2010 GT Vibe wheels/rims

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Mygooger11

2010 GT Vibe wheels/rims

Post by Mygooger11 »

I have the rally wheels on my GT. Not sure what they’re called. We always called them ghetto wheels. I want to have regular tires again. Can I just put them on or do I absolutely need new rims?
zbyers

Re: 2010 GT Vibe wheels/rims

Post by zbyers »

I'm honestly not sure of the question. So long as the rims fit the vehicle correctly, and are not bent/broke/etc, you can remove the old tire, and have new tires put on the rims and still use those rims.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Mygooger11

Post by Mygooger11 »

I guess I was unclear with my post. I have a GT that came with those tiny tires which I hate. I want new regulation sized tires but can I just put them on my rims? I ask because someone told me I need all new rims as well.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Mygooger11 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:32 pm I have a GT that came with those tiny tires which I hate. I want new regulation sized tires but can I just put them on my rims? I ask because someone told me I need all new rims as well.
No you can't mount regular tires on your rims in place of "low profile" tires! There would not be enough clearance in the wheel wells. You'll need to search out some 17" or 16" rims THEN get new rubber to go on them. Your ride will be a lot softer BUT you'll lose cornering features
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

However, you may be able to find someone who WANTS those rims, and would trade you for normal wheels.
jolt

Post by jolt »

The Vibe 2010 GT should have a 2.4L engine. The rims from a Vibe with a 1.8L engine will not work on your GT. The 1.8L engine Vibe models have smaller hubs and a smaller bolt pattern for the rims. You will need rims from a 2.4L Vibe. You should be able to find used rims at a car salvage yard. The salvage yard will know what rims all fir your 2.4L Vibe. You can try checking here if you want used rims: https://www.partshotlines.com/
Mygooger11

Post by Mygooger11 »

Thanks everyone. You have been very helpful and clear. I am definitely going to do this. I hate those tires. They do not belong in a Minnesota winter.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Mygooger11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:26 pm They do not belong in a Minnesota winter.
I totally agree with you there. Summer time they will be great on the car .... but NOT in the winter. Do what several of us here do. Get a set of "knock-offs" plus some new rubber on them for winter driving, then change them out every season. I'll be doing this again come Thanksgiving break and will be the 10th year for this ;) FYI ... the steelies shown on my Vibe GT are 16" off of a Toyota Camry

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:17 pm
Mygooger11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:26 pm They do not belong in a Minnesota winter.
I totally agree with you there. Summer time they will be great on the car .... but NOT in the winter. Do what several of us here do. Get a set of "knock-offs" plus some new rubber on them for winter driving, then change them out every season. I'll be doing this again come Thanksgiving break and will be the 10th year for this ;) FYI ... the steelies shown on my Vibe GT are 16" off of a Toyota Camry

How did you mount the tires on the wall? :lol:

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 am
tpollauf wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:17 pm

How did you mount the tires on the wall? :lol:
Probably very long bolts set into studs.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

zbyers wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 am How did you mount the tires on the wall? :lol:
A little engineering ingenuity ;) 3/4" steel pipe "bent" then welded to some angle iron, painted, laminated on the ends with some 3/4" PVC pipe so there wouldn't be "steel on steel", lag screwed into the garage framing walls, then finally drilled holes for a bolt to drop into for "fall protection". The wife's G8 GT sits right under these tires and if one of them were to fall ..... well I don't think I have to say what the consequences would be :|

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:12 pm
zbyers wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 am How did you mount the tires on the wall? :lol:
A little engineering ingenuity ;) 3/4" steel pipe "bent" then welded to some angle iron, painted, laminated on the ends with some 3/4" PVC pipe so there wouldn't be "steel on steel", lag screwed into the garage framing walls, then finally drilled holes for a bolt to drop into for "fall protection". The wife's G8 GT sits right under these tires and if one of them were to fall ..... well I don't think I have to say what the consequences would be :|
Housing in inappropriately sized plywood shelter?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:59 pm
tpollauf wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:12 pm
Housing in inappropriately sized plywood shelter?
Bookworm is probably right.

Also, thanks for the info.. I need to create something simliar for all of our off-season tires one of these days.

jolt

Post by jolt »

Another part of this rim/wheel change that was not talked about was the tire pressure sensors on the rims. By using steel rims, you will loose the sensors, as the stock sensors will not fit the rims. This will cause the light for low tire pressure in the dash to be on all the time. You can buy new sensors for all the new steel rims and then have the sensors programed to the car. This would add several hundreds of dollars to the cost of the rim change just to have the low tire pressure warning light working after the rim change. Most the time when this is done the owner just puts a piece of tape over the light and calls it good, but you do what you want. I thought I would being it up so that you know what to expect with the tire/rim change.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thanks for the information. Even though my 2007 doesn't appear to use them, I'll have to keep that in mind in future, as I tend to get a full sized spare for whatever car I'm driving.