Replacing Valve Cover gasket..cure time?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Lambo50

Replacing Valve Cover gasket..cure time?

Post by Lambo50 »

I plan on replacing my valve cover gasket tomorrow after I get off work early. I already have the gasket an such but curious how long should I wait before driving due to the Super Black gasket sealer? I know I will only be using the sealer in two small spots so does it really take 24hrs before I can drive again?
lannvouivre

Re: Replacing Valve Cover gasket..cure time?

Post by lannvouivre »

You need to leave it alone the full recommended time or you might wash the silicone gasket off with oil splash and have it relocate into a critical area and plug an oil gallery. It probably doesn't take that long, but they give you that long period so you will not have problems, or worse, a catastrophic error like what I described.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Lambo50

Post by Lambo50 »

lannvouivre wrote:You need to leave it alone the full recommended time or you might wash the silicone gasket off with oil splash and have it relocate into a critical area and plug an oil gallery. It probably doesn't take that long, but they give you that long period so you will not have problems, or worse, a catastrophic error like what I described.
Yeah the Ultra Black sealant states allow 24hrs for cure time. Just seemed a bit much. Plus with my busy schedule its hard to not have to go anywhere within 24hrs. I guess I will have to wait until I have some consecutive days off.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Have you tried tightening down on the valve cover bolts ? I had a leak and re-touqueing the bolts stopped the leak. I have no new oil stains in my driverway for over a week :D
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on