Greetings from Colorado

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
RubyTumbler

Greetings from Colorado

Post by RubyTumbler »

New to the Forum
recently moved to Colorado... in the Vibe hahaa
between. Golden Denver and Boulder 1/2 up the .mountains from each ...
So far the Vibe has been great mountains
up 13-14 k
Reside at about 9 k
Fresh mountain air ... anyone in the area ..
zbyers

Re: Greetings from Colorado

Post by zbyers »

welcome to the party. We do have a member on our FB page that lives near CO Springs. Another frequents Denver.

Post some pictures of your Vibe in those gorgeous mountains. We went up through Estes Park 3 years ago and i absolutely loved it! :D
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I live in Golden, but am "stuck" in central Florida for a while. Virus-related travel issues, long story. I hope to get home in June.

The 4 speed auto and 1.8 L engine are fine in the Rockies. We drive to Durango frequently and get 40 mpg regularly on that trip. It drops off a bit doing 75+ mph on the interstate. We got 34 mpg on the trip to Florida. I'm retired so I don't commute in it, and seldom drive in the city. It's been a reliable and economical car for the 2.5 years I've had it.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

andrewclaus wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 amWe drive to Durango frequently and get 40 mpg regularly on that trip.
I loved Durango area when we went through. I camped somewhere not far from there... Beautiful area.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'm not there but have been there a lot, got a sibling who lives at the northwest edge of the Denver suburban sprawl. Never took the Vibe there though. The airport has a pretty steep rental car concession fee.

Got caught in a killer hail storm halfway up Boulder canyon once, luckily I was able to pull over under a tree to spare the rental car. You have some truly manic weather out there. I was out there in January, beautiful weather in the 70's. they got half a foot of snow the day after I flew out. I was supposed to be out there now, but with virus travel issues, not sure when I'll get back out there. Mostly out of need to not put the vulnerable people I'd visit at risk.

Living here at sea level makes it quite an adjustment to deal with the low O2, and the low humidity up there. It's nice these days with computer controlled ignition and fuel injection, cars seem to be able to adapt to the changes better than me. Not like the old days where we had to manually tweak the timing and carburetor mix.

Where did you move from?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yes welcome. I tried to move to the Stapleton properties 10 years ago. I really enjoyed watching the tornado fronts form over Adams county, our trips up to Celestial Seasonings and drinking peppery Zinfandels at the Balestreri winery.
RubyTumbler

Post by RubyTumbler »

I'm in Gilpin County Central City Co.... things are bit rough rite now
Beautiful area
Tried to post a pic or 2. Too big .?
life at elevation is a trip..I'm originally from NY @ sea level
love this little car . Wish wash awd.on 1 hand (removed)
have Zchains and seems to do fine even on 8% +grade roads
RubyTumbler

Post by RubyTumbler »

RubyTumbler wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:55 am I'm in Gilpin County Central City Co.... things are bit rough rite now
Beautiful area
Tried to post a pic or 2. Too big .?
life at elevation is a trip..I'm originally from NY @ sea level
love this little car . Wish was awd.on 1 hand buT
have Zchains and seems to do fine even on 8% -10% grade roads with some deepish snow