Actual gas mileage

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
billy

Actual gas mileage

Post by billy »

We own a fully loaded 2004 Vibe with an automatic. I'm getting between 500 - 540km's per tank which equals about 25mpg which is absolutely crap. I'm curious what every one else is getting as average mileage on a full tank. Please and thanks.....I'm building a case against GM.
ToolGuy

Re: Actual gas mileage (billy)

Post by ToolGuy »

Just out of curiosity... How many miles are on the car? How often do you change the oil? 25 city or HWY?What case against GM, low fuel mileage?
billy

Post by billy »

Car has 6100 miles on it, I change the oil every 3000 miles, and 85% of that mileage is highway.And yes you can post a case against a car manufacturer for misrepresentation. They claim 44 hwy and 34 city although it is more like 33 combined which I could live with. I've been in the automotive industry for over 8 years as an Engineer and you wouldn't believe all the closed door deals going on. Apparently you haven't dealt with GM as a customer - they do not forgive the slightest hiccup that they may get from a supplier and hit them hard with containment. Since they expect that from the supply base, I expect that the vehicle should be top notch and not misrepresented in any fashion. How do they repay a GM employee??? By ignoring their claims of poor gas mileage that even the dealership agrees with!!!! It's no wonder why they will no longer be on top of the Big 3 with an attitude like that.Also, for the record the car has been in to replace 2 O2 sensors within the first 3000 miles + some other miscellaneous things. Also, the car sat on their lot so long that a mouse decided to make a home out of the air box and filled it full of maple tree seedlings - no wonder the O2 sensor went in the first place!!!!!
ToolGuy

Re: (billy)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by billy »Car has 6100 miles on it, I change the oil every 3000 miles, and 85% of that mileage is highway.And yes you can post a case against a car manufacturer for misrepresentation. They claim 44 hwy and 34 city although it is more like 33 combined which I could live with. I've been in the automotive industry for over 8 years as an Engineer and you wouldn't believe all the closed door deals going on. Apparently you haven't dealt with GM as a customer - they do not forgive the slightest hiccup that they may get from a supplier and hit them hard with containment. Since they expect that from the supply base, I expect that the vehicle should be top notch and not misrepresented in any fashion. How do they repay a GM employee??? By ignoring their claims of poor gas mileage that even the dealership agrees with!!!! It's no wonder why they will no longer be on top of the Big 3 with an attitude like that.Also, for the record the car has been in to replace 2 O2 sensors within the first 3000 miles + some other miscellaneous things. Also, the car sat on their lot so long that a mouse decided to make a home out of the air box and filled it full of maple tree seedlings - no wonder the O2 sensor went in the first place!!!!!Woooh! Slow down turbo! I never said anything about not being able to post a case against GM. Just wondered what you are actually getting at!
drunkenmaxx

Re: (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

if you're getting bad mileage, it's your vibe. everyone here gets pretty good. i get better mileage than you are reporting w/my AWD and i get on it all the time to hear it growl!!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
hjwii

Re: (drunkenvibe)

Post by hjwii »

My two cents...I have a 2005 5 spd...2500+ miles...drive about 150 miles each day - 130 of that interstate....75 mph on the interstate; got the ol' cruise control set there...and I'm getting *drumroll* 33 MPGMy hopes is that I figure out how to better manipulate the stick (lots o' trouble in first and second - previous car was a diesel, so a different shift ratio there), and average 35. I think that's doable...hjwii
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I have 2003 figures - 1/27/03 (new) to 12-31-03; 7,438 miles on 268.22 gal = 27.73 mpg Estimate 60/40 city/highway. That's 5 mpg more than my PT Cruiser. Both A/T.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

I've been getting between 33-35 consistently. Seems to be creeping up as the car continutes to wear in. (~2200 miles now)PS - about 70/30 Hwy/Cty
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

here's a graph of my gas mileage over about 60,000 miles. The blue erratic line is the US miles per US gallons for each individual tank, the pink line is the average overall. My base 5 speed had an 36 mpg (us units) highway estimate, and my average to date is about 36.1 mpg, so I can't complain. In the US, the manufacturers are required to use the mileage estimates that result from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) actual testing of a vehicle, numbers that come out of the US Government, not from some marketing division of GM.a site that lists these numbers for all cars sold in the US is http://www.fueleconomy.gov in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6088&#p65128 I copied what the service manual said to check if gas mileage isn't what it should be, maybe one of those things is causing your poor efficiency.

