best upgrades for performance that actually make a huge difference !?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
rocker69

best upgrades for performance that actually make a huge difference !?

Post by rocker69 »

hello all. got a 2005 vibe base and wanting to upgrade some parts for better handling and more HP. when i press the gas, i wanna feel a quick, smooth response, no lag would be great. any REAL mods that are $$ reasonable that give 15-20 more hp ? what do you all recommend for suspension upgrades? any parts that make a huge difference? will upgrade in stages and want to know what is your first choice best upgrade i can get to give the car a stiff, yet road absorbing ride. give me the scoop on what to do :)
zbyers

Re: best upgrades for performance that actually make a huge difference !?

Post by zbyers »

Lowering springs, and a progress rear sway bar both help in handling improvements.

A short ram or cold air intake also help the gas pedal feel more responsive.

Outside of those, unless you spend good money, there isn't much to do to this car, stock, that would make it quicker.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Also better tires improve fuel economy and handling.

Just remember, it's a 1zz engine, and it's a station wagon. Without seriously modifying the entire car, which costs $$$$, there's not a ton you can do.

Good tune-ups make a big difference, as well as replacing the intake manifold gasket :)
rocker69

Post by rocker69 »

ok ty. ill check into those items.
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

Of all the criticism I can make about my 09 base 1.8, "laggy" would not be one of them. It has no power, but it's a zippy little (removed). Maybe tune up time. Try some jet fuel in it?
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

Of all the criticism I can make about my 09 base 1.8, "laggy" would not be one of them. It has no power, but it's a zippy little critter. Maybe tune up time. Try some jet fuel in it?
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

FatherTime wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:12 pm Of all the criticism I can make about my 09 base 1.8, "laggy" would not be one of them. It has no power, but it's a zippy little critter. Maybe tune up time. Try some jet fuel in it?
Not sure how kerosene will help, but sure! :)
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

I dont want to be a party pooper but i feel lowering springs are a bad addition to the vibe. This is just my opinion and some other vibe owners may be happy with their suspension upgrades. Its just in my experience i had two broken front TRD springs after a few years of using them on my 2009 vibe. It was riding like junk so the stock springs went back on.

The only good things to improve the vibe are strut brace and grippy summer tires imo. Also, cold air intake isnt any good becuase the filter can get wet in rain. I know from experience becuase ive wasted money on frivolous thimgs for the vibe in the past. Really, money is better spent on practical maintenance type items such as coolant replacent, brake fluid replacement and similar items boring as it may be.. but these toyotas should run a long time if cared for properly. I dont even bother with the summer tires anymore becuase theyre expensive, wear out too fast and its annoying to switch wheels in the winter..
So lately, she rolls on all seasons.

Other than that i would recommend putting some funds aside to slowly save up for a dedicated sports machine if thats what youre interested in.

Get something manual, RWD or AWD, powerful engine etc.. then you can have some real fun. Leave the vibe for commuting and running errands. That what it was designed for.
Last edited by vibedrivermatt on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I dont want to be a party pooper but i feel lowering springs are a bad addition to the vibe. This is just my opinion and some other vibe owners may be happy with their suspension upgrades. Its just in my experience i had two broken front TRD springs after a few years of using them on my 2009 vibe. It was riding like junk so the stock springs went back on.
There are many who've been on lowering springs for 100k+ miles. I've had them for probably 40k miles with zero issues. The bigger concern is using quality struts when lowering.
Also, cold air intake isnt any good becuase the filter can get wet in rain. I know from experience becuase ive wasted money on frivolous thimgs for the vibe in the past.
Typical rain storms will not cause the filter to get wet. Now, if you're fording things or traversing through big puddles, then yeah, it's a possibility.

A short ram intake is usually a better option, just for ease of maintaining the filter. With a CAI, you have to remove the headlight and better to get to the air filter since it drops it down behind the fog light. With a SRI, it essentially sits were the OEM box sat, so it's just in the engine bay.

But really, unless OP boosts the car, all the mods readily available would provide a nominal gain. Most do such mods just for aesthetics.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

zbyers wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:59 amThere are many who've been on lowering springs for 100k+ miles. I've had them for probably 40k miles with zero issues. The bigger concern is using quality struts when lowering.
Yes, well it could be that you first and second gen vibe owners had better options concerning suspension stuff. There were no aftermarket struts available for 3rd gen vibe, only springs. I still disagree about lowering any vibe but to each their own.. it could be i just became an old guy and im no fun anymore.
So take everything ive said with a grain of salt. Haha.