Clutch Question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JerryV

Clutch Question

Post by JerryV »

I am getting my 09 GT back together and have a question about the clutch. There doesn't appear to be any spring there to retract the fork and throwout bearing from the pressure plate. I am wondering if there is supposed to be one and how it connects.

Thanks,

Jerry
zbyers

Re: Clutch Question

Post by zbyers »

I'm not 100% positive on the second gen, but I do not believe there is an actual spring to do so.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
JerryV

Post by JerryV »

I haven't seen anything about it in the service info I have either, but it seems like there should be something to keep the throwout bearing off the pressure plate so the bearing isn't spinning all the time. I haven't worked on a clutch for a long time, but every other one I've seen is that way.

Jerry
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I would presume that's the objective of the clutch fork too. I don't recollect any spring when I swapped the clutch of my 03.

You could try calling the Toyota dealer and inquiring about a Matrix or Corolla of the same year.

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

zbyers wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:36 am I would presume that's the objective of the clutch fork too. I don't recollect any spring when I swapped the clutch of my 03.
I don't remember any such spring on my 03 either. Is it possible the rubber fork boot is stiff enough to do the job without a spring?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

joatmon wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:55 am
zbyers wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:36 am I would presume that's the objective of the clutch fork too. I don't recollect any spring when I swapped the clutch of my 03.
I don't remember any such spring on my 03 either. Is it possible the rubber fork boot is stiff enough to do the job without a spring?
That's logical. Here is a write up on doing it, but I follow a slightly different procedure than this. I don't see anything about a spring.

http://wehavescissors.blogspot.com/2009 ... be-or.html