Most miles on GT's stock clutch

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
JustinVGT

Most miles on GT's stock clutch

Post by JustinVGT »

We have the thread about current mileage of our Vibes and there are threads about the GT's clutch problems, but how about one on just the most miles out of your stock GT clutch.I have about 50,200 miles on my stock clutch and it is still going strong. It really is too bad that many clutches have gone out so early, but who else here is getting plenty of miles out of their GT clutches? I ordered my GT in February of 2002, so it's one of the first few thousand builit. My driving isn't even highway miles, it's a combination city/highway, where my 14 mile commute is ridden with stop lights pretty much every 1/4-1 mile.I'm sure I'm not alone, but we don't hear much about our clutches actually lasting a while. Who else is getting many miles out of their GT clutch?
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
DavidPIL

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch

Post by DavidPIL »

HiyaI'm nearing 62,000 and still on the stock clutch. (over 50% highway though) I've hated the clutch from the beginning though. It doesn't seem to have changed much in terms of it's grip since the beginning though. I do notice that sometimes it doesn't engage at the same place in the throw of the pedal. I would much rather replace it but my last estimate was $1052 !!! I know kits run around $175-$300 but I can't do something like that mysef. I'll probably keep it in till it truly goes out. Hopefully it'll last another year or 2BTW, mine was a late 2003 model.Dave
bh357

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (JustinVGT)

Post by bh357 »

Justin,I'm rapidly approaching 100k miles on my GT (2003), and the clutch is still going strong. My driving is a mix of city/highway. Like you, I have an early Vibe, ordering it in Feb '02, and taking delivery in April '02.
iinan

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (bh357)

Post by iinan »

only got around 25k on my stock clutch so far, no problems yet But the faint scent of burning clutch pretty much any time I start on an incline
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
myredrs

Post by myredrs »

I'm up to almost 70k. No problems yet.
2003 Abyss Two-Tone Vibe GT AEM CAIMagnaflow Cat-backProgress RSB17" Falken Torque5(Gunmetal) RimsHotchkis SpringsCross Drilled/ Slotted Brakeshttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/670160
george

Post by george »

75,000 plus still feels and pulls nice
frankenstein

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (iinan)

Post by frankenstein »

Good to hear that someone has 100K on the stock clutch. I am just over 50K and still on my stock clutch (03 Vibe GT, got it mid 2002).
2003 Satellite 2 Tone Vibe GTFactory Security SystemDVD Navigation System
sloth

Re: (silverawd26)

Post by sloth »

55k with not a whole lot of problems. Still burn it occasionally and occasionally more when my wife drives.
yooper_bob

Post by yooper_bob »

Up to 118,000 so far on my stock GT clutch (& brakes)... Getting ready pop for a 4th set of tires though....Bob03 Mono Shadow GT
trocar

Post by trocar »

just hit 75K on the clutch and we have noticed that it slips a little every now and again
matty77

Post by matty77 »

70,000km on my clutch, has had some good work as my wifr learned to drive stick on this car. So seeing the her handy work first hand i would say that the clutch has held up very well. I took my vibe off the lot in May 2003, and it was on the lot for atleast 3months minimum so I think that this is one of the first vibes off the line.
2003 Vibe GTShawdowFactory AlarmSunroof
johnsoax

Post by johnsoax »

I've got just over 50k miles on my stock GT clutch, took delivery on March 1st of 2003. The clutch is still going strong.
Stereo Mod - Cargo carpet - Phone on ash tray. - Hidden HitchProjects: Fix CELMileage - 50050 - 31.41 MPG Ave
MoonDogg

Post by MoonDogg »

I just hit 19K on mine and still going good.. I hope I have the same luck yall do....
2004 Vibe GT Fusion OrangeOptions: M&T, Monotone Paint, 35% TintMods: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X659 HU, Orion CS200.4 amp, Kicker Comp VR 10" sub, Megan Racing STB, Injen CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, brass shifter bushing, underbody orange neon's.
PhillyVibeGT

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (MoonDogg)

Post by PhillyVibeGT »

just about 31,000 here, knock on wood
04 GT Satellite Monotone17'' Fittipaldi Fins on Falkin Azenis ST115'sMoon and Tunes/Sirius Satallite RadioInjen CAI/Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust GM Top Spoiler/Debaged SilverStar Fogs "I wasn’t born rich, I’m good looking instead"
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

39,980 - clutch smoked.I've been feeling like its been slipping for a little while - but I launched off the line and got no "go". Now, I'm searching posts for someone with the answer on how to get it fixed for free.Extended powertrain warranty? Do I have one? Hell no, them's be a waste of money! I'll never need that! Plus, probably would never cover the clutch anyway.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
realred96

Post by realred96 »

