Is it possible the shop screwed up my daughters head gasket while changing timing cover gasket and valve pan gasket

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Joemomma

Is it possible the shop screwed up my daughters head gasket while changing timing cover gasket and valve pan gasket

Post by Joemomma »

My daughter is away at college and recently took her 04 vibe in because she had “oil spraying everywhere” and the shop said it was the timing cover gasket and valve pan gaskets. This sounded on the up and up with me considering I can’t make it up to her to physically look at the car. However after having her car for around 9 or ten days they finally told her it was fixed and she could pick it up. The same day she picked it up she called me and said she was overheating and losing power to which I thought head gasket, but when she talked to the same shop they said it was the water pump and she wouldn’t be charged labor labor on it because it should have been noticed the first time. Now after doing the water pump they are saying it is the head gasket after all and offered her 400$ to buy the car as is. My question is does anyone think they may have damaged the head gasket during the replacement of the timing cover gasket. Thanks for any help on this
Caretaker

Re: Is it possible the shop screwed up my daughters head gasket while changing timing cover gasket and valve pan gasket

Post by Caretaker »

While there is no way I could possibly answer your question, I had my entire engine removed when my timing cover gasket started leaking down the entire side and on to the belts and pulleys. It cost me $2200 to get the job done. Now 2.5 years later, I'm still driving my car and crossing my fingers for another year. At the time I was ready to dump the Vibe. I got my 10 years out of it and looked high and low at many different models and buying options. Other than finding an expensive Prius V, I decided to roll the dice against my better judgement and keep the Vibe. I've lucked out so far, and as you can read below, there are some very good options coming up on the horizon that I likely will dump the Vibe for. While you did not state the cost of your repairs to date, you seem to indicate in your question whether the $$ offer was the right way to go or is "just one more repair" going to solve all your problems. In addition to saying how sorry I am you went through this, I can only offer this advice as I do to many people who come to me for car buying advice: I bought my college bound an indestructible Fit. Now 7 years in our possession, the kid is getting sick of the car because it looks like a badly worn couch that just won't quit. While I have no mechanical advice for you, a 16 year old car is waaaay too old to be sinking good money into. While I sympathize with the bills you have incurred, my only advice for a parent with a young driver is to go get them a used Fit, first or second generation. Like mine, your child will grow very sick of it as the years keep going by and the OEM parts Honda put in those vehicles keep ticking along. Moreover, the insurance companies like the safety of such a small vehicle so insurance costs won't keep you up at night. The Fit has been a wonderful investment in knowing that someone thousands of miles away is likely to turn the key each and every day and have a trouble free trip. Best of luck to you.
Pauls325

Re: Is it possible the shop screwed up my daughters head gasket while changing timing cover gasket and valve pan gasket

Post by Pauls325 »

Think there was a typo in there "valve pan gaskets" aren't a thing, will either be oil pan or valve cover....
a ruined head gasket was most likely a result of overheating, without looking at it cant really help, take it to another shop for a second opinion,
just tell them its overheating, explain the rest later if they ask more questions or after they have a diagnosis.

also you should probably verify that your daughter knows the difference between coolant and oil, the only times "oil sprays everywhere" is if the fill cap is off or the oil filter isn't tight. (there are others but you know)

They will start by topping off the coolant and getting the car to overheat...
or doing a cooling system pressure test.
then they will probably move on to a block test if it holds pressure.
2009 Vibe 2.4
2007 Grand Prix GXP
1970 Trans AM
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvinbe, sorry about the troubles.

I agree with Pauls325

If a shop ever said to me "The problem will be very expensive to fix, but we'll give you pocket change for the whole car" I would definitely get a second opinion. As a trade in on a new car, their offer isn't much different from what a dealer might offer, but I wouldn't sell it to them just out of principle

For me it always comes down to how much to fix vs. how much to buy a different car in the same shape as the one I already own if fixed.

Its hard to rely on remote service interactions to make a decision, sucks to not be able to be there and help her deal with it in person
Joemomma

Post by Joemomma »

Thanks for the response everyone and they were helpful but does anyone know if the timing cover gasket requires you to pull any of the head bolts? I’m wondering if when replacing the timing cover gasket they may have miss torqued them damaging the head gasket. I’ve never worked on a vibe other than changing oil and breaks and I really don’t know the set up, but I found it very suspicious that they immediately offered money for the car. Almost like they’re trying to buy the evidence of their mechanic screwing up her head gasket. I may be completely off and everything might have been legit but it’s my daughter and I wanna make sure she doesn’t get taken advantage of
JerryV

Post by JerryV »

You don't say whether it is the 1.8L or 2.4L engine, but more than likely the 1.8L. I can't say much about those, but on the 2.4L the head bolts definitely do not have to be disturbed to replace the timing chain cover. I recently had to do that on a used engine I put in an 09 Gt. The engine came out of a vehicle that had a different motor mount boss on the timing cover.

Do you know if they removed the engine to repair it? Others seem to indicate that that is necessary. They may not have gotten the cooling system refilled completely. I know I was concerned with that. The cooling system only holds 6 quarts so it is important that it be full.

Jerry
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Doing the timing cover gasket does not require dismantling of the head. Essentially you remove the accessories on the drive belt (unbolt PS pump, AC compressor, alternator, water pump, etc). Then you remove the valve cover. Lock the timing chain in place (strong zip ties usually suffice). Remove timing chain tensioner, then remove the crank. We also drained the oil and did the oil pan gasket while we were at it, since that was leaking too.

Then essentially undo the timing cover. Clean all surfaces, reinstall. etc.

I had another member on here helping--rather I was helping watch him do it-- and it took us maybe 8-9 hours all said and done.

While doing this, it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the water pump. You're already removing it, and that's one of the weakest links on this.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

Anything is possible, but it would be highly unlikely. You would not touch the head bolts to pull the timing cover, unless you did not know what you are doing. Just from how you have described what has happened, I would think I would take it to another shop for a second opinion and repairs. Trust plays a big roll in this and I do not get a warm feeling about how this has played out for you and your daughter. I would find someone else to do future repairs.

Sometimes weird things happen in car repairs that can make more work and expense than planned. Generally these things can be explained and make reasonable sense. In this case, the pieces of the puzzle do not fit in place by what you are describing and that is were I do not get a good feeling about the diagnostic or repair ability of the shop you are working with. I would find someone else to do future repairs.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

The water pump failure and overheating maybe warped the head? That's always my concern with older aluminum engines esp. 4-cycle...?
They should have checked the oil and spark plugs before even bothering replacing the water pump.
This is sad.
I wish cars had an audible temp warning beeper, but it can happen so fast even that might not save the head gasket.
2006 AWD, 207k