ECU Tune...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
arrowracer76

ECU Tune...

Post by arrowracer76 »

I've got a $4,500 NA build coming up but there is one thing I need to check off my list before I start buying the parts for my 2ZZ.

I need a way to tune my OEM ECU. I've done some searching and nothing has really been coming up the way I like. I've been searching for a system similar to that of the Hondata system for the Honda K series of engines; a reflashing and tuning tool. Does something like that exist for the 2ZZ ECU?

I don't want to program an entirely new ECU and I'd like to have a system that allows me to mess with a few paramaters other than just the fuel trim and ignition timing. I'm aiming for 9500rpm redline in this build :twisted:

Does anyone know of a reflashing system for the 2ZZ ECU?
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
- Greddy E-Manage Piggyback
- Custom Axle-back Exhaust
- KW Suspensions Lowering Springs
- FUCKING STICKERS EVERYWHERE
Salsa Guy

Re: ECU Tune...

Post by Salsa Guy »

There are a few places that have done some ROM "piggybacking" of the computer but not much luck "cracking" the ROM. There are some guys in Puerto Rico that have changed "clocking" and raised the REV limiter. There are piggybacks out there that you can change the Lift point, fuel trims and timing.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
triz

Post by triz »

Only way I know to get that to work on a 2zz is with a PFC. I have a 9k RPM redline with a 4k RPM lift engagement but I'm using it on a MR2 Spyder.

I recall vaguely a harness being made for a Matrix. Given the similarities I don't see why it wouldn't work on Vibe.

I paid a few hundred for my harness for my MR2 so I wouldn't have to hack my factory harness. I would call Jason at DDPerformance Research (979) 627-7545. If he cant help then he will most likely point you to Matt at Monkeywrench. I would try DDPerformance first. They are tuning monsters and offer great customer service.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

triz wrote:Only way I know to get that to work on a 2zz is with a PFC. I have a 9k RPM redline with a 4k RPM lift engagement but I'm using it on a MR2 Spyder.

I recall vaguely a harness being made for a Matrix. Given the similarities I don't see why it wouldn't work on Vibe.

I paid a few hundred for my harness for my MR2 so I wouldn't have to hack my factory harness. I would call Jason at DDPerformance Research (979) 627-7545. If he cant help then he will most likely point you to Matt at Monkeywrench. I would try DDPerformance first. They are tuning monsters and offer great customer service.
^X2 both those companies are great to work with and know a lot about these engines. The engine wiring and ECUs are identical between the same year Vibe/Matrix/Corolla
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
YotaGT

Post by YotaGT »

triz wrote:Only way I know to get that to work on a 2zz is with a PFC. I have a 9k RPM redline with a 4k RPM lift engagement but I'm using it on a MR2 Spyder.

Lift engagement at 4k? Are there any videos online of this sort of 2zz build? That sounds awesome, and even better in the MxRs2!
triz

Post by triz »

I have one on there. But it's mostly audio. But I think you can hear and see the tach when it hits lift.

Any who the motor is stroked now to 2.0L. Check out the post and video. 206whip and 156lbs of tq.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only