Header install help.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
damronjr

Header install help.

Post by damronjr »

So, I was considering installing my JP header myself and was searching through the threads and found one by rcasciola where he said it was just 5 nuts and 2 bolts. I was wondering if you also have to get any other parts (i.e. gaskets)? How hard is it to pull the old one out and swap in the new one? Seems easy enough, just wondering if it really is. Any info would be appreciated.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
BlueCrush

Re: Header install help. (damronjr)

Post by BlueCrush »

I removed my AWD exhaust header to hollow out the pre cat. I had to remove the 5 nuts from above and the 2 bolts from below. The 5 nuts were easy enough but the 2 bolts connecting it to thet downpipe were a major pain. I had to get 3 ratchet extensions to reach the bolts from below and to get any kind of leverage. You will have to remove the passenger front tire and you may be able to have easier access if you can remove the wheel well. Also, there are a couple of hidden bolts on the heat shield. It is simple enough to do it just takes some time and patience. I think I spent a total of 4 hours doing it. I just re used the existing gaskets they worked just fine for me but I only had 6,000 miles on the car at the time. Good Luck!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
damronjr

Re: Header install help. (BlueCrush)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »It is simple enough to do it just takes some time and patience. I think I spent a total of 4 hours doing it. I just re used the existing gaskets they worked just fine for me but I only had 6,000 miles on the car at the time. Good Luck! Thanks, Brian! Do you think a gasket with 22k miles would be ok to reuse the gaskets? Did you notice any difference after the install, sound or performance-wise? Also, what did hollowing out the precat do and how did you do it?
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by damronjr »Thanks, Brian! Do you think a gasket with 22k miles would be ok to reuse the gaskets? Did you notice any difference after the install, sound or performance-wise? Also, what did hollowing out the precat do and how did you do it?The AWD is different from the Base or GT because the AWD precat is inside the header where as the Base and GT is an actual separate cat after the downpipe. Doing it did made the exhaust louder at the header and at the tailpipe. There was a little increase in performance at the higher rpm range. But the AWD headers are so crappy anyways that an after market header would show a lot more gains. The only way to get an aftermarket AWD header is to have one custom made. A 22K gasket might be OK, you won't know until you have it off. I would check with your local dealer to see if they have them in stock or if it has to be ordered just to cover your bases. You should only have to replace the gasket at the engine and not the downpipe if it needs it.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

You shouldn't need to remove the tire or wheel well. I had trouble with my DC sports header cause it was made for a celica. It had just a slight bend to the drivers side that caused the donut gasket to leak.I got REALLY good at swapping them back in forth that I could have one removed and the other installed in 5 minutes. First, work on a cool engine and put thick towels over the engine (remove your engine cover and your strut tower bar) cause you'll be spending some 'quality time' lying on it! Remove the o2 sensor from the manifold and/or unplug it so you can set it out of the way for later. Remove top heat shield so the rest will fit through the 'notched area of the top of the firewall near the drivers side above the engine. Then get under your car with a 15" extention and a ratchet, speed wrench,or air tool and remove the 2 spring bolts from the down pipe flange. Be careful of the donut gasket! It's actually pretty soft. Then remove the 2 bolts holding the support strut from the manifold to the engine. Next, remove the 5 nuts (5$ a nut!) holding the manifold onto the engine. Once it's unattached you'll have to pull it up and sorta roll it through the notched are I mention before. Look at it. Pathetic looking isn't it!The new header will slip into place easily. Then it's just a matter of installing the gasket over the studs and then the header. Tighten them down starting from the center and work your way out. I think it's 35ft/lbs. Finally you crawl underneath and install the donut gasket and connect the header flange with the down pipe flange and re-tighten (can't remember the torque setting, sorry).Let the car idle for a few (15)minutes, shut it down then take it for a spin. You'll at first feel the car be slugish. That will go away after a few days of learning for the ECU. Then you'll really notice a big difference in mid range power! Your engine will have more of a rushing wind sound (hard to explain) when you stomp on the gas. You'll like it! Have fun! Be safe! Eat rice!
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
Bobssbase04

Post by Bobssbase04 »