Attached files
Last edited by joatmon on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToolGuy

Re: Actual gas mileage (joatmon)

Post by ToolGuy »

Right with the serv manual and some of those were what I was going to mention. Have to start with the basics and basic questions at first. The car is probably dumping too much fuel running rich and the O2 sensors crapped out. Or the mouse did more damage... He should also get the history on the car with its VIN, maybe that will tell more.
Mavrik

Re: Actual gas mileage (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by Mavrik »

with my CAI and slightly heavy foot on accelloration with my 04 Vibe with 11,000km on it I average 550km per tank approx but most of it is all in town with the occasional highway spin.As far as going after GM for false advertising, good luck. That chart is set up under perfect ideal conditions usually on a very smooth surface with the wind and temps at an ideal range for the car to operate perfectly. Those are NOT set in stone. Ministry of Transportation rates the Vibe at 37 city, 44 highway. Vibe GT at 30 city and 42 highway and the AWD Vibe at 31 city and 41 highway. Again under ideal conditions.Where do you buy your fuel? cheap gas stations? My suggestion if you want to build a case is to log from full to empty for 6 tanks, the amount of fuel to fill and the KM traveled. You can print off a consumption chart off the enerGuide website. Compare what you get with what they say you should get, also use fuel from the big corps out there for fuel like Esso or something. Good Luck
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
soldierguy

Re: Actual gas mileage (Mavrik)

Post by soldierguy »

I agree with Mavrik...the EPA (in the US) uses very tightly contorlled conditions to develop their mileage estimates.In the September 2004 issue of Car and Driver, they ran a test of 4 economy cars (article title is "The Frugalympics" that tested the Honda Civic Hybrid, Toyota Prius, Toyota Echo, and the VW Jetta TDI, all with automatic transmissions). Magazine editor and story writer Patrick Bedard hits the nail right on the head when in the story he said: "EPA city and highway numbers come from tests executed to perfection. If you drive the test conditions, you'll get the test mileage." The only problem with his statement is that it assumes that nothing is wrong with the car, although that thought is implied when he writes of "tests execute to perfection."Assuming nothing is wrong with your car, there are many basic things can affect mileage...tire pressure, gas formulation, and weather come immediately to mind. As the weather gets colder, your tire pressure drops (roughly 1 PSI for every 10 degrees farenheit), and that can affect it. Also, most gas companies reformulate gas depending on the time of the year...in CA at least, the oxygenated gas (so-called winter gas) tends to result in noticably less power and mileage. And with colder weather comes increased time spent in the "cold start" mode, which for most cars means more fuel being injected to help the catalytic converter reach operating temperature faster.By the way, I'm not saying that you shouldn't complain about your mileage...I'm just offering comment is all.
soldierguyCurrent Vehicles:2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, rear-seat DVD entertainment, 6-disc in-dash Boston Acoustics sound system...I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!!! But I also still like hanging here at GenVibe!2000 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Club Cab 4.7L V8 - SOLDhttp://www.cardomain.com/id/soldierguy
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »... my average to date is about 36.1 mpg, so I can't complain.36.1mpg?! That's awesome.joatmon, Master, allow me to be your humble pupil!!
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Frosty05Vibe

Post by Frosty05Vibe »

Our 05 automatic base Vibe has about 600 miles on it and we are getting 29 mpg in the city. We haven't really done any highway driving with it yet though.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Vibe! 2003 Vibe base, automatic, purchased 02/2004 at 22,xxx miles. Graph is gas mileage during my ownership, approximately 7,800 US miles since purchase, using US miles and US gallons.The darker red line is the running average mpg. The bluish line is the actual mpg per tankful. The bright red line is the lowest to date, and the bright green line is the highest to date. High MPG 37.64, 100% highway driving 65mph, cruise on, A/C off, 3 occupants and car loaded with luggage).Low is 19.50, during the winter with lots of 0 mpg idling to warm the car. Overall average is 27.5 mpg. 80% city driving, 20% highway driving.My average city-only (in a town of 15,000, with only about 10 stop lights in the whole town!) mpg is about 25. I can easily drop the mpg 3-5 miles per gallon if I stick my foot in the throttle at every stop sign and stoplight.Dumb question, but do you know if they reset the engine control electronics after replacing the sensor? I'd guess that they would, but you never know.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

