2009 vibe intermittent front end shaking

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pwyu1969

2009 vibe intermittent front end shaking

Post by pwyu1969 »

So here is a weird one. I have a 2009 2.4L with 5 speed. I have recently replaced on the front end, both struts, outer tie rod ends, ball joints, and CV axels. This past month I put my regular wheels on for snow tires. I noticed that the front ends was shaking, like the tires were out of balanced. Then it stopped shaking, so I figure I was on a buckled MI road and when on smooth road, then it was fine. Then on braking, the car shakes, like bad rotors. But then it stops shaking on braking and everything is fine, even when braking hard from 60 mph. Sometimes at low speeds or slowing down it feels like the tranny shakes, like doing a bad 1st fear start, but most of the time it’s fine. Sometimes it feels like the front end is going to fall off and then it will smooth right out. I have suspicions but wondering if anyone has any ideas?
andrewclaus

Re: 2009 vibe intermittent front end shaking

Post by andrewclaus »

Something(s) is (are) still worn and certain combinations of speeds and torques will resonate. Loose mounts, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, unbalanced wheels, etc. Without driving the car and feeling it, it's difficult to guess.
zbyers

Re: 2009 vibe intermittent front end shaking

Post by zbyers »

Is the issue present with your winter tires? If not, I'd take the summer wheels to a shop and have them make sure they are still balanced.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe