why aren't there any v8 experiments?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jeffgtx

why aren't there any v8 experiments?

Post by jeffgtx »

here is what i want to see at SEMA this year.a vibe with the LS4 in it.otherwise i am not coming yea, so i have some time to let me imagination wanderduring teh long drive on 101 from teh in laws, but thats what i want, with the displacement on demand active so i can still get 20mpg.at least gimme the s/c3800
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
Raven

Re: why aren't there any v8 experiments? (jeffgtx)

Post by Raven »

My brother stuffed a Buick V8 in the back of a an old style VW Bug, so anything is possible with a bit of "engineuity".
tangerine

Post by tangerine »

I was thinking about experimenting and takingthe engine from my mk3 and putting it in my vibe but i don't think there is enough room. that would be a mean lil wagon.
04 Fusion Orange Base Vibe auto Now no longer with us thanks to ignorant drivers...
syclnjr

Post by syclnjr »

Hoe about this. I have been thinking about this since I saw an Aztec with a similar setup.Get a wrecked Vibe or a good one doesn't matter and mate the body to a newer corvette chassis. Yes you would have to rebuild the frame but damn that would be one fast Vibe. Plue the wheel base is near perfect fit. May have to do some mods to the fenders but who carees about that.
Mike2004 Vibe GT Abyss two tone, M/T, power package and 17's.
Pablo1669

Post by Pablo1669 »

Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »a vibe with the LS4 in it. like the Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, and Impala will be sporting?
-Brian
Emerica13

Re: why aren't there any v8 experiments? (Pablo1669)

Post by Emerica13 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain the Prix GXP, Malibu SS and Impala SS are not using the LS4. Impala/Malibu SS get the supercharged 3800 from the prix gtp and the prix GXP gets a new 5.3L v8 with DOD.
2003 Shadow Vibe GT
jeffgtx

Re: why aren't there any v8 experiments? (Emerica13)

Post by jeffgtx »

i think your confused, not wrong. the ls4 is the 5.3L.check the pontiac site.
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
Pablo1669

Re: why aren't there any v8 experiments? (Emerica13)

Post by Pablo1669 »

jeff is right, the 5.3L DoD engine is the LS4, trust me man, I work with them every day. The current model has the supercharged 3800. But I believe I said that they WILL be sporting, as in the next model year, not the current.
-Brian
Emerica13

Post by Emerica13 »

Good call, I didnt see on the Pontiac site but I googled it and found what you guys said. my dad's because he bought an 04 GTP Comp G and now they came out with the v8 for almost the same price
2003 Shadow Vibe GT
jeffgtx

Post by jeffgtx »

Quote, originally posted by Pablo1669 »jeff is right, the 5.3L DoD engine is the LS4, trust me man, I work with them every day. I'll email you my address and you can send me one
ShadowRuleZ

Post by ShadowRuleZ »

Gah, I couldn't imagine the torque steer in something with a fwd v8. Convert it to RWD and put an LS2 in it and then we're talking.
MadBill

Re: (syclnjr)

Post by MadBill »

Quote, originally posted by syclnjr »Hoe about this. I have been thinking about this since I saw an Aztec with a similar setup.....You mean this one?

Attached files
silver_vibe

Re: (MadBill)

Post by silver_vibe »

Quote, originally posted by MadBill »You mean this one?more pics here: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5501
silver_vibe

Post by silver_vibe »

hhsgiant

Post by hhsgiant »

heh ive considered converting a wrecked vibe into a mid engine rear wheel drive putting a 390 v8 ford motor in the rear hatch area yes i know will be excesive moding but lol a 390 hp base motor in a vibe put a blower on the roof and firewall behind the front seats and you have a wheely monster at a strip
damronjr

Re: (hhsgiant)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by hhsgiant »heh ive considered converting a wrecked vibe into a mid engine rear wheel drive putting a 390 v8 ford motor in the rear hatch area yes i know will be excesive moding but lol a 390 hp base motor in a vibe put a blower on the roof and firewall behind the front seats and you have a wheely monster at a stripThat would be sweet!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
hhsgiant

Post by hhsgiant »

after i get outta my basic law enforcement class im gonna have to try it on a wrecked model i have the 390 already also in the 03 base vibe if you expand the front by about 4 inches or more then you can put the 390 in the front ive done the mesuring and you would have to put a hood slot in so the motor can sit there because of the height of the engine bay but (removed) that would scare the hell out of any one who challenged you on the road
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

if we're going to dream, why not dream big. how about a rearmounted V12? a 5.4L BMW V12. the 8 series engine. the intake can be placed on the roof. actually just like the Mclaren F1. same block, different valve head.
drunkenmaxx

Re: why aren't there any v8 experiments? (mcgusto82)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »if we're going to dream, why not dream big. how about a rearmounted V12? a 5.4L BMW V12. the 8 series engine. the intake can be placed on the roof. actually just like the Mclaren F1. same block, different valve head.would the casket be sold seperately?
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

doesnt caddy have a v16? the two northstar blocks welded together, theres a engine that might make th vibe take off if it had wings oh just get a heavily modd'd supra engine :D theres always rotory too, those engines are fairly small.
Toolman

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Toolman »

The vibe already comes in AWD, so just expand on the stock rear drive shaft and do a RWD conversion. Then stuff an LS1 in it. With a stock LS1 it would be in the 12's in the quarter, and with some basic upgrades you would easily break into the 11's.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
Toolman

Re: (Toolman)

Post by Toolman »

The old style RX7's and many other RWD imports are using the LS1 with much success over thier turbo 4cyl counterparts, I will try to find the link of the 2nd gen rx7 LS2 running 550 RWHP, the thing is insane.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
mcgusto82

Re: (mrpatrickg)

Post by mcgusto82 »

Quote, originally posted by mrpatrickg »nobody else has so ill say itthis car isnt made for a rear mounted transmission, youd have to tear into the interior and the dash as welli would do this on an awd vibe...or make it awd rather than just rwd...that much power in this light of a car youd want the extra tractionactually you want the light weight frame. inertia is the fighting force againts handling. weight is what keeps the car from moving as fast it can. weight is what makes the car want to go the same direction after you've input into the steering wheel.weight is bad.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

I put a small block chevy in a Vega station wagon. It didn't handle, couldn't stop and everytime I got on it hard a new part of the unibody would deform or out right tear apart. Both back windows broke and the top had huge waves in the sheet metal. Finally the rear leaf springs ripped out of the unibody. I pulled the motor/trans and stereo and junked the car. All in all...alot of fun!
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
Bobssbase04

Post by Bobssbase04 »

I seen this discussion before. About stuffing different drivetrian into the Matrix/vibe platform. With cash pretty much anything can be done. What about a Lexus SC430 v8/tranny? Cuase if a 302 will fit in a Focus. Something can be done with matrix/vibe.
2004 Base Trix 5-speed Camcon with Boomslang harnessJP Performance header/high-flowcat/mid pipe comboMonkey Wrench flywheel ACT HD clutchMagnaFlow axle backAEM CAIEnergy Suspension motor bushings
hhsgiant

Post by hhsgiant »

your right anything can be done its really simple to slap a v8 into vibe or matrix all you need is either money or time and skill like i mentioned i have a 390 sitting in a body right now and as soon as i find the correct axle i need its goin in a vibe as a rear wheelie beast and just for good mesure i also decided to leave the factory vvt-i in to freek people out cause if you pull up in a vibe and rev it up it will sound like a vibe but you turn off the 4c and crank the v8 and (removed) the looks on everyones faces so if anyone knows a rear wheel axle i could use post it