Hello from "Da Yoop"

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
UPvibe

Hello from "Da Yoop"

Post by UPvibe »

Hey All!
Just wanted to say hello from the u p of Michigan. I just bought a 2009 Pontiac vibe base model, with a hundred eighty thousand miles on it. Red hot metallic. It's my first car in a while. I've been a truck guy for the last 5 years. Prior to that I tuned Volkswagens and Audis. Even jumped into the Volvo game for a couple of years with an s60r. That was a big mistake LOL.

I bought this car from an older couple. Been very well taken care of, very well-documented on all the repairs. I'm hoping this will be a good efficient car. Here in the upper peninsula we get a lot of snow. The car came with a set of snow tires. Which is usually mandatory around these parts.

The only repair I have to do to the car is replace the rear right hub / abs unit. the previous owner was also complaining about coil pack malfunctions, and I had one check engine light as soon as I purchase the car. But I've been using 89 octane fuel and haven't had another misfire in about 500 miles.

I've been enjoying reading about the little tweaks and modifications you guys make to your vibes. And it's already giving me some ideas. My normal MO is to tweak my cars to get as much power out of it as possible. But with this little 1.8, I'm just more focused on fuel efficiency and having a nice economical ride. Even though I wouldn't mind of 1.8 t transplant LOL.

So I'm excited to be a part of this forum, and I hope I can add to the knowledge base of this community, As well as gain some insight into any future issues I may encounter.
Caretaker

Re: Hello from "Da Yoop"

Post by Caretaker »

Great; welcome. Just make sure you monitor the oil consumption. You may not have had to deal with that with your previous makes/models.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Yeah up there you definitely need snow tires and sometimes chains! :o You won't regret getting this vehicle. Very reliable, easy to work on, and fun to drive. Enjoy the ride :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
UPvibe

Post by UPvibe »

Thank you all!

I'm hoping this car does well for me. I've been driving a Ford ranger for the last 4 years...but at 288k on the clock...things were getting dicey. Great trucks.
Three months ago I picked up a 2000 Jeep Cherokee police vehicle w/ 96k on the ticker. I'll never buy another one.
Both of those are sold now. Sold them both for 1500...and bought this vibe for 1800.

Prev. Owner said it will use around a half quart of oil between oil changes. Upon examination...I checked the oil...half qt. low...checked the oil change record and it was ready. Changed oil last night.

Honestly I'm feeling a bit pampered with this Vibe. Quiet, smooth ride, automatic, comfy seats. I like it already.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

welcome yooper

I've had vibes and rangers, hte Vibe is alot more comfortable to drive, and it can still haul a surprising amount of things

I spent a week in Ishpeming last July, beautiful country, but some of the densest fog of mosquitoes I've ever run across