Oil Filter Screens

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
zionzr2

Oil Filter Screens

Post by zionzr2 »

Has anyone seen or used these things? they go over the top of the oil filter and trap small partilces to see if there is anything going wrong with your engine.
nismo

Re: Oil Filter Screens (zionzr2)

Post by nismo »

I've seen em, they go on the top of the filter and they jus fit right in with the filter. I dunno why someone would need an extra filter when you already have an oil filter.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
ebslopp

Re: Oil Filter Screens (TRD4reel)

Post by ebslopp »

doesn't the oil filter filter out the small particles? What's the point in having a filter for your filter? A little redundant if you ask me...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
ToolGuy

Re: Oil Filter Screens (zionzr2)

Post by ToolGuy »

I have heard of these things, never used them in any of my vehicles. After hundreds of miles on all my vehicles and no issues, I see no reason to use them. However it would not hurt if you did I suppose. I actully would get a magnetic drain plug and use that. AC makes a great filter and filters better then a lot of after-market filters. I use AC in all my GM vehicles.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

I saw these on Motorweek...The idea is you put this over the mouth of the oil filter, and any metal shavings or other debris get caught on it. When you unscrew the filter for a change, you'll be able to see if there is stuff there that shouldn't be. It's a way for you to see if there's a problem in the engine without having to cut open the filter.Personally, though, I think your best defense aganist engine breakdown is an oil analysis!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
JohnC

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by JohnC »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish » It's a way for you to see if there's a problem in the engine without having to cut open the filter.Personally, though, I think your best defense aganist engine breakdown is an oil analysis!I have cut open many filters just to see. I was never able to find anything (even ran a magnet thru it). I knew the engine was bad by the sound of the rods knocking, but never found anything in the filter. On the other hand I have found the filter bypass rupture disc on several Fram filters open. This occured on a small block chevy motor. I no longer use any Fram products. On new/rebuilt motors i get the oil analysed after 1500 miles, so far they have all come back "minimal" wear products found.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.