Vibe won't start in cold weather

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Brock98

Vibe won't start in cold weather

Post by Brock98 »

My car won't start now that the temp has dropped below zero. Thought it was the clutch safety switch as I bypassed that with a paperclip last year and it started. Got a new one put in last week but it won't even turn over. If I pump the clutch 60 times it might start. Any ideas on what the problem is?
jolt

Re: Vibe won't start in cold weather

Post by jolt »

Take the handle end of a large screw driver and tap on the starter with the handle. After tapping on the starter motor with the handle, try to start the engine. If it now starts, you have a bad starter.

If it does not start, you need to get a volt meter and start tracing down where you are losing voltage at. Main supply cable is hooked to the starter solenoid. Do you have voltage at that point? Also hooked to the starter solenoid is the start signal wire. When the key is turned to the start position, do you have voltage signal to the starter solenoid signal wire to tell the starter to run? If you don't have voltage then you need to start backtracking to find where you are losing you connection at. Anything short of this is just guessing.
Bookworm

Re: Vibe won't start in cold weather

Post by Bookworm »

When you turn the key, do you hear the 'click' of the starter solenoid? If so, then you likely have a bad starter. You may have to have the window rolled down, and shoot the barking dog next door, so you can hear it.