61K. Clutch started getting bad at 40K but we milked it. I never liked the way the stock clutch felt. I have an RPS in it now and it is great
2003 GT Neptune Blue
Injen CAI
Tokico struts
EBC Brakes
Roadpig

Re: (realred96)

Post by Roadpig »

23K and going strong.
2004 Vibe GT, Neptune Two ToneGraphite Interior, Moon & TunesPower Package, 17" Rims, Exhaust Tip Mods Tinted (50% front window, 35% back & rear)Cosmo Alpha Omega 3 Child Seat & Booster SeatCustom Cargo Mat, DebadgedMagnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Injen CAI
Psychobroker

Re: (Roadpig)

Post by Psychobroker »

51k and still kickin'
theangrydwarf1

Post by theangrydwarf1 »

I've got 76k miles on my 03 that I bought in Feb or March of 03. I'm considering replacing it anyway just to prevent any problems. I drive mostly highway. Out here in West Texas you are about 30 miles from the next town on average.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." AE"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." AE"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
2001FZ1

Post by 2001FZ1 »

My wife has put just 13,000 on the GT so far. I will be pissed if we don't at least 100k out of the stock clutch. When we sold her Honda Civic it had 210,500 miles on the STOCK clutch.
Joe2005 Vibe GT2000 Silverado 4x41993 Camaro Z/28Riding a '05 GSXR-1000. ~ Full (removed). Akropovic exhaust, power commander, custom map = 166 horse My wife rides a crazy fast Ninja 250
viberationz

Re: (2001FZ1)

Post by viberationz »

I'm going to sound like a real idiot here - but I don't know much about cars - I have 50,000KM on my Vibe. The clutch has - like many others - had a couple burns on inclines - there are certain areas in town I just try to avoid. How do I know when my clutch needs replacing, I've never experienced a burnt out clutch and I would just like a bit of a heads up - of what problems I will notice. People have talked about their clutch 'slipping' - can someone explain that to me? (See told you I know nothing about cars, don't worry I still get it maintained at the shops all the time!)
'03 Monotone Black Vibe GT5% Tint, 147.7DB System, Pioneer AVIC-N1, 2G Wiring, Red Calipers, APC Race Seats, Red Interior Accents, 'Big' Breaks, 1 Big fart can out back, 18" Platinum XCess Wheels, Federal SS595 Tires
nitrovibegt

Post by nitrovibegt »

I got 35k miles on mine before it blew....kind of funny cause I had just added the nitrous about a month before...the best part though...is I had it all covered under the factory warrenty...and gm paid for a rental too...it good to work for the dealer sometimes...
2004 Vibe GT ,Shadow/Black has 64k now.Upgrades,Eibach springs,Injen CAI,Zex Wet Nitrous System 10lb bottle,Haas intercooled turbo, 100+ HP. Dyno w/ Nitrous at 296 to the wheel...stupid fast...it will beat any ones vibe on this website handsdown.7000 dollar investment.worth every penny.Progress Sway Bars,laser defuser,dual exhuast, brembo drilled rotors.New audio pics on cardomain...800 watt amp, 2 x 10" kickers, 4 mid, 4 tweeter mb quart premium...Eclipse Nav.Awesome..New 18" Montegi Jason
Psychobroker

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (nitrovibegt)

Post by Psychobroker »

Quote, originally posted by nitrovibegt »I got 35k miles on mine before it blew....kind of funny cause I had just added the nitrous about a month before...the best part though...is I had it all covered under the factory warrenty...and gm paid for a rental too...it good to work for the dealer sometimes...How'd you pull that one off?
nitrovibegt

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (Psychobroker)

Post by nitrovibegt »

We have a very creative Service Manager at my store...I dont know how he did,,,dont really care...I do know that there wasnt a clutch plate anywhere in the US on the parts locator...they had to ship one in from the final assembly facility in California..the car was apart for two weeks before they got all the parts and put it back together...Enterprise RAC gave me a Caddy CTS to tool around in for a few weeks on GM's buck....The store I work for really goes out of there way to help there clients in service...and the regional service rep for gm owes me a few favors as Ive bailed him out on more than one occasion with some customers from other stores in the area that dont do a very good job in there service departments...
2004 Vibe GT ,Shadow/Black has 64k now.Upgrades,Eibach springs,Injen CAI,Zex Wet Nitrous System 10lb bottle,Haas intercooled turbo, 100+ HP. Dyno w/ Nitrous at 296 to the wheel...stupid fast...it will beat any ones vibe on this website handsdown.7000 dollar investment.worth every penny.Progress Sway Bars,laser defuser,dual exhuast, brembo drilled rotors.New audio pics on cardomain...800 watt amp, 2 x 10" kickers, 4 mid, 4 tweeter mb quart premium...Eclipse Nav.Awesome..New 18" Montegi Jason
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