2003 Vibe - automatic, 37000 mi. Max mileage of 36.45, min 19.98 for one tank last winter. Lifetime average economy is close to 30 MPG.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
bellwilliam

Post by bellwilliam »

don't feel bad about 25mpg !! do a search on this subject, you will see lots of people gets worse mileage. I was about 25mpg before supercharger, 21mpg after supercharger. before someone flames me. I always average around City EPA rating on all my other cars.
Bellwilliam2003 S/C VibeTrim : Base, Abyss , AutoOptions: Moon & Tunes, Power Upgrades: Supercharger, Split Second A/F controller, 225/45-17, My other cars are PTE Miata, 13 Tesla S, 13 Volt, 06 997
glassman

Re: Actual gas mileage (bellwilliam)

Post by glassman »

try disconecting the battery and stepping on the brake to reset the computer then and see what happens especially if you had problemsmy 03 auto goes 500-550 on a tank city and hwymixed wife with her foot into it all the time the tach seems to fly high ocasionally when i drive it 2
soldierguy

Re: Actual gas mileage (bellwilliam)

Post by soldierguy »

25 US mpg might not be bad, but doesn't Canada use British gallons? If so, then 25 British mpg equals 20.8 US mpg.1 British gallon = 1.2 US gallonsI'm guessing the original poster is talking about British gallons since his member info says he's from Canada.
soldierguyCurrent Vehicles:2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited: HEMI, Quadra-Drive II, rear-seat DVD entertainment, 6-disc in-dash Boston Acoustics sound system...I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!!! But I also still like hanging here at GenVibe!2000 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Club Cab 4.7L V8 - SOLDhttp://www.cardomain.com/id/soldierguy
joatmon

Re: Actual gas mileage (soldierguy)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »36.1mpg?! That's awesome.joatmon, Master, allow me to be your humble pupil!!lol - it's easy, all you have to do is drive a lot of highway miles through an agressive police presence. it compels you to just roll along at about 60 mph for long periods of time. I think I am also lucky that the things that can hurt gas mileage haven't come up in my car. I must have had a good alignment since my crappy Contis lasted over 40K miles Quote, originally posted by soldierguy »I'm guessing the original poster is talking about British gallons since his member info says he's from Canada.I agree, since he said the rating on the car was 44 mpg highway. However, 44 mpg hwy is about 36 miles per US gallon, so that would be the number for the 5 speed., but billy has an automatic, so the highway number would be a little less, maybe 40. Still, the numbers he's getting are lower than they should be, and if I was getting that low I'd be upset, since the mileage a a big factor in me buying the Vibe. There seem to be three groups of vibe owners, some get about the rated numbers, some get lower than the rated numbers, and some just want more power and don't care about the gas mileage numbers Since he's had to have 2 oxygen sensors replaced already, maybe there's something else going on in the car that is affecting both the O2 sensors and the mileage.billy - you've got an automatic transmission, do you have the base or the AWD model?
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

i have a 2003 auto vibe........had it for about 4 mths now..it was a used car.it had about 67,000kms on it when i got it.now has about 73,000....iam getting highway...32.25 mpg US highway.thats 454 kms and 33.3 liters to fill it back up.and city it is getting 22.87 mpg US.thats 332.9 kms and 34.441 liters to fill it back up.not to bad almost as good as my old saturn sl1 that was rated at 49 mpgUS.here is a good link to a fuel calculator i foundhttp://www.royalbank.com/cgi-bin/carloan/gas.pltry it and post ur numbers
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »lol - it's easy, all you have to do is drive a lot of highway miles through an agressive police presence. it compels you to just roll along at about 60 mph for long periods of time.It's amazing how much of a difference I see when driving at a steady 55-60 MPH versus frequent visits to the 70+MPH range. My car does pretty good if I just stay at a lower speed, use the cruise frequently, and take off sloooow... OTOH, when I get on the car, it starts sucking down fuel bad...If I'm easy on it, a tank during my normal drive (about 70% highway) will get me 30-31, but if I'm dogging the car, I'm lucky to see 26-27.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
billy

Post by billy »

We have an automatic base - and the mileage that I'm quoting has been converted to US gallons and not Imperial. Thanks for the input guys - it seems like most of you get better mileage so I'll have to keep tracking it. Funny thing is that my first tank had the best gas mileage (although we never took it past 60mph) during the break in period which got me over 700km's (about 430 miles). The dealership does agree with my claim though as V6 Malibu's get much better economy than the Toyota powered 4 banger.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Please keep us posted about what the dealership does to fix the problem, because there are others here who are getting mileage less than they should, and if the dealer can fix something in yours to get it back where it should be, then that's something for the others to look for.
AzFusionGT

Post by AzFusionGT »

I have a 6-speed GT, and have been keeping track of my mileage since I bought the car new. For the first two months it was all city driving, and it went from a low of 24.5 to a high of 30.3. In June, I drove cross-country, from Phoenix to Baltimore. I have a heavy foot, and it was in the low 30s. My Dad has a light foot and his average was around 35-40 mgp. My overall average mpg to date is 30.84.Do all Vibes require 91 octane, or just the GTs? Since gas has been going up-up-up, I thought about trying 87 in my car. My brother is a former mechanic and he says to keep with the 91. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
2006 Saturn Vue Red Line -A Moose is on the Loose-1990 Toyota Camry LE-V6 - Katy the Camry -
RoundUp

Post by RoundUp »

Quote, originally posted by billy » Funny thing is that my first tank had the best gas mileage (although we never took it past 60mph) during the break in period which got me over 700km's (about 430 miles).I remember hearing from somewhere that a car is actually most fuel efficient when it is going at 60 km/h. Maybe you were a lot more gentle on the accelerator pedal and brake pedals on that first tank. I drive an AWD and get approx 25 USmpg (90% highway), but I know it is because of my driving patterns. I often mash the gas pedal and the A/C compressor is almost always on (A/C in the summer and defrost in the winter/spring/fall).
debi5475

Re: Actual gas mileage (RoundUp)

Post by debi5475 »

I am getting 21mpg in my AWD, but I assumed it was because the car is still breaking in? I have 1300 miles on it.Any ideas?
Debi 2005 Moonstone AWD, Monotone, Leather, Moon and Tunes, Power Pkg, XM radio, side-curtain airbags, aftermarket starter and remote, two teenagers, window vent visors, 35% tint, 20% in back, Eclipse 2 SUV tent, Drawtite hitch, Bug shield, Honk If You Love Clay Aiken Decal.
Mavrik

Re: Actual gas mileage (AzFusionGT)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by AzFusionGT » Do all Vibes require 91 octane, or just the GTs? Since gas has been going up-up-up, I thought about trying 87 in my car. My brother is a former mechanic and he says to keep with the 91. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Best to stick with that fuel, anything less can actually harm the engine.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
debi5475

Post by debi5475 »

Even in non-GTs,No one said anything about that to me. Mine came with a tank of 87 in it. That is what I have been running. Up early Mavrik?
Debi 2005 Moonstone AWD, Monotone, Leather, Moon and Tunes, Power Pkg, XM radio, side-curtain airbags, aftermarket starter and remote, two teenagers, window vent visors, 35% tint, 20% in back, Eclipse 2 SUV tent, Drawtite hitch, Bug shield, Honk If You Love Clay Aiken Decal.
drunkenmaxx

Re: Actual gas mileage (debi5475)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

if it is not a gt, use 87, it is no help to run higher octane if your car was designed to use 87.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
futseal04

Re: Actual gas mileage (RoundUp)

Post by futseal04 »

Quote, originally posted by RoundUp »I remember hearing from somewhere that a car is actually most fuel efficient when it is going at 60 km/h. Maybe you were a lot more gentle on the accelerator pedal and brake pedals on that first tank. A lot of people get efficient and economical confused. Engines are actually more efficent when WOT due to less pumping losses, but are more economical during steady state low speed cruising.
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
debi5475

Re: Actual gas mileage (drunkenvibe)

Post by debi5475 »

Thanks drunken, I was wondering, since I am getting such bad mileage, if I am doing something wrong. Guess the gas isn't the problem.
kostby

Re: Actual gas mileage (debi5475)

Post by kostby »

It MUST be the extra weight of the Clay Aiken sticker!!! LOLDo the two teenagers bring their friends along? Make them buy gas when Mom plays 'Taxi'!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Mavrik

Re: Actual gas mileage (kostby)

Post by Mavrik »

well I decided to experiment a little with my Vibe, filled it up from about empty and drove high rpm shifts, fast take offs... that sort of thing. I did speeds from 140km to 40km and I got a very pitiful 460km out of the tank.Now I filled it up again and am driving like granny, 3000rpm shift, no heavy hammer on the pedel and going the speed limits... we'll see what I get this time.
thorntcl

Post by thorntcl »

I'm getting the same poor gas mileage as billy. About the same mileage per tank on my base automatic Vibe with 5500 km on the car...I am not getting over 30 CDN mpg, but I should be getting at least 36 as I do a mix of city and hwy driving and don't ever drive it that hard.I've had my posting on another thread so I'll put the info here for others to follow.The gas mileage seemed like a joke to the dealer when I explained it to him. If I drive more than 80 km/hr or 50 mph then my gas mileage goes down exponentially (~40% if I drive at 65 mph). Ok Sherlock then explain why a Kia Magentis rental I had for a week went farther with a larger engine (same size gas tank) while I was going ~65-70 mph....I changed the oil so maybe the gas mileage will improve. They said unless the engine light comes on they will not be able to check anything and all should be ok...I just want to know if I will ever see better gas mileage on a base Vibe as that is one of the main reasons for buying it. I got better gas mileage driving my '96 Pathfinder as well... I know I'm expecting a lot for a car that I only have 3000 miles on, but geesh I could have stuck with my Pathfinder as it was 4 wd..Gas mileage for the Vibe is where you convert 30.5 to 39 US mpg from 36 city to 47 Imperial (CDN) mpg.To convert x L/100 km to y MPG, perform:* 235.2146 ÷ x L/100km = y MPG (US liquid gallon), or* 282.481 ÷ x L/100km = y MPG (Imperial gallon)The epa ratings though are determined through some unrealistic testing though. Avg speed of 50 mph on the hwy and never over 60 mph. (get real)http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/vehicles/guide/guide.cfm SIMULATED CITY COURSECity fuel consumption ratings are based on a 22-minute drive of 12 km, with 16 complete stops. The average speed of the test is 32 km/h. SIMULATED HIGHWAY COURSEHighway fuel consumption ratings are based on a 12-minute simulated highway course of 16 km with no stops. The top speed during the test is 96.5 km/h, and the average speed of the test is 77 km/h. VIBE W 1.8 4 X M5+ 7.7 6.0 37 47 VIBE W 1.8 4 X E4E 8.3 6.4 34 44 VIBE AWD W 1.8 4 X E4E 9.1 6.9 31 41 VIBE GT W 1.8 4 Z M6+ 9.4 6.8 30 42 Good luck billy and Mavrik let us know how the princess treatment goes after you go through your tank of gas...
Cheersthor...2004 Base VibeAutomatic, black abyssTint 35 front and 20 backWish list:auto start/remote entry/lock for all doors. (no factory pwr doors or windows)
Mavrik

Re: Actual gas mileage (thorntcl)

Post by Mavrik »

well for an update after filling my tank the other day, I have gone 150km since then and I have used 1/4 tank of fuel so far. Thats a mix of country/highway and city driving.
futseal04

Post by futseal04 »

Just filled up and went 315 miles on 10.1 gallons of gas, so that equals 31.2MPG in mixed driving. I only run the car up to about 3000 and drive on the interstate 65-75MPH. My overall mileage has been about 30MPG.
'04 Vibe Base'97 Buick Riviera S/C'01 Suzuki SV650S
StampedeVibe

Re: Actual gas mileage (AzFusionGT)

Post by StampedeVibe »

Consider what you're saving by putting in 87 octane instead of 91 octane. In Canada, you save ~10-12 cents/L, so over 30L, you save $3-4 Canadian dollars. Given the miniscule savings, and the potential for engine damage, which is very expensive, stick with the 91 octane.Anyways, here's my mileage chart (it's updated to the beginning of August). You'll notice the horrendous mileage at the beginning when I got the car, the rise as the car breaks in, and the huge fall when it gets cold in Calgary. And the rise in mileage as the weather warms up. The yellow lines are the test mileage published by the Canadian Government (obviously 40 mpg is the highway, and 30 mpg is the city).

Attached files
sylvainber

Re: Actual gas mileage (StampedeVibe)

Post by sylvainber »

I get about 30 mpg (US) with 'suburban' driving, which is around 45-50 mph with frequent stop lights. If i step on the gas a little too hard, my gas mileage drops to about 26-28 mpg.i have read in several places that using higher octane (91+) in a engine rated for 87 is just giving the oil company more $$. There is no benefit to wasting higher octane fuel on a base vibe.
Salsa 2-tone Basecargo nets, liner and seatback storageThe best thing about having my previous car totaled in an accident is that i got a Vibe to replace it
Roadpig

Re: Actual gas mileage (sylvainber)

Post by Roadpig »

I get about a 29-31mpg average in my GT. This is about 75% highway driving, hitting lift less than once per day.
2004 Vibe GT, Neptune Two ToneGraphite Interior, Moon & TunesPower Package, 17" Rims, Exhaust Tip Mods Tinted (50% front window, 35% back & rear)Cosmo Alpha Omega 3 Child Seat & Booster SeatCustom Cargo Mat, DebadgedMagnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Injen CAI
NJVibe04Salsa

Post by NJVibe04Salsa »

My 2004 AWD is has been averaging 25.85MPG over the past 8000 miles. 75% highway driving at 60-75mph. The car has never achieved 30MPG. This is pretty far off from the EPA estimate of 26 City 31 Hwy. I brought the car to the dealer after 5000mi complaining about the mileage. The person at the desk said they did a full inspection and found nothing wrong with the car. Then I asked to speak with the mechanic who told me that all they can do is plug the computer into the engine and check to see if the electronics report PASS or FAIL. I asked if he was able to check the brakes for dragging of if there was any way to check if the transmission or any other mechanical part of the car was not operating to specs. He replied that the engine computer is so advanced that it would report if there were any problems. How would it be possible for the engine computer to determine if the brakes were dragging or if the problem was mechanical in nature?? Other people owning AWD's seem to get 30MPG without problems. What recourse do I have to bring my Vibe up to the standard? I'm afraid the dealer is going to wait until my warrantee expires before reporting that I have a major engine or transmission problem or possibly something worse.~Rolan
thorntcl

Re: Actual gas mileage (NJVibe04Salsa)

Post by thorntcl »

Hi Rolan,I haven't tried this yet, but was thinking about bringing my car back in and ask for an emissions test. In Ontario (Canada) they have a programme called the Drive Clean programme. (look here for further info http://www.driveclean.com/help/faq_main.html)It costs $35 and it would give me peace of mind on what is happening so will look into that soon... I have been doing as one of the posts suggested and that is collecting all of my gas receipts and for me I'm getting 30 imperial mpg (or 25 us MPG) with my FWD Vibe... Far below the 34-44 cdn MPG that I'm supposed to...Another article to check out... http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/ma...leage/ ... ..htmlEven with all that, I never go over 3000 rpm, never drive faster than 65 mph on the hwy. Most trips are between 30 and 45 mph... All that I do and still no improvement...and I have 7000 km...So good luck...CheersCliff
Cheersthor...2004 Base VibeAutomatic, black abyssTint 35 front and 20 backWish list:auto start/remote entry/lock for all doors. (no factory pwr doors or windows)
bud_one

Post by bud_one »

Check this out - apperently GM has had this issue come up more than oncefrom way back when. Document is dated 1-27-93.Info. on Factors that Affect Fuel Economy By the way in mixed driving - 50/50 split I average anywhere from 26-32 mpg.

Attached files GMBulletin03-65-02-Factorsofgasmileage.doc (22 KB) 
flying

Post by flying »

I now have 1100 miles on my 05 Base Vibe w/ auto. Most of my driving has been suburban and a little highway driving. My first tank was all highway and it was 36 mpg w/ 70-75 ave. speed. my last two tanks were mostly suburban and ave. 32mpg. I am very pleased so far. I traded in a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid for my Vibe. The best mpg I got w/ the hybrid was 40 mpg.
dante

Re: (billy)

Post by dante »

if you bought the car on the GM discount plan (if you work for GM) then you can forget about sueing gm for anything.When you get the discount one of the things that you sign away is your right to take them to court read your fine print. Your claim must be in canada because my sticker in the states claims 25 city and 35 highway and I am getting around 35-37 on the highway all the time.I now have 37000 miles on mine.A little mad at the General don't be it is a Toyota.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

My overall average is currently: 26.174 MPGBest so far: 35.32 MPGWORST so far : 20.50 MPGMost has been short city driving with only a couple of long trips.My mileage should improve a bit now that i live more than half a mile from work. now live around 10 miles away and mostly hwy.
vibe-for-cy

Cold weather mileage

Post by vibe-for-cy »

There has been alot of discussion about gas mileage, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much the mileage drops off in cold weather. I just bought an '03 with 5-speed (30k mi) for my wife to drive and she got 28-29 mpg on the first tank which was all highway driving. However, it is about -10 F here in the heartland right now. My wife wants to get the 36 mpg that it is rated at. I figured the cold weather would drop it some, but 25%? (This is using the 90 oct 10% ethanol blend) Dealer says to wait for warmer weather and see what happens.My question is, is it the car, the weather, the fuel, my wife...?
thorntcl

Re: Cold weather mileage (vibe-for-cy)

Post by thorntcl »

Well I now have 11, 000 km on my automatic Base Vibe and I still get the same gas mileage that I did when it was new (in Sept 04) so to me the car must be getting better gas mileage than when it started since it is cold weather driving here (Ottawa Can).That being said I am getting between 25 - 32 mpg (cdn) where my driving is a mix of hwy and city driving. I no longer drive over 65 and don't have the car revving higher than 3000 rpm.I am collecting all of my gas bills for proof of lousy gas mileage and likely trading the car in or demanding they stop advertising that this car gets the best gas mileage in its class. I am supposed to be getting between 39 and 44 mpg (cdn), but those numbers are for the govt run tests under ideal conditions. My neighbour bought a Corolla (same engine or very close to it - ok the Matrix is the real sister car, but all have a 1.8L engine) in Sept 04 and she gets 750 km on a tank. I can barely get 500 km on the tank (yes they are both the same size tank)As per an earlier post I drove a Kia Magentis rental car 75-80 mph in October and got 38 mpg (cdn) (17,000 km) so I don't buy that it should be my or anyone's driving habits.You just need to find a site that advertises real driving condition gas consumption.I am also thinking that I should get an emissions test as a post elsewhere suggested the gas used is clogging the catalytic and doesn't show up on the computers. You running a 90 octane gas with ethanol shouldn't be seeing that though...Ok done my rant for now...It's not your wife, it's the car... You can always expect an increase in gas consumption in the winter. 25% sounds about right. If that's true then I can expect 37 mpg (cdn) from my current 30 mpg winter driving. Let's hope so...
fjf511

Post by fjf511 »

My AWD averages 22MPG in normal city driving less if I'M doing 80MPH a lot. On the highway it gets 33MPG. In the very cold or snow it can drop into the teens
04 ABYSS AWDM & TPOWER PACKAGEWINDOW TINT
Altus

Re: Actual gas mileage (fjf511)

Post by Altus »

I've kept track of every fillup on our 2003 Base Vibe w/Auto since we got it in May '03 with 18k kms on the clock.It's now got just short of 62k kms on the odo and I'm averaging 23mpg in the winter with about 80% being city driving. Summer we average around 30/31mpg with the same percentage driving. My last major use on the highway was back in the summer, and that trip averaged ~35mpg.I'm also surprised by the significant drop in mileage in the winter - don't quite get why it's so noticable. Oh - and for the record, I've got stock air intake, stock exhaust, etc.... basically a bone stock car.
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan