3rd gear I think this clip should settle the "sound" arguement.EDIT: Magnaflow's dyno sheet on an XRS:
Smokin' Rubber

Post by Smokin' Rubber »

Yeah probably, but none the less you will probably get more horsepower from slightly larger pipes (and don't say anything about back pressure cause I have never seen and evidence supporting that and every source I trust like the most recent encyclopedia for mechanics, howstuffworks.com, as well as our own MadBill do not believe in back pressure )
damronjr

Re: (damronjr)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by damronjr »No, you're right, but it still sounds good. I'll try to record and post it tonight. I still need to install my rear spacers! Ok, so I recorded it this morning in the parking lot and will try to get it posted tonight after I get off of work as my digicam USB cable and program are on the comp at home. Still didn't get the spacers installed either Oh well, I will surely do it right after work!
irishroach77

Post by irishroach77 »

I would say magna flow is the way to go. great sound, easy installation, and well it looks pretty good
03 vibe base modelK&N cold air intakeMagnaflow cat back exhaustCamconNeon incab displaycarbon fiber filmed door trimBridgestone Potenza G019 Grid
Amtron

Re: (irishroach77)

Post by Amtron »

Gravedigger.But I think I'm going to go with Magnaflow too when I get my exhaust. The two shops I went to to get prices both said Magnalfow is the way to go.
high revin

Post by high revin »

I bought the borla for mine! And have loved it from the time it was bolted on!Picked up throttle response aswell simply because they are a tuned exaust for that engine. Borla does some amazing work!Plus the Stainless finsih was amazing aswell.Not that i have any gripe with magnaflow on the vibe the Borla i thought sounded and performned better for my hot rod went with the magnaflow 3" again just personal prefrences, for the hot rod!
Amtron

Re: (high revin)

Post by Amtron »

What size tip is the borla? Is it cat-back? and if so what size from the cat-back?
ajflan

Re: (Amtron)

Post by ajflan »

The Borla is an axle back design with a 4 inch tip.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
kevera

Re: (ajflan)

Post by kevera »

The Borla sounds awesome IMHO,better than magnapoo.BTW guys,this is a 2zz exhaust thread,just so ya know.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
H20Hardcore

Post by H20Hardcore »

I did Borla on my 03GT and Im not really happy with it. Its not THAT much better/louder/different sounding than my stock was,but it dosnt sound horrible or anything just not purrrrfect which is what I'd expect for the price which was way more than I paid for the magnaflow setup I have on my SVT Focus. I personally love their(MAGNAFLOW's)stuff great quality perfect fit not too loud or "ricey" just purrrrfect and holds up well in these WI winters.
03GT(R1),Abyss,2tone,Pp,Dynamat Hoodliner,Optima Red Batt,K&N SRI w/removed DS FL(2 pipe cool air up to SRI),DCSports F STB,Cust R STB,Eibach springs,Monroe struts,Hotchkis F&R Anti roll bars,Stock17"s w/Dunlop Graspic Snows,SSC17"s w/Fusion HRI 4summer,Cust Red up grills,alum.honeycomb low grills,Weather Tech vent/visors,Night Shaded tails,Borla Exhaust,Sony CD,Pioneer Premier doors,VR3 8"all in1 sub/amp combo,Disable reverse beep &DRL's,Cust K&N cabin filter,60K+mi
high revin

Post by high revin »

Couldnt be happier with my Borla on my 03 gt And i have to disagree about the purrrrrrr this unit is a tuned exaust and is fairly mellow at idle but seems to help the torque and pick up off throttle and really comes alive and screams at 3,200 rpms and up is were you really here it sing.Im a big fan of magnaflows but for this particular car and engine was more happy with the borla. and as for the money they are pricey but always remember!Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!
JazzyVibe

Re: (high revin)

Post by JazzyVibe »

I currently have no muffler. It's rather quiet, and not too raspy. You can hear it in a video I posted in the Michigan roll call.
DirtDevil

Post by DirtDevil »

I had a thermal on my Matrix. Then i changed to magnaflow to see the difference. In my opinion the thermal catback sounds ways better than the magnaflow but the magnaflow sounded mean too
Turner Buick GMC(717)354-4451 x122(484)639-1921I dare you to call me
Zipperzeppa

Re: Best exhaust for the 2zz engine (XRS/GT)

Post by Zipperzeppa »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LH8COO/re ... _ttl_sol_0

Sounds and looks great. Very affordable. See a video here of the same setup as mine https://youtu.be/VCtvce4vvOo
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

What comes out of an exhaust system depends very much on what goes in.
A 4 cylinder will NEVER sound like a 6 or 8.
Just keep that in mind.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Zipperzeppa wrote:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LH8COO/re ... _ttl_sol_0

Sounds and looks great. Very affordable. See a video here of the same setup as mine https://youtu.be/VCtvce4vvOo
I barely wanted a 4in tip on my turbo Supra's exhaust and the rest of it's exhaust is much larger diameter than almost anything you'll ever need for the Vibe. I couldn't imagine how silly I would feel w/a 4in tip on my Vibe's exhaust. IMO, of course.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage