I stole a Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
EagleZebra

I stole a Vibe

Post by EagleZebra »

Well, not quite. I did get one pretty cheap at a local auction though.

I recently acquired a 2006 Vibe, Base model (5-speed). 150k miles, super clean (for what it is), only thing wrong was with the clutch.

I was unable to test drive before auction day, but I could start it up and "drive forward and backward an inch" (so generous of them.) Difficult to engage 1st, grinding when trying to engage Reverse.

After the auction, I had it towed to my mechanic and he found that the clutch disc was fried. And a bearing... (can't remember what it's called.)

He replaced those overnight, and voila! Good as new. He looked it over and said he couldn't find anything else wrong with it.

Anyway, thought I'd introduce myself/my car (haven't figured out how to post pics yet.) Maybe this will be helpful to others. I plan on visiting here frequently as I get to know my car better, and if/when it becomes symptomatic in the future.
'06 Vibe, Base, 1.8L, FWD, Manual
EagleZebra

Re: I stole a Vibe

Post by EagleZebra »

Dead-weight limit/recomendation.

(Wasn't sure where to post this/look for related topics...)

I'll be hauling tools and such for work. I'm used to driving SUV's which don't seem to mind the extra dead-weight, but is there a recommended dead-weight limit?

'06, Base, 1.8L, FWD.

I'm more concerned about long-term consequences. Don't want to prematurely wear out bearings, suspension, trans., etc.

Currently tools are in the vehicle. Debating whether a small trailer is better.

Recommendations for preventive maintenance in this case?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Thanks for joining us here. Where you from (update profile for us)? Also, a steal ?????? As in around $1500 or less at auction? Enlighten us as to how good of a deal did you really get! Thanks ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
EagleZebra

Post by EagleZebra »

I live in Coeur d'Alene, ID. (Just across the border from Spokane, WA).

My winning bid was $1300, out-the-door total cost was $1600. (Good thing I didn't know about the added fees before hand or I probably would have chickened out during bidding!)

I didn't feel comfortable doing the clutch fix myself, so that cost ~$800. That was honestly a better deal than I was planning for, considering I couldn't get a clear diagnosis prior to auction.

~$2400 for exactly what I wanted, and in better than Good condition, I tell myself it was a steal. :D

Getting twice the fuel economy than I'm used to makes this all the more valuable for me.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

EagleZebra wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:40 pm Dead-weight limit/recomendation.

(Wasn't sure where to post this/look for related topics...)

I'll be hauling tools and such for work. I'm used to driving SUV's which don't seem to mind the extra dead-weight, but is there a recommended dead-weight limit?

'06, Base, 1.8L, FWD.

I'm more concerned about long-term consequences. Don't want to prematurely wear out bearings, suspension, trans., etc.

Currently tools are in the vehicle. Debating whether a small trailer is better.

Recommendations for preventive maintenance in this case?
I regularly carried an extra 500 lbs besides myself in my Vibe, for 300,000 miles. Plus another 50,000 miles in this vibe.
EagleZebra

Post by EagleZebra »

That is reassuring! Thank you.

I'm not used to driving such a small car. Might take a while for me to grow (shrink) into it.
Bookworm wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:56 pm I regularly carried an extra 500 lbs besides myself in my Vibe, for 300,000 miles. Plus another 50,000 miles in this vibe.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

The Vibe seats 5. Let's take an average weight of 200lbs x 5= 1000 lbs - your own weight. Weight distribution could become an issue. i'd put one fairly heavy tool box into the passenger foot well.
You did very well and I had the same feeling about fuel cost when I replaced my Ford Windstar with my Vibe. The Vibe looked as if it tried to pay for itself at the pump.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

vibrologist wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am The Vibe seats 5. Let's take an average weight of 200lbs x 5= 1000 lbs - your own weight. Weight distribution could become an issue. i'd put one fairly heavy tool box into the passenger foot well.
I centered the heaviest weight over the rear axle. Not including my very tall, overweight wife in the passenger seat.

I've driven that sucker fully loaded (couldn't see out the back window, and had a car topper) from Detroit, to Mississippi, to Houston, with no real problems, even in the mountains.
wagonis

Post by wagonis »

Nice deal man, welcome to the boards fellow new member.
EagleZebra

Post by EagleZebra »

Thank you all for chiming in. I'm definitely gaining confidence with weight in this vehicle.
vibrologist wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am The Vibe seats 5. Let's take an average weight of 200lbs x 5= 1000 lbs - your own weight. Weight distribution could become an issue. i'd put one fairly heavy tool box into the passenger foot well.
You did very well and I had the same feeling about fuel cost when I replaced my Ford Windstar with my Vibe. The Vibe looked as if it tried to pay for itself at the pump.
Bookworm wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 pm
I centered the heaviest weight over the rear axle. Not including my very tall, overweight wife in the passenger seat.

I've driven that sucker fully loaded (couldn't see out the back window, and had a car topper) from Detroit, to Mississippi, to Houston, with no real problems, even in the mountains.
wagonis wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:10 am Nice deal man, welcome to the boards fellow new member.