Is it possible to UN-Blow a clutch?Since the day I thought my clutch was headed for the great automotive graveyard, I have been driving it and have noticed from very little to no slippage - even hitting the lift (accidentally, I swear!).If I put it in 6th at 40mph and punch the gas it slips - but other than that, pfft! It feels like it always has.Does the hydraulics adjust for wear or something? Or are parallel universes colliding upon my drivetrain?
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
2001FZ1

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (cieglo)

Post by 2001FZ1 »

Now we have just over 30,000 and its still there but.........
Joe2005 Vibe GT2000 Silverado 4x41993 Camaro Z/28Riding a '05 GSXR-1000. ~ Full (removed). Akropovic exhaust, power commander, custom map = 166 horse My wife rides a crazy fast Ninja 250
Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

27k on the first one, another 4k on the second (off brand stock replacement), and now up at 45k on the replacement for that. No slippage but get occaisional chatter.I'm currently running a no-name 6puck ceramic from a local shop. NEVER slipped.I did notice on the original stock clutch that the slipping became LESS when I had a UHaul trailer going from NJ to GA, then it just gave out a couple months later.
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
DavidPIL

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch

Post by DavidPIL »

It's been a year since I replied to this... Now have around 84,000 miles on the OEM clutch. Really seems to be holding up better than I thought and and to cieglo's comments, does seem to be better now that at 62,000 miles. It's odd because now I'm not babying it as much. Over the past month I've had a new exhaust, lovin the sound at full-throttle. Tryin to see if I can squeal my Toyo Proxes4 (I can't, they grip to well). So, I'm not babying it at all and it seems to be ok. Still have it in my budget to replace but won't replace it till I need to.Dave
Mrizzle05

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (DavidPIL)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

33K on my stocker... but its slowly goin, so after xmas going for a gripforce stage 2 clutch, maybe fidanza flywheel too.
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
theangrydwarf1

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (Mrizzle05)

Post by theangrydwarf1 »

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm at 95,000 miles on the stock clutch and I'm hoping it will last a good bit longer. My driving is mostly highway, with some intown driving.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." AE"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." AE"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." AE
jlynam

Post by jlynam »

My clutch started slipping at just under 40K. I have been limping it along and now at 48K it is bad enough to replace. From what I have read here, most GT clutches seem to fail around there. Why they don't recall them, I will never know. This is the ONLY bad thing I can say about my Vibe, otherwise it has been great. Just wish Pontiac would step up to the plate and replace it.
Lava 03 VibeGT two tone17" aluminum wheelspower, security6disc changertint 35/30in need of a moonroof!
JoeKat

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (DavidPIL)

Post by JoeKat »

2003 GT: 50,000 on clutch and brakes! I hope it holds up a lot longer, if not I'll upgrade.
robdog

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (JoeKat)

Post by robdog »

78K, still kickin.
03, Abyss monotone GT, 6 disk changer, moon and tunes, Cargo mat/nets, power package, side airbags, AEM Short Ram Intake, Borla exhaust , 35% tint all around, F1 strut tower brace, debadged, 17" Excel rims w/ federal ss595 tires.
PhillyVibeGT

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (robdog)

Post by PhillyVibeGT »

45,000 on clutch and breaks here...(knock on wood)
04 GT Satellite Monotone17'' Fittipaldi Fins on Falkin Azenis ST115'sMoon and Tunes/Sirius Satallite RadioInjen CAI/Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust GM Top Spoiler/Debaged SilverStar Fogs "I wasn’t born rich, I’m good looking instead"
Dezz1

Post by Dezz1 »

75000 miles and still waiting. THere is slippage on hard takeoff inclines. I've already purchased an ACT clutch and pressure plate when the OE fails.
Even Free isn't Free, Someone has to pay for it. Check Out My Vibehttp://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/571609
savedbyzero

Post by savedbyzero »

I had 78k on mine when my motor went. I had them replace it while the car was in pieces. Clutch wasn't doing bad. Slipped once. But it couldn't hold a candle to the new Spec Stage 1 I have now!
THIS IS WHAT I DO...http://www.studiothisis.com
VGT

Post by VGT »

23k on my 05 GT and it's starting to slip. I don't even drive it that much and I've been referred to as grandma by certain passengers. I hope Pontiac will replace for free... cause there's no damn way I did it. I've been driving manuals since I was 16.
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

77K miles on my stock '03 clutch and still kicking. But soon will be replaced by an ACT clutch.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
JustinVGT

Post by JustinVGT »

I haven't been on here in a long time. I just saw that my old post is still active. A quick update, my GT original stock clutch is still going strong and I have around 72k miles now. Someone mentioned their brakes, my originals are also still strong. Hard to believe I ordered my GT from the factory over 5 years ago!
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
dbiehl1979

Re: (JustinVGT)

Post by dbiehl1979 »

took delivery of mine on May 13, 2003 and am still on the stock clutch with 104,000. Mix of city, highway, and driving like i stole it. No problems what so ever with the clutch slipping or burning. Come to think of it, the only problem that i have had with the car is the sunroof stuck open @ 2000 miles. been a good ride and i still love to drive it. p.s. i had to change the brakes at about 60000. like i said, i drive it like i stole it sometimes.
sillyvibegt

Post by sillyvibegt »

i only got 12000 out of stock clutch, now i have fidanza aluminum fly wheel and fidanza 4.3 clutch
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

OK. I'm at 55k miles now. Just got back from a Philly-Boston-Albany round trip through the Berkshires and Adirondaks. Clutch was OK - well, it was OK except when I tried to accelerate, pass, start, go up a hill....then...later it was fine. Very strange performance. But I'm worried enough now about getting stranded that it has got to go. I had visions of getting stranded in the hills in nowheresville and I didn't like that vision.Since my last post I've been babying the bejeezus out of it, but it's getting way too touchy. But it galls my because normally I'm just so dang cheap about things like this.
Dezz1

Post by Dezz1 »

Think of this: Its better to pay the grand now to have everything done. Or wait until the clutch go out in nowheresville, get a $1000 tow, and then pay another $1000 to get it fixed. Its about pay me now or pay me later. I am just looking out. Eons ago my tranny went out in nowhere land and it cost me a cool k to bring it home, and 2k to get it replaced.
Even Free isn't Free, Someone has to pay for it. Check Out My Vibehttp://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/571609
robdog

Post by robdog »

85k no problems
03, Abyss monotone GT, 6 disk changer, moon and tunes, Cargo mat/nets, power package, side airbags, AEM Short Ram Intake, Borla exhaust , 35% tint all around, F1 strut tower brace, debadged, 17" Excel rims w/ federal ss595 tires.
briantforce

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (nitrovibegt)

Post by briantforce »

I bought my used 03 gt one month ago 57000 miles on it yesterday i brought it to the shop with 59000 miles and a dead clutch.... not under warrenty. also a leakings dragging transmission that had almost no fluid ... thank god this is covered. ya not too happy but i love this car my parents bought a 05 auto in late 04 and it has been nothing but good hoping after this mine is just as lucky. based on advice i read i think when i find myself with some extra money i will buy a preformance clucth for when this time comes up around 120000
- Brian T Force2003 Vibe GTBlack with gray lower pannelling, 17" alloysPoineer DEH-P6900ub Head UnitSony Xplod 4way / Poineer ts-a1682r 4wayMTX Thunder 4500-4510-04Blaupunkt tha475always 93, always synthetic
Petrucci914

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (briantforce)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Not under warranty, but it's covered? huh? And if the transmission doesn't have enough fluid then you will obviously have problems.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
briantforce

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (Petrucci914)

Post by briantforce »

sorry its undeer warrenty but the clutch is not covered
- Brian T Force2003 Vibe GTBlack with gray lower pannelling, 17" alloysPoineer DEH-P6900ub Head UnitSony Xplod 4way / Poineer ts-a1682r 4wayMTX Thunder 4500-4510-04Blaupunkt tha475always 93, always synthetic
rhitme03

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (briantforce)

Post by rhitme03 »

I put 93,000 on mine in 39 months, and traded it in without problems. Never any slipping, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Vibe GT w/ 93,000 Trouble-Free Miles <SOLD> ($8500)FS: Set of Snows on Steel Wheels ($150) <SOLD>FS: Unichip for Vibe GT ($450 OBO) <SOLD>FS: Yakima Setup - 2 Bikes Upright ($350)dpgallagher@msn.com
Houdini1

Post by Houdini1 »

Just put the 2nd clutch in our '03 GT with 120K miles. Both stock units lasted ~60K miles under normal driving with a burnt clutch smell occurring at launch once every 3-6 months due to the tall 1st gear on a hill, etc. The removed clutch was ~1/8" thick & evenly worn on both sides indicating no riding the clutch; a new one is ~3/8"+. The stock clutch really started slipping when the pedal engagement was nearly 6" away from the floor. The new ACT TC2-HDSS clutch engages ~2" from the floor & needs to be broken in for 3-500 miles since it chatters at low RPM engagements (up or downshifting).
bassplayaz06

Re: Most miles on GT's stock clutch (2001FZ1)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

my 03 GT went 143,500 miles on the stock clutch. changed it out myself for an OEM replacement, resurfaced the flywheel, new pressure plate and throw-out bearing.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483