I had to replace my header gasket. The origina one was worn out. I just hopped in the engine bay, and took the exhuast manifold out to out header in. I disconnected the o2 sensor. But I also installed the JP high flo cat/ mid pipe combo. Now all that work was fun. Just the header was pretty easy
2004 Base Trix 5-speed Camcon with Boomslang harnessJP Performance header/high-flowcat/mid pipe comboMonkey Wrench flywheel ACT HD clutchMagnaFlow axle backAEM CAIEnergy Suspension motor bushings
tcam

Re: (Bobssbase04)

Post by tcam »

Other than not having an O2 sensor in the manifold, would this process be any different for a GT?
tcam

Re: (tcam)

Post by tcam »

? Anybody ?
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »? Anybody ?Bueller?!? Haha, hope somebody gets back to you, I have no clue, but assume it would be the same.
tcam

Re: (damronjr)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by damronjr »Bueller?!? Haha, hope somebody gets back to you, I have no clue, but assume it would be the same.lol, k, thnx
mathteacher'04vibe

Post by mathteacher'04vibe »

I have an '04 base and I was looking at the parts and pieces. The whole job doesn't look that bad. Also, is it possible to remove the spring bolts at the collector from inside the engine bay? To me it looks like there is plenty of room (using a wrench) rather than using a 15" extension from below...
'04 Vibe 1.8VVT-i, K&N Typhoon S/R, Fullboar muffler w/3.5" resonator tip. Sony CDX-GT500 h/u + Fosgate mono amp w/2 10" woofers & cap. Tinted side rear windows, SilverStar headlights and Cool Blue fogs. DC Sports Headers. 2.5" stainless pipe from stock resonator to muffler. Limited 903's (17x7.5) Gunmetal Gray with 225/45/R17 Strata tires. Link to my photobucket videos: http://s100.photobucket.com/al...ideos/
damronjr

Re: (mathteacher'04vibe)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by mathteacher’04vibe »I have an '04 base and I was looking at the parts and pieces. The whole job doesn't look that bad. Also, is it possible to remove the spring bolts at the collector from inside the engine bay? To me it looks like there is plenty of room (using a wrench) rather than using a 15" extension from below...Good luck, do it on a cold engine!
satur9

Re: (damronjr)

Post by satur9 »

gt should be the same as a base non awd vibe.some people reuse gaskets. but id reccomend new ones for a proper seal. manifold and doughnut gasket. an o2 sensor wrench can be rented from an auto parts store. the header is easy. the frickin heatshields suck.
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
tcam

Re: (satur9)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by satur9 »an o2 sensor wrench can be rented from an auto parts store.what? ahhh I'm confused. lol I didn't think the GT had an 02 sensor in the exhaust manifold.??
meistees

Post by meistees »

Quote, originally posted by satur9 »gt should be the same as a base non awd vibe.some people reuse gaskets. but id reccomend new ones for a proper seal. manifold and doughnut gasket. an o2 sensor wrench can be rented from an auto parts store. the header is easy. the frickin heatshields suck.definitely get new gaskets I tried to skip out on the donut gasket and man did the exhaust leaks sound like crap
Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
tcam

Re: (meistees)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by meistees »definitely get new gaskets I tried to skip out on the donut gasket and man did the exhaust leaks sound like crapwhat does the leak sound like? or is it too noticeable to miss? cuz I will definately be putting on new gaskets, but I wanna make sure there aren't any leaks or anything.
meistees

Post by meistees »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »what does the leak sound like? or is it too noticeable to miss? cuz I will definately be putting on new gaskets, but I wanna make sure there aren't any leaks or anything.it sounded like I had no exhaust at all ..like when you hear a rusted out hunk of garbage driving down the road so I'd say it'll be too noticable to miss.. good luck!
Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
satur9

Re: (meistees)

Post by satur9 »

i looked at a dc sports xrs header and no o2... my bad!!
look my sniggies, i had a strizz-oke in my brizz-ain okay,you know what im saying. so i cant move all good. but thanks for mentioning that .thank you very much.athf4evr. click here! you know you want to!!!
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by meistees »it sounded like I had no exhaust at all ..like when you hear a rusted out hunk of garbage driving down the road so I'd say it'll be too noticable to miss.. good luck! lol, alright thanks. Quote, originally posted by satur9 »i looked at a dc sports xrs header and no o2... my bad!!no worries. thanks for confirming that though. I was starting to get pretty confused. lol