2nd Gen: Anyone Replaced Coil Packs and Plugs Yet?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Caretaker

2nd Gen: Anyone Replaced Coil Packs and Plugs Yet?

Post by Caretaker »

I'm nearing 90,000 on my 2zr engine and was wondering if anyone on this board has replaced any/all of the coil packs and/or spark plugs on a 2nd generation Vibe yet? Rock auto does not list the same parts for the coil pack for the Vibe and the Matrix. The Denso coil pack is listed under the Vibe parts listing but oddly not on the Matrix. Does anyone know if the Denso coil pack is the OEM part?
I'm pretty confident that the Denso SC20HR11 spark plug is the OEM plug.
Rayven01

Re: 2nd Gen: Anyone Replaced Coil Packs and Plugs Yet?

Post by Rayven01 »

I replaced plugs (not packs), but on the 2AZ. Mine had NGKs in it originally and that's what I put back in. I know the 2ZR uses different plug sizes, so probably not much help.
Image  Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

thanks for your reply Rayven.

Really???? Nobody out there has replaced their 2ZR (2nd generation corolla engine) plugs or coil packs?...........crickets chirping.....................
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Caretaker wrote:I'm nearing 90,000 on my 2zr engine and was wondering if anyone on this board has replaced any/all of the coil packs and/or spark plugs on a 2nd generation Vibe yet? Rock auto does not list the same parts for the coil pack for the Vibe and the Matrix. The Denso coil pack is listed under the Vibe parts listing but oddly not on the Matrix. Does anyone know if the Denso coil pack is the OEM part?
I'm pretty confident that the Denso SC20HR11 spark plug is the OEM plug.
AD lists the SK20R11 Denso / IFR6A11 NGK as oem on the 2AZ - can't look at the 2zr
and gm part 19185426 as the oem coil pack which could be a relabeled Denso

Maybe try one of the gm part catalogs, then use that part number as a cross reference on some other sites.
Amazon should give you a good list if you plug in your vehicle, and you can view the comments as well
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

OK, I took out my plugs today and examined the coil packs. I'm no ignition coil expert, but they did not have any unusual burn marks inside or out. I purchased the new Denso SC20HR11 plugs from Rock Auto. They were exactly what was put in at NUMMI. I did have some trouble putting together various ratchet extensions to allow me to clear the black plastic fan intake ledge. The 6 inch extension is too long and the 3 inch is too short. I ended up using my 1/2 ratchet extension with a 1/2 to 3/8ths reducer to get past the ledge and lower the parts down each chamber. The old spark plugs (85,000 miles) appeared to be firing clean and hot. However, at the base of each plug where the ceramic meets the alloy, was a dark brown ring around the base of the ceramic. Since I have not changed plugs on a car since my 1969 Valient, I'm not sure if that dark ring has any meaning. Hopefully I'll see some improved gas mileage with the fresh plugs.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I don't think the discoloration is a bad sign. 90,000 miles on the plugs should still be good, I think the Matrix manual says to replace plugs at something like 110-120,000 miles.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
dragon64

Post by dragon64 »

I was hoping that Accell would make a aftermarket performance coil for the 2ZR like they have for the 1gen engines but don't think that will happen now that MSD bought the company.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

AD lists the SK20R11 Denso / IFR6A11 NGK as oem on the 2AZ - can't look at the 2zr
and gm part 19185426 as the oem coil pack which could be a relabeled Denso

You can still find the A/C Delco Iridium at AutoZone for $6.99 each, but it's actually the Denso SK20R11. It's clearly marked on the plug body.
Attachments
Denso.jpg
Denso.jpg (10 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Yes I ordered the AC Delco part and got the denso's in the box.
If watch the price of them on Amazon, they drop to free after rebate often.

I just replaced them this weekend. Easiest spark plug job I've ever done
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

My son and I will be tackling this job (along with PCV valve replacement soon). I'm at 92 thou. and some change on my '09 GT.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

PonchoGT wrote:My son and I will be tackling this job (along with PCV valve replacement soon). I'm at 92 thou. and some change on my '09 GT.
PCV is easy, although my local parts store stocked two parts [a metric and english equiv] It takes a bigger wrench than in a typical kit, or an extended socket if you use that, but easy to get off.

If you've ever done plugs on any other car, you'll be screaming why couldn't be as easy as the vibe is. It is almost plug and play
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Well, we made the nearly 3000 mile trek across the country to our new home in San Diego. The Fit and Vibe performed flawlessly, although my loaded up/weighed down Vibe's transmission was talking to me as we went up the steep hills of the Cleveland National Forest after passing through the blistering hot Imperial Dunes. Although I just put in fresh Denso plugs, I am getting a minor rough idle, especially when in neutral, and I continue to get the near-stall idle drop when coming to a complete stop. I am thinking of getting the orange intake manifold gasket and PCV at the local Toyota dealer and having it put in by my local mechanic. I thought I would have this done prior to ordering up new Denso ignition coils and putting them in myself. What do you all think? I have had a can of BG run through (induction service) in the past as well. Since I live near the freeway, my gas mileage has been a consistent 33 mpg.
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

I swapped out my plugs and PCV valve this weekend. Just short of 5,000 miles from 100k on the odo. I discovered a deep well, oxygen sensor removal tool fits the PCV valve perfectly, leaving enough clearance to attach a socket wrench to it to rotate it out.

It comes factory coated with anti-seize compound, but if it's stubborn, hit it with a shot of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench. Ditto for the plugs. No. 3 on mine was stubborn at first, but PB Blaster prevailed. The job took about 30 minutes. Cake!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I just got my car back yesterday from my new mechanic in the Oceanside area. I brought the car in under the guise of an unstable idle (minor) with no trouble codes; and RPMs diving down to 650 when coming to a complete stop causing a near stall situation. Here is what he did:

His scan showed that the actual and desired minimum throttle PIDs did not match and found that the minimum throttle setting was not complete (ie: apparently whenever the battery is removed, a throttle relearn procedure is supposed to be performed). He removed the throttle bore assembly and cleaned the throttle plates with a tooth brush and Amsoil (Seafoam equivalent). He performed the throttle relearn procedure using the scan tool and identified that the PIDs are at the correct setting.

http://diycardoctor.com/accelerator_pedal_position.htm

He also said that my rear engine mount may be weakening internally, although it was at the proper level. He also said that I should wait for a code on my ignition coils and not waste money putting new ones in as preventative maintenance.

This guy seemed real sharp; much better than my old mechanic back in DC. With a lot of carbon removed using the Amsoil ("Seafoam") product, the car still dives down to 650 at a hard stop, but recovers much quicker and does not shudder as if it is about to stall.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Caretaker wrote:He performed the throttle relearn procedure using the scan tool and identified that the PIDs are at the correct setting.
Yes there is even a power window re-learn function once battery is disconnected [as noted in the OEM remote starter add-on]

You power down each window down half way, then hold power up until closed + an additional 2 seconds
msmyer

Post by msmyer »

I have a 2003 Vibe and I have all my coil packs changed...Cylinder 3 has been replaced twice on warranty.
‘03 Vibe with 317k and still going.............................

Other Mods: Sony X-Plod Headunit & Reflective White GVC decalMy Car at Cardomain.com... http://www.cardomain.com/id/msmyer