Key won’t open door.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Auscal

Key won’t open door.

Post by Auscal »

Through an unusual series of events I recently ended up with my car locked with the fob inside, but I had the actual key. Only to find out the key would not open any of the door locks. I have had my vibe since new, so I know it is the correct key etc. I know at one point this key opened the locks, but it has been many years since I have done so.
Soaking the locks with WD40 did not help. I’m now concerned if I ever have a flat battery I won’t even be able to get into car to pop the hood. What else can I try to get the locks working again?
tpollauf

Re: Key won’t open door.

Post by tpollauf »

Been a couple days and you probably have this resolved by now. Can't offer much advice BUT I have had good experiences with opening up other cars identical to mine, with MY key. Never tested the Vibe key/cuts yet BUT several GM older truck/vans where with enough wiggling/vibrating at high rates while applying turning force would eventually unlock the vehicle.

This experience that you unfortunately had to encounter would be a good reminder for the rest of us to go out and verify that OUR key will manually open up our Vibes in the event we have a reason to get in under an emergency.

Let us know what, if anything, you had to do to get into the vehicle.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"