oil leak

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Cat

oil leak

Post by Cat »

Hi everyone. I have been on here for a while, but this is my first post. I have an 03 with 197,000 miles that I have had for about a year and a half. Great car! I loved the Vibes when they first came out, and I finally bought one to be my daily driver.

I have been noticing some oil residue on the alternator, and the source of the leak is down lower. The oil is getting on the serpentine belt and is flying off on the alternator. The only way to find out where it us leaking will probably be to pull off everything driven by the belt. Is there a gasket somewhere down there that is known to leak? This is not something I would attempt to fix myself, but I do have a good mechanic I can take it to. Otherwise, the car runs great and is doing well for the years and miles.
Attachments
vibe 001c.jpg
vibe 001c.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
Caretaker

Re: oil leak

Post by Caretaker »

I'm not sure if the first gen has the same issue as the second gen, but with mine, the oil leak was coming from the timing chain cover and is a widely known problem throughout Toyota's 1.8 liter engine lineup. I have seen some writings that the $1 rubber gasket can be replaced without lifting the engine out. My mechanic said otherwise and took it all out. That minor leak dripped down onto all the components you stated. When I asked my mechanic whether I could just live with it, he said no. I trusted him and had him do the whole procedure.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Welcome to the party. Brownie points for including a picture!

Oil leaks are slightly common on these, especially as the age. In general order of commonality:

1) Valve Cover Gasket
2) Timing Chain Tensioner O-ring
3) Timing Cover
3a) Oil Pan
3b) Crank Seal

3, 3a, and 3b all kinda go together, as you can reseal all of those at once if you do the timing cover. Timing cover reseal can be done in the car (been there done that) but is easier removed. It can be a pricey repair.

if it's on the alternator, i would suspect crank seal, which can be done on it's own.

then of course you have the obvious, oil drain plug, oil filter, and oil pressure sensor.

hopefully that info helps you narrow it down and see what the solution will be.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Cat

Post by Cat »

Thanks for the good information. I will run this by my mechanic and see what he thinks.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hopefully it's not your timing chain cover gasket which is what I'm dealing with .... see my post at: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46475 Keep us posted as you go through with this repair
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Cat

Post by Cat »

I just picked up my car from my mechanic. He replaced the crank seal and serpentine belt, so I hope all is good for a while. Cost was $230, so I don't think that was too bad.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The serpentine belt isn't very hard, but I would be intimidated by the crank seal job, sound like you got it done for a good price. Hope that solves the leak, let us know
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Cat wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 pm I just picked up my car from my mechanic. He replaced the crank seal and serpentine belt, so I hope all is good for a while. Cost was $230, so I don't think that was too bad.
Sounds fair & lets hope that the ONLY leak was from the oil crank seal. Too many times there are either multiple leaks OR what seems like the real leak DON'T get fixed and you still end up with a leak :x Put some time & miles on the Vibe and let us know if the project was a success.

In my case I am now just starting to re-drive my 2004 Vibe GT (leg injury had me sidelined for 5 weeks ... clutch leg) after my buddy fixed my oil leak. In fact the car was finished May 13 and I had my leg accident on May 12. Wife had to drive the Vibe home :evil:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"