high idle speed after car is at operating temperature

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
12knight

high idle speed after car is at operating temperature

Post by 12knight »

I hope someone can help or has solved this problem before.

I am a new member. I have owned my 2003 Vibe GT since i bought it new in March 2003. It is the 1.8 l vvlt-i, 6 speed manual. I dont have to tell you how good of a car it is...you know. I have over 400,000 k on this car and I love it but, I have a problem.

The car started to go into high revs at lights about two years ago(usually in cold weather) sometimes rev up to 3500 rpm. a tap down on the gas would resolve it but it sounded and seemed dangerous. After many visits to the mechanic i still have a problem albeit much improved. It runs mostly good in the summer, but when it starts to cool off it still revs up to 2200 or 2500 rpm at lights (in neutral or with clutch in). It is definitely worse in cold weather. A tap down on the gas resolves it everytime and then settles down to 1000...perfect. Until i stop at the next light.
some of the work performed

The throttle body has been cleaned twice
fuel injection has been checked
I have replaced the idle speed module
upstream oxygen sensor
checked for vacuum hose leaks
lubricated all linkages
i have been to a gm mechanic and my normal mechanic and dont want to spend a lot more money.
it is a nuisance to tap down the rev at every stop but i am used to it.
error code was P0505 that was resolved with the repairs (almost) trouble light pops up about once a month but disappears before i can get it scanned.

does anyone have any ideas to resolve this problem?

Paul
circuitsmith

Re: high idle speed after car is at operating temperature

Post by circuitsmith »

I think the throttle valve is sticky. I've seen this happen due to warpage making the shaft hang up.
Replace the throttle body.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
SirLinux

Post by SirLinux »

12knight wrote:I hope someone can help or has solved this problem before.

I am a new member. I have owned my 2003 Vibe GT since i bought it new in March 2003. It is the 1.8 l vvlt-i, 6 speed manual. I dont have to tell you how good of a car it is...you know. I have over 400,000 k on this car and I love it but, I have a problem.

The car started to go into high revs at lights about two years ago(usually in cold weather) sometimes rev up to 3500 rpm. a tap down on the gas would resolve it but it sounded and seemed dangerous. After many visits to the mechanic i still have a problem albeit much improved. It runs mostly good in the summer, but when it starts to cool off it still revs up to 2200 or 2500 rpm at lights (in neutral or with clutch in). It is definitely worse in cold weather. A tap down on the gas resolves it everytime and then settles down to 1000...perfect. Until i stop at the next light.
some of the work performed

The throttle body has been cleaned twice
fuel injection has been checked
I have replaced the idle speed module
upstream oxygen sensor
checked for vacuum hose leaks
lubricated all linkages
i have been to a gm mechanic and my normal mechanic and dont want to spend a lot more money.
it is a nuisance to tap down the rev at every stop but i am used to it.
error code was P0505 that was resolved with the repairs (almost) trouble light pops up about once a month but disappears before i can get it scanned.

does anyone have any ideas to resolve this problem?

Paul
Paul, I have had my 2003 GT for over a year and mine does the same. I am now accustomed to tapping the gas pedal to get the idle down. I do have a problem with the idle now stuck at about 3.5K rpm though. Wondering if this is an escalation of that. Curious that you mentioned you replaced the idle speed module. Not familiar with that. Are you perhaps referring to the IACV? I have taken mine off and cleaned it but there is no change in my idle issue. Desperate to try anything to avoid the dealership. I am thinking to do the manifold gasket next.
12knight

Post by 12knight »

I will definitely let you know if i find "the cure". I dont want to spend much more money on it either. Changing throttle body was recommended on this page. i will find out how much that costs. I am taking it to a toyota dealer for the next oil chage and see what they have to say... Yes i meant the IACV...it was expensive. The mechanic followed the troubleshoot guide. Basically solved the problem it doesnt rev right up to 3500 rpm any more but during cold weather it does go up to 2500...kinda messin with my gas mileage too. I will pick away until i find a solution and will be sure
to let you know

PaulS
12knight

Post by 12knight »

I haave done evertyhing i can find info on

check for vacuum leaks
changed oxygen sensor
changed gasoline
cleaned throttle body several times
lubricated cable

changing throttle body next if its no too much money

Paul
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Have you cleaned your MAF sensor? I believe it's held onto the air tube with 2 tiny screws along with a wire plugged into it.
Release the wire, take it out and hold it so you can see a thin wire with a sensor at the end of it....it can get dirty and throw off your ratio. Clean it by hosing it down with an electronics safe spray (there is even a spray just for maf sensors) until the dirt is gone.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
12knight

Post by 12knight »

Thanks...I will try that for sure, and I will let you know if it worked. There is another 2003 Vibe Gt on here with the same problem. It would be great if i could solve that problem!!
Ponvibe

Post by Ponvibe »

If you have yet to fix your problem, a good place to go is the IACV or idle air control valve. It's located on the bottom of the throttle body with the two small coolant hoses, and wiring plug going into it. Take it off then remove the switch and check for free movement of the valve, good chance it's stuck. If it's stuck and wont free up, about $240 at NAPA.
2003 FWD Silver 112,000 2nd Motor, 6 Speed, Loaded

2004 AWD Red 212,00 Auto, No options
M1MECHANIC

Post by M1MECHANIC »

i have 03 vibe GT 6-speed silver and have the same problem. I have about 260k on it and have tried all of the cleaning ideas and still the same. The only other prob i have is the gas pedal gets stuck. Need new pedal but only Toyota sales it now. most parts are cheaper at Toyota for parts anyway.
12knight

Post by 12knight »

Thanks for all the info. I believe i have it resolved. On the last visit to GM mechanic. I asked him to clean the MAF sensor (even though that is supposed to happen when you change air filters it doesnt get done). I put injector cleaner through as well. It still stays slightly high rev when warming up from cold, and wont automatically kick down when warmed up but not nearly as obnoxious as before.

So, if you have this problem clean the MAF sensor as it is easy to do and may work well for you.

Thanks again