The Cringe!!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
SlammedNiss

The Cringe!!

Post by SlammedNiss »

"Fifty-three foot trucks are not allowed on most New York City streets for a reason. I could sit here and explain to you what those reasons are, or you could just watch this horrendous video of a 53-foot truck eradicate this Toyota Matrix XR, knock out a hydrant, and otherwise lock down an entire Queens intersection:

This is just terrible for everyone involved, except for the narrator of this video, who, God bless his delightful New York accent—an increasingly rare find in this trash city—is enjoying the hell out of it. And you know what? Good for him. Live in New York with a car long enough, and something horrible will happen to you, too." - Jalopnik.com

https://jalopnik.com/oh-dear-god-no-1838104900

2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Transylvania

Re: The Cringe!!

Post by Transylvania »

Thanks for posting. Most certainly it's something else to watch this destruction... :roll:
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Oh, damn, looks like that wasn't even it's first swipe at the car. Lowered sitting on Tien springs too. Lowered car in the City, that's dedication.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

This happened a few blocks over from a member on the Matrix/HCMO group. Guess he said he sees this Matrix all the time, but has no idea who the owner is.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

OUCH !!!! That hurts :twisted: Makes me glad I have a garage & side drive to park my Vibe's where they are a bit safer!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

My question is how the hell was this driver not aware he was doing this?
2011 Rav4 Sport
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

SlammedNiss wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:28 pm My question is how the hell was this driver not aware he was doing this?
Well, obviously he wasn't a horribly experienced driver. If he was, he would have known that 53 foot trailers are verboten in a lot of northeastern cities, and not even ended up in Queens at all. Add that to the simple fact of relative mass, he probably wouldn't even have noticed shoving the Matrix around at all.

I watched someone try to change lanes right into the back tires of a flatbed trailer - and then chase the trucker down to try to blame him for doing it to her. I followed, and gave him my contact information, as well as let the woman know that she was definitely in the wrong. I then sent a statement to him by email an hour later in case she tried to contact his employers. Anyway - he never felt a thing, and the entire front fender of her car was just crushed. Her car _bounced_ when she tried to move into his lane, and the trailer didn't budge.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 pmWell, obviously he wasn't a horribly experienced driver. If he was, he would have known that 53 foot trailers are verboten in a lot of northeastern cities, and not even ended up in Queens at all. Add that to the simple fact of relative mass, he probably wouldn't even have noticed shoving the Matrix around at all.
While it's possible he never felt the Matrix, he should have been aware of his surroundings enough to know that he was never going to clear it. Then, on top of it all, he ran over the hydrant in front of him.
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SlammedNiss wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:32 pm
Bookworm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 pmWell, obviously he wasn't a horribly experienced driver. If he was, he would have known that 53 foot trailers are verboten in a lot of northeastern cities, and not even ended up in Queens at all. Add that to the simple fact of relative mass, he probably wouldn't even have noticed shoving the Matrix around at all.
While it's possible he never felt the Matrix, he should have been aware of his surroundings enough to know that he was never going to clear it. Then, on top of it all, he ran over the hydrant in front of him.
Right. And what about the fire hydrant he knocked off too?! Surely he felt THAT right in front of him. Sadly, it