Cell phone holder 2005

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
VivianVibe

Cell phone holder 2005

Post by VivianVibe »

Hi, Can anyone please recommend a cell phone holder other than the CD slot? Cup one is out too. Need to use a GPS a lot for work and can't be looking down. Thanks
zbyers

Re: Cell phone holder 2005

Post by zbyers »

I made one of these using the largest binder clip I could find that fit onto one of the vents. Downfall: it gets toasted in the winter. I suppose if you have an aftermarket single din radio and have the storage cubby, you could likely clip it onto the lip there.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Binder ... Car-Mount/
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

zbyers wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 am I made one of these using the largest binder clip I could find that fit onto one of the vents. Downfall: it gets toasted in the winter. I suppose if you have an aftermarket single din radio and have the storage cubby, you could likely clip it onto the lip there.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Binder ... Car-Mount/
That is a really cool idea. I have a question though. How tight is the tension hold the phone? There are some pretty holey/rutty streets here in NC and I always fear having the phone drop out of console mounts.

Thanks for sharing!
2003 Base Vibe
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I haven't had too many issues with it, other than my phone is a weeeee bit too wide and i've broken the rubber band holding it together. we have some bad roads here in PA (yay for salt + freeze/thaw cycle) and it hasn't fallen out on toooo many other than MAJOR ones I didn't see.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Never heard or saw this one yet. Pretty clever I have to admit!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I use a suction cup on the windshield. Keeps the phone out of the way of the air blowing from the vents (even the top vents, because it stands off). That puts the phone in my field of view as well, so that I'm not turning my head or looking down to check it. power cable drops straight down on the passenger side.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Oh - also, check ram-mount.com

I have a drillless mount that's been in my Vibe since 2003 for my laptop. There are also attachments you can get to add your phone to the side, or just get a phone/tablet mount. It stands straight up from the left side of the passenger seat, and mounts to the front seat bolts. Since I got it, I've never had my laptop go anywhere. When someone broke into the car and stole stuff, they never touched the mount, even though the mount was worth more than what they stole :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

My wife got me one similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Holder-Com ... 266&sr=8-4
a few years ago. It works great in the Vibe, I mainly use it for GPS on my phone.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
OsideVibe760

Post by OsideVibe760 »

I took a magnetic phone holder and cut it down drilled a small hole and attached it to the dash
VivianVibe

Post by VivianVibe »

You all are fantastic and greatly appreciated. The instructable site is really cool w/ very clear instructions. The magnet idea was one of my first thoughts but I'm leery of having a magnet on my phone and it doing a number on my debit card. Anyway, I did find one, it uses an adhesive, I'm also going to buy some additional round 3M stickers if the sun weakens it. Here it is:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... YM8U&psc=1
I will post how it works out. Many thanks to you all and if any other cell phone holders come up please let me know. Take care.
wilson02

Post by wilson02 »

VivianVibe wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 pm Hi, Can anyone please recommend a cell phone holder other than the CD slot? Cup one is out too. Need to use a GPS a lot for work and can't be looking down. Thanks
Certainly! You can consider a dashboard or windshield mount for your cell phone. These mounts typically have suction cups or adhesive attachments to secure your phone in a convenient and easily visible location while driving. Just make sure it complies with local laws and regulations regarding phone usage while driving.
wilson02

Post by wilson02 »

VivianVibe wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 pm Hi, Can anyone please recommend a cell phone holder other than the CD slot? Cup one is out too. Need to use a GPS a lot for work and can't be looking down. Thanks
Consider a vent mount or a dashboard mount for your cell phone. They provide easy visibility without obstructing your view while using GPS for work.