Key won’t open door.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Auscal

Key won’t open door.

Post by Auscal »

Through an unusual series of events I recently ended up with my car locked with the fob inside, but I had the actual key. Only to find out the key would not open any of the door locks. I have had my vibe since new, so I know it is the correct key etc. I know at one point this key opened the locks, but it has been many years since I have done so.
Soaking the locks with WD40 did not help. I’m now concerned if I ever have a flat battery I won’t even be able to get into car to pop the hood. What else can I try to get the locks working again?
andrewclaus

Re: Key won’t open door.

Post by andrewclaus »

If you can't open the car (the volunteer fire department I worked for trained me to do that, which has come in handy on the road), call a locksmith. He/she can open the car, fix the locks from the inside, or obtain the key code to cut you a new key if needed.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'd continue soaking the lock cylinders in WD-40/PB Blaster/white lithium grease, etc. Doing that, and slowly working the key in/out, back/forth, will eventually help you get it freed up. Issue is probably lack of use since most don't use the key in the cylinder. The biggest one nearly everyone will have issues with is the hatch, due to the inherent dirt that gathers on hatchbacks.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

To disagree, you NEVER use any kind of oil in a lock, unless you're willing to continually oil that same lock. Use alcohol and graphite.

The reason is that oil and grease attract dirt, which will eventually clog the lock solid.

Flip the key over. We have a key for the Mazda that will only work one way.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:12 pm To disagree, you NEVER use any kind of oil in a lock, unless you're willing to continually oil that same lock. Use alcohol and graphite.

The reason is that oil and grease attract dirt, which will eventually clog the lock solid.

Flip the key over. We have a key for the Mazda that will only work one way.
fair point.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Mark

Post by Mark »

I had the same thing happen with my 04 a few years ago. After years of only using the fob to unlock the door I found that the key no longer worked in the door. The simple explanation is that the key wears with the ignition, but the door lock hasn't worn at all. A local locksmith was able to grind me an original using the VIN, so I had several copies made.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite