key replacement - 2005 vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
lemo1952

key replacement - 2005 vibe

Post by lemo1952 »

I have a 2005 vibe that i lost my only key and fob. it was a plain key without a chip in it. I went to local dealer and they tell me i have to tow car to dealer for them to replace key. why do i have to do that if i only want to replace a key without a chip?
zbyers

Re: key replacement - 2005 vibe

Post by zbyers »

You should be able to give them the VIN number for them to cut the key. Alternatively, if you have a mobile locksmith in your are, they might be able to come to you and cut it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

As long as you do not need the fob, the dealer should be able to cut you a key from the VIN number on your Vibe as zbyers has said. A new fob would have to be programmed into the car and that would be done at the dealer's shop. Once you have the key made you can drive the car to the shop and have the fob programming done if needed.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

You can program new fobs yourself. They're like $15 on Amazon or eBay (or cheaper "borrowing" one from a junkyard. Get one from a Matrix as it has the panic button on the back too.

From the Service Manual:
Rewrite Mode (deletes old codes and adds new code)
  • 1. Setup: - ignition is off and key out - all doors closed except driver door - driver door unlocked
  • 2. insert and remove ignition key twice within 5 seconds
  • 3. close and open driver door twice in 40 seconds
  • 4. insert and remove ignition key once
  • 5. close and open driver door twice in 40 seconds
  • 6. insert ignition key
  • 7. close driver door
  • 8. turn ignition from LOCK to ON (not START) and back to LOCK 2 times
  • 9. remove ignition key
  • 10. system should LOCK and UNLOCK doors (once or twice) to confirm rewrite mode
  • 11. within 40 seconds simultaneously press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons of the fob for 1 to 1.5 seconds. Then within 1 second press either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the fob
  • 12. doors will LOCK and UNLOCK ONCE if code is accepted.
If they LOCK and UNLOCK twice, the code was not accepted and you need to repeat steps 11 and 12.13.

To add another transmitter code (up to 4 codes total) repeat steps 11 thru 13.Hope that helps. Let me know if it worked.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

I think they are saying to you that "we want to extract as much money from your wallet as possible", (without actually saying it. Another good example of key crooks is I recently attempted to get 2 spare keys cut at the local home improvement warehouse store that starts with "L". They wanted $75 for each key. I told him I didn't need a key with a transponder, my car does not have an immobilizer. He completely ignored what I said and explained that "it's still cheaper than the dealer". ChinaMart cut me 2 keys for $4. They are crooks.
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
Mark

Post by Mark »

My 2004 came with only one fob, so I bought another on Ebay and did the procedure zbyers posted (which I almost certainly found on this site way back when). It was a pain and took multiple attempts due to me missing steps or not being fast enough with other steps. But it worked, and the fob still works.

Once when my battery died I discovered that if you only ever use the fob to lock/unlock the doors, the key will wear with the ignition and will no longer work on the doors. I had to have a new key cut from the VIN.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

When I bought my Vibe, it had one key and that was pretty well rounded off. I took it to the Buick/GMC dealership and they made a replacement for me as I waited. Since they were charging me the hourly rate (i.e. expensive); I had them make several duplicates for around 75 cents each. If I remember correctly, I did have to show my registration to the counter person.
2003 Base Vibe