Engine coolant advice (again!!) 07 vibe / base model

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jammin81

Engine coolant advice (again!!) 07 vibe / base model

Post by Jammin81 »

Hello and hope everyone is staying safe ?

I need engine coolant / antifreeze advice for my 07 vibe base 1.8 model car.

I checked the white over flow tank and it appears red / pink from the outside of the tank. When I opened the cap and shone a light in there it was an orange / rust colour. Maybe just on the top layer of fluid? I tried to move the fluid and get a better sample but probably not the most ideal spot to take a sample anyway.

I’m 99% sure it is the same fluid from the factory (so more than likely the Toyota pink super life fluid?) but wanted exactly the same stuff to go back in and advice from people more knowledgeable!
Attachments
B85E17E1-4F06-4BC5-B97D-D7F833145981.jpeg
B85E17E1-4F06-4BC5-B97D-D7F833145981.jpeg (644.99 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
She had a face like a box of frogs!
Caretaker

Re: Engine coolant advice (again!!) 07 vibe / base model

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, it is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. There are lots of equivalents now. My favorite is Zerex Asian. I use it in my Hyundai and my Vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlmsFvkFYw
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

Caretaker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:22 am Yep, it is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. There are lots of equivalents now. My favorite is Zerex Asian. I use it in my Hyundai and my Vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlmsFvkFYw
Thanks for the reply. I just called the dealership and they told me it was dex cool?!

I’m 99% sure it was the Toyota red/pink stuff but don’t want to change it at 150k miles!

Old stuff out. Same stuff back in?!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, that's one of several mistakes printed in our owner's manual. For the second gen Vibe, our manuals state that we have Toyota Type IV transmission fluid in our car...............WRONG. Your first gen Vibe has Toyota Type IV, but not our second generation.
So getting back to your coolant, please don't put any Dexcool in your car. It is all Toyota coolant and the Zerex Asian is a perfect match assuming you have an auto store nearby that carries it. Cheers.
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

Caretaker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:26 am Yep, that's one of several mistakes printed in our owner's manual. For the second gen Vibe, our manuals state that we have Toyota Type IV transmission fluid in our car...............WRONG. Your first gen Vibe has Toyota Type IV, but not our second generation.
So getting back to your coolant, please don't put any Dexcool in your car. It is all Toyota coolant and the Zerex Asian is a perfect match assuming you have an auto store nearby that carries it. Cheers.
Cheers!

I changed my ATF fluid about 5k ago and used the type 4 from Toyota. No problems so far..... touch wood. This is what the manual said and didn’t want to mess with that.

I called three dealerships earlier and they all said dex cool was what’s in there or what to use for that car now and what they would use if flushing the system.

I’m so confused right now.... i May just leave the coolant alone at this stage. If it’s not broken don’t fix it kind of thing?!

Here is the images from my tank. Harder to see because of the discoloration of the plastic but red more than anything else
!
Attachments
537D9C12-E329-450D-A0B6-2D6D4BE22503.jpeg
537D9C12-E329-450D-A0B6-2D6D4BE22503.jpeg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The car came with Toyota red, use toyota red, or equivalent. I don't know if dexcool has changed, but at one point there were a reports of sludging issues when mixing dexcool and other coolants. Do not use dexcool in an 07. Not the way it should be, but trust us on this, not the dealerships.

Also, if that top pic is of your car, it's remarkably clean for a 13 year old car
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Here is all you need to know regarding the difference between Toyota Red (long life coolant) and Toyota Pink (Super long life coolant). As you will read at the end of this link, you can put the Toyota Pink in your car even though it came with Red from the factory, or you can just buy the cheaper Red and change your fluid more often:

https://garagedreams.net/products/toyot ... -is-better
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

joatmon wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:13 pm The car came with Toyota red, use toyota red, or equivalent. I don't know if dexcool has changed, but at one point there were a reports of sludging issues when mixing dexcool and other coolants. Do not use dexcool in an 07. Not the way it should be, but trust us on this, not the dealerships.

Also, if that top pic is of your car, it's remarkably clean for a 13 year old car
I was going to mention that in the post! Disclaimer - this is NOT my car!! ;o)

I just got upstairs and forgot to picture where I drew the sample from!

I’m almost positive due to the colour it’s dex cool. The white colour plastic may make it look a slight shade lighter but when I look using a flashlight it’s orange.

Anyway - if I flush the system properly and replace will it be ok? I’m thinking of using the Toyota pink formula? Appreciate the reply also <
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

Caretaker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:33 pm Here is all you need to know regarding the difference between Toyota Red (long life coolant) and Toyota Pink (Super long life coolant). As you will read at the end of this link, you can put the Toyota Pink in your car even though it came with Red from the factory, or you can just buy the cheaper Red and change your fluid more often:

https://garagedreams.net/products/toyot ... -is-better
This makes me 99.999% sure on going with the pink stuff. I was looking at it on eBay earlier and then my daughter tripped in the hallway!

I will price it and end up making a decision tonight or tomorrow . Appreciate the link!

I just found it but had a different colour bottle / cap. It’s sold as super long life so assuming it’s the same. I need to contact the dealership tomorrow.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

All GM dealerships are going to tell you to use dexcool, as that is what THEY call for.

That said, the biggest concern is keeping all of the fluid the same. If you're unsure of what is in there, drain it all and refill with your preferred flavor.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

zbyers wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:43 am All GM dealerships are going to tell you to use dexcool, as that is what THEY call for.

That said, the biggest concern is keeping all of the fluid the same. If you're unsure of what is in there, drain it all and refill with your preferred flavor.
Thanks for the reply! I approached my mechanic and told him the dilemma. I also told him that after GM replaced the engine (long story.....) THEY used dex cool as a coolant. I’m almost positive that’s what is in there and has a slight rusty / orange tinge to it.

I ordered Toyota pink and will have him flush the system and refill using the 50/50 pink stuff they use in the 07 matrix.

My only concern now is that they will miss some of the fluid or not drain the old fluid properly :-/

Still positivity and hoping I will get rid of the dex cool and back to the proper Toyota fluids!

EDIT - system was flushed and replaced with Toyota super life pink 50/50.

I will update in a few months also!