New Member! 2009 and engine mount dilemma

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
CQL81

New Member! 2009 and engine mount dilemma

Post by CQL81 »

Thanks for allowing me to join! I’ve referenced the forums often but never joined. I’ve had my 2009 2.4L for about 7 years and I’m at 264k miles. I’ve experienced lots of vibrations so I took her in today. Looks like all 4 engine mounts need replacing and I got what looks like to be an honest quote of $800 from my local garage. Car is paid off and I’m in a “use it till it dies” mode, but I hate pouring that much into her if something else costly is going to break down. Idk what to do. I love my car so much!
Caretaker

Re: New Member! 2009 and engine mount dilemma

Post by Caretaker »

Actually, the decision is quite easy. If you have money oozing out of your pockets, go buy something else. There are a lot of much better choices out there in the current model year than the Vibe and a new purchase always puts a smile on your face. If however, money is tight, then to me, $800 doesn't sound like much at all these days. I paid $2000 just to have a stinking, poorly designed, Toyota gasket replaced in my timing chain cover. I asked my mechanic to replace anything (like engine mounts) that looked worn while the engine was out. Nothing else needed to be done. I wouldn't put my car on death row for $800. But for the money I spent, I'll tell you that my car is already strapped in the chair and will get its final meal and jolt of electricity should one more costly item unexpectedly occur.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'd look at it this way.

A new car is going to cost you $400 a month, probably - if not more. If you feel that you can get at _least_ 4 months out of the car with the new engine mounts, you'll be ahead of the game, and you'll have had 4 months to look at options and start planning for a new vehicle.

If you'd have to dump $4,000 into the car to make it roadworthy, then you could replace the Vibe with someone else's for that same amount :) (or put a good chunk towards a down payment on a new car, or get a used car a year or so old from a car rental place)

It's a numbers game, as well as what satisfies you. I'm looking at dropping $1,000 on mine to replace all four shocks, plus the rear brakes, front brakes, and possibly the starter. I don't have a problem doing it.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

First off ... Welcome to GenVibe! :D Coming from the owner of several Vibes (four total) of which two of them are 2009 Vibe GT's which have your engine under the hood. One burns oil at the rate of one quart every 2500 miles or so .... no big deal (has 140k miles). The other is practically new and still has that new car smell (has just over 30k miles). Anyways not sure on that price but it seems a bit high BUT in any case I'd spend it and continue driving it. Lots of unknowns here which could lead us in to giving you a better answer/opinion. Where is this car primarily driven? That will make a difference as to its longevity (snow/salt winters or desert dry & hot ???) Update location so we have an idea on this. Also what, if any, major repairs has this car had so far in it's 10 year life? If not many then don't sweat it and keep driving and maintaining it for several more years.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

3 of the 4 mounts should be easy to replace. Front, and both sides. The rear mount is always a PITA.

Perhaps purchase the side mounts, and do them yourself. See if that resolves your problems. If not, purchase the front mounts, and replace the front yourself, and maybe have a friend help with the rear, or take that one to the shop to have them do it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
CQL81

Post by CQL81 »

Thanks y’all. I’m in Florida and drive a ton (for work). Yes, she has the oil burn as well. It’s just a normal thing for me at this point, lol. She hasn’t had any major repairs outside of the normal brakes and the like. I’m taking her in for a second quote from another repair shop. Money is indeed tight and I’d rather hold onto her than get a new car right now. I’m thinking I’ll probably do this repair and then start saving for something newer in the near future just in case. I wish I was in a position to replace these mounts myself but that’s definitely outside of my comfort zone!
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Im in the same boat. Got a quote from a local shop anywhere from 700-1100 bucks. I actually DID NOT want to do this job myself but for that price i cant justify having a shop do it. Im going to take the plunge and do 3 mounts myself and pray that I can get away without doing the rear...that one I refuse to do :lol: Im at 256K and not letting her go :lol: I havent had a car payment since 2012 and want to keep it that way for as long as I can.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:17 pm Im in the same boat. Got a quote from a local shop anywhere from 700-1100 bucks. I actually DID NOT want to do this job myself but for that price i cant justify having a shop do it. Im going to take the plunge and do 3 mounts myself and pray that I can get away without doing the rear...that one I refuse to do :lol: Im at 256K and not letting her go :lol: I havent had a car payment since 2012 and want to keep it that way for as long as I can.
There are instructions for how to do the back motor mount. It's not that it's _hard_, it's more that it's very tedious, from what I've read.

Be sure to check your sway bar linkages, ball joints, tie rods, etc, while you're down there :)
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:17 pm Im in the same boat. Got a quote from a local shop anywhere from 700-1100 bucks. I actually DID NOT want to do this job myself but for that price i cant justify having a shop do it. Im going to take the plunge and do 3 mounts myself and pray that I can get away without doing the rear...that one I refuse to do :lol: Im at 256K and not letting her go :lol: I havent had a car payment since 2012 and want to keep it that way for as long as I can.
It is recommended to replace the mounts in pairs, though. So if you do the front, I would definitely recommend doing the rear as well.

The rear isn't difficult persay. It's like playing blind tetris. It'll go in one way, but you can fight with it for a while to get it lined up.

cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

zbyers wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:10 am
It is recommended to replace the mounts in pairs, though. So if you do the front, I would definitely recommend doing the rear as well.

The rear isn't difficult persay. It's like playing blind tetris. It'll go in one way, but you can fight with it for a while to get it lined up.
Thx for the reminder !!!...Yes I did read that somewhere. Now I only have to do 2 :lol:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
CQL81

Post by CQL81 »

You’re a rock star. I could never attempt anything like that on a car! I had all mounts replaced.. $804. I shopped around a few places for the best deal. Ran great for a few days and now my check engine light is on and the car barely runs. Smh.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

CQL81 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 pm
You’re a rock star. I could never attempt anything like that on a car! I had all mounts replaced.. $804. I shopped around a few places for the best deal. Ran great for a few days and now my check engine light is on and the car barely runs. Smh.
Thx for the compliment. Actually the job is more scary than technical...but at this point in my life ( 47 yrs ) I would rather have the disposable cash to have someone else do it . My ideal weekend nowdays is no house or vehicle repair. I would rather clean the bathroom, sweep and mop :lol: Good luck with your issue. The Vibe is a awesome car, dont give up on it unless its terminal.
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Honestly, doing the mounts is pretty easy and straight forward. I think the front has 4 bolts holding it on. The two side mounts have maybe 8-10, and the rear has like 4. Moot point since they've been done now. But it really is an easy task! Just do them one at a time and you shouldn't hurt anything except your knuckles and feelings on the rear mount. :lol:

What codes is she throwing now?

CQL81

Post by CQL81 »

zbyers wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:22 am
Honestly, doing the mounts is pretty easy and straight forward. I think the front has 4 bolts holding it on. The two side mounts have maybe 8-10, and the rear has like 4. Moot point since they've been done now. But it really is an easy task! Just do them one at a time and you shouldn't hurt anything except your knuckles and feelings on the rear mount. :lol:

What codes is she throwing now?
P0101
P0171
C1201
C1241

Got it started and took it back to the shop. He couldn’t even start the car. Opened up the hood and he was like whoa.. something was obviously disconnected (I’m thinking it was the vacuum something), so he popped it back on and screwed it in. Car still wouldn’t start so I left it with him. He just called and said it’s starting fine now and the check engine light is off.

I’m gonna go pick it up. I know it still needs a lot more work, I just need it to run at least a few more months for me. My nerves can’t handle any more of this!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Just make sure that if issues continue, you keep taking it back and pestering them.