Got a 2003 Vibe 225,000 miles.....

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
WeVibe2019

Got a 2003 Vibe 225,000 miles.....

Post by WeVibe2019 »

Was wondering what we need to do to keep this baby running. It needs new rotors and a left passanger caliper. All else is ok until we take it for a tune up. The under body guard is rusted bad and broke it rattles on the exhaust. Where can I find a new underbody guard?? :roll:
Thanks for allowing me to join.
andrewclaus

Re: Got a 2003 Vibe 225,000 miles.....

Post by andrewclaus »

That's probably a heat shield. Here's a Toyota Matrix parts catalog page: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... ator#58151 They call it a floor insulator. Use your vehicle data if you use that site.

If you don't have maintenance records, change AT fluid if applicable, and flush out and replace brake fluid if it's darker than light honey. Get suspension and steering checked at a tire shop.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

With the miles n there, I'd also invest in flushing your radiator. You don't have to pay someone else to do it, but do a full distilled water flush and fill with concentrate. Get the old crap out of there. It may never have been done.

You can do the rotors yourself, and the calipers may just need the pins cleaned and greased. A full brake pad kit tends to come with new boots and clips.
lavaman

Post by lavaman »

It's also been my experience with our vibes to go ahead & replace both calipers. I've been pushing the pistons back in calipers as long as I've been working on cars but for some reason on the vibes, one or the other would seize not long after I would replace the pads. I now have lifetime calipers on all 3 cars & just turn them in for new ones every time I replace the pads
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

- All fluids except for trans fluid ( I wouldnt take the chance if you dont know the history )
- clean MAF sensor and throttle body
- bottle of Techron fuel cleaner or 2 bottles if you can
-AC cabin filter
- check Spark plugs or just change them since they are out already
- check the serpentine belt
- check radiator hoses
- take it to Pep Boys and get the free charging system check

IF you plan to keep the car, I would recommend changing the fuel pump, water pump, radiator hoses and thermostat as a preventive maintenance. Any check engine light ?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 pmIF you plan to keep the car, I would recommend changing the fuel pump, water pump, radiator hoses and thermostat as a preventive maintenance
To me, it has always made sense to leave well enough alone on things like that (excluding possibly the radiator hoses).
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:50 pm - All fluids except for trans fluid ( I wouldnt take the chance if you dont know the history )
- clean MAF sensor and throttle body
- bottle of Techron fuel cleaner or 2 bottles if you can
-AC cabin filter
- check Spark plugs or just change them since they are out already
- check the serpentine belt
- check radiator hoses
- take it to Pep Boys and get the free charging system check

IF you plan to keep the car, I would recommend changing the fuel pump, water pump, radiator hoses and thermostat as a preventive maintenance. Any check engine light ?
I wouldn't touch the fuel pump or water pump unless you're seeing issues. If you're going to do a full flush on the radiator, then it's worth pulling the old hose, replace the thermostat, then replace the hose. I rarely replace the upper radiator hose, usually only the lower. (Lower is hottest, upper doesn't get that much abuse)
12knight

Post by 12knight »

So...I have 2003 GT that i bought new with 37km on it. It now has 530,000 km on it (320,000 miles). It has a heart of gold. I dont miss any oil changes ever and replace all fluids, hoses belts on a cycle. I am now plagued with oil leaks and plastic part breakage, and of course all the radio lights went ages ago. I continually look for parts and try to keep everything original. I am on my 3rd gear shifter knob as I have worn the leather off the two previous. The only major replacement i have completed are brakes twice, clutch once, ac condenser once, and of course quick struts twice. I am eliminating the oil leaks and replacing as many plastic parts as I can find (including the rear cup holders my dog broke) as much as I can. I will keep this car forever...and I am confident it will run forever.