Sudden gas mileage boost.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Cougar Vibe

Sudden gas mileage boost.

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Recently my wife started using our Vibe ('05 AWD, ~6K) as her commuter car. Previously, I was getting about the claimed 24/30 gas mileage with a blend of city and highway. However, at 5K I did my third oil change (yes, don't ask) and did a few new things, notably I switched over to Pennzoil Platinum, I began using the larger OEM YZZF1 filter, added a bottle of Techron, and started fueling up exclusively at the local Chevron. Oh, I also handed it over to her and she's driven it ever since. Well, with a similar mix of driving with her commute, it looks like she's averaging about 32mpg! Not 32 on the highway, but 32 in general. This is a very nice surprise, but I'm "bothered" by the fact that I didn't get anywhere near that gas mileage. Now I know she drives fairly conservatively, keeping the RPM's under 3K except when merging onto the highway or similar, so I expect that she's keeping the RPM's in the most fuel efficient range as much as possible. Plus, there is also the fact that we're emerging out of the initial break-in phase. And hey, maybe the fuel treatment, switch from Mobil 1 t PP, and greater oil capacity is having a positive effect. But that much? Anybody else averaging 32mpg with their AWD? If this becomes the norm for my Vibe, I might have to rethink buying a Fit or Versa and instead add a second AWD (before they quit making them).
ToolGuy

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (Cougar Vibe)

Post by ToolGuy »

Sounds great! Lots of factors here that could contribute...The summer gases may have started arriving in your area. The Techron did its job and I know this sounds strange since your car does not have lots of miles but I have seen bad spray patterns on brand new injectors. Once cleaned they are where they should be. We have an electronic tool that shows a graph and print out of each injector. We tested it on a brand new Corvette from GM and discovered a couple of the injectors were not were they should be. One bottle of Techron fixed that right up!The other factor is the oil you are using.
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Dude, you need to take some driving lessons from your wife. HaHaHaHaHa!
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
scherry2

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (djb383)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by djb383 »Dude, you need to take some driving lessons from your wife. HaHaHaHaHa! I was going to say something like that but held back.
Kari

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (scherry2)

Post by Kari »

I also agree that driving style is probably the biggest factor in the increased gas mileage. I get sticker mileage or above out of mine, and often get 40+ on the highway during long trips, basically due to the way I was taught to drive -- to roll gently in and out of the throttle. These cars seem to be very sensitive to the way they are driven, as far as gas mileage is concerned.
GenVibe Global Moderator
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

wow I need lessons from you kari I drive around like a F1 racer everywhere and get like 28. Ill be grabbing a bottle of techron soon and see what that does.
CFD911

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by CFD911 »

the panziol platnum is that a synthetic oil?cause I am wondering if it is worht the money to switch to symthetic if I would save it in gas (especially with these prices)
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Yes, the PP is synthetic. Walmart carries for the 5qt jug for $18.97, but Advance Auto and Pep Boys have been running rebate sales lately on 6qt cases. After the rebate it comes out to a little less than $15. I picked up three cases (three different addresses), so between that and the half-price M1 I got last winter, I'm set for the next twelve oil changes. Note: Quaker State Synthetic is the exact same oil as PP, so if it's on sale, buy that instead. They're coming from the same spigot...That being said, I don't think it has that much to do with the MPG gains my wife's getting. However, the PP is much quieter than the M1 I ran before, and it's a lot cheaper. BTW: I'm going to do two runs of the Walmart SuperTech Synthetic (5qt jug=$12), just to see how it compares. I've seen some UOA's of this stuff on other Toyota engines, and it seems to be pretty good, though it's not an extended-OCI oil. I got a bunch of Valvoline SynPower Oil Treatment that I'll add, to beef up the additive pack. However, I think it'll only take 4oz's of SynPower for 4qts of ST Synthetic, which would be about $13 for a full synthetic oil change. Pretty cheap!
Kari

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Kari »

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just not drive like an F1 racer everywhere? LOL
GenVibe Global Moderator
Cougar Vibe

Re: (Kari)

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I guess I should point out that my Vibe is AWD, so F-1 driving has never been a consideration. However, I can do a mean impression of Michael Schumacher's chin.
northvibe

Re: (Kari)

Post by northvibe »

bah, then wheres the fun in driving? maybe i just need some duracell batteries to power the engine when at full throttle
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »bah, then wheres the fun in driving? Ditto... I drive my car like crazy most of the time, that's the fun part.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
northvibe

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Cougar Vibe »I guess I should point out that my Vibe is AWD, so F-1 driving has never been a consideration. However, I can do a mean impression of Michael Schumacher's chin. AWD? then you should be rally racing when you drive!! drift those corners
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

With my PT Cruiser, driving style really does not effect the car like in this case.
Digger

Post by Digger »

It must be the gas here in Ohio. My AWD just saw a 20%+ jump in MPG also. Also the warmer weather letts it warm up much faster. I am nolonger screeminbg down 42in 2nd. at 55 mph.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
Petrucci914

Re: (Digger)

Post by Petrucci914 »

When I first got my car in October I averaged about 31mpg. After the intake, synthetic oil, techron fuel cleaner, I average 26mpg all the friggin time. It could be winter gas and the summer gas didn't arrive yet but I'm getting a bit annoyed. Anyone think it could be the fuel filter? I'm getting the tranny flushed soon so maybe that'll allow it to work a bit easier, I dunno. Suggestions?
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Man of Steel

Post by Man of Steel »

I have 15K miles on my AWD and get anywhere from 29 to 31 back and forth to work if I keep in under 80mph. If I drive any faster than the mileage nosedives big time down to about 25-26mpg. Got 33mpg twice driving from Pittsburgh back to central PA on the turnpike with the cruise locked in at about 76mph. I use purolator filters, regular oil, (exxon, shell , havoline) whatever is on sale and change every 3-4K miles. Can't believe they're going to discontiue the AWD's in 07. What a bunch of pinheads at GM.
05 AWD.
tnpartsguy

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (Man of Steel)

Post by tnpartsguy »

Ok, the MPG thing is really getting to me. I usually get around 22 or so around town. I understnad why, because I live right at a mile from work, adn most of my trips around town are less then 5 miles, ect; BUT We just took a trip to Suffolk VA, for my brother-in-law's wedding (same bro-in-law that is currently stationed on the Truman) Listen to these MPG figures!Leg 1 25.7 (me driving a/c of for defroster, we left at 2 am)Leg 2 31.9 (wife driving, no ac)Leg 3 27.3 (split between me & Teena, some AC)coming backLeg 4 25.6 (me & mother in law split driving a/c on again for defroster we left at 1 am)Leg 5 32.3 (Teena driving)Leg 6 UNK (havn't filled back up yet)7+ MPG difference??
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
pianomansam

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (tnpartsguy)

Post by pianomansam »

I've noticed a sudden gas mileage boost in my auto Vibe base. It seemed to start happening earlier in the spring though. I creditted this to the fact that I had broken the engine in since it was over 10k. idk, though. Last week I managed to pull 36MPG going 75mph on the highway!
2003 Two-tone White Vibe GT 6-speedSeveral other cars2005 Two-tone Neptune Vibe Auto (sold)
iinan

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (pianomansam)

Post by iinan »

Anytime a wazzu vibe uses UW gas it always does better someone musta sent you some of our gas!
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
Digger

Re: Sudden gas mileage boost. (pianomansam)

Post by Digger »

Same here in Ohio they stop using the winter mix which reduces the MPG. Also the warm starts help out alot.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

sounds like female vibe drivers get the best mileage ... i need to find a gf soon
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Yes, I do believe there is a significant amount of truth to that statement. Kari's Vibe always does good, it usually beat mine. We never got to test ol' Sir Knocksalot, I should have let her drive the car for a tank on a trip and I'll drive another, then compare notes... Was it a problem with the car? Or was it a problem between the seat and the steering wheel? The world will never know.I am seeing a nice boost in mileage with the new car though, I do know that.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
1oldbanjo

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by 1oldbanjo »

I always get better mileage than my wife when we drive on trips. I keep a very steady speed, watch ahead so I can plan moves from the right and left lanes so I don't get stuck behind a slow truck or car, and set the cruise at 6 mph over the posted speed limits in an effort to get there as quickly as possible.....and yet not risk getting a ticket (I don't have a radar detector). My wife often drives faster than I do, but she stays in her lane without paying much attention to what is going on ahead or behind and often gets stuck behind something slow and then must accelerate back up to speed when she can change lanes. My steady speed works for better mileage than her varied speeds.This part may belong in the "humor" section. I have a friend that worked at a service garage where one fellow was always bragging about his great fuel mileage. The guys at the garage got together and started adding a gallon of gas to this guys car everyday and kept doing this for a month or two...the guys mileage was great and he was quick to brag about it. Then for a couple of weeks they stopped adding any gas. Then they started the reverse and were taking out a gallon of gas each day......and the guys mleage really went down like crazy. At first he didn't say anything to them and just stopped bragging about his mileage...but then after he started working on his car and replacing lots of parts to try and get the great mileage back they finally confessed to him what they had done. Pretty funny...as long as it wasn't you they did it to.I had a 1994 Chevy pickup and I would always get 400 miles to a tank. Suddenly my mileage went down to 360 miles on a tank and I could not get it back up. I tried replacing plugs, all the filters and was about to investigate the catalytic converter....when I just happened to buy gas in the next county and got 400 miles again. It turns out that the Cincinnati area had been required to use reformulated fuel by the EPA in an effort to cut pollution and the counties close to the downtown area were required to sell this fuel as it is less polluting. Clermont County where I bought the fuel was not required to sell the reformulated fuel - and once I found this out I begain buying fuel in Clermont County when possible. That was about 8 years ago and I have not noticed the difference anymore - so maybe everyone sells the same reformulated fuel now.Dave
binary

Post by binary »

reformulated fuel really kicks down your mpg. A more extreme example is the E85 engines that burn ethonol... they get a considerable amount of mpg less than if they burn e10 or e0.We have two gas stations that sell e0... they both happen to be Mobil and take speedpass!
03frostygt

Post by 03frostygt »

Thanks for the Techron tip. 28mpg this tank and saw the redline a couple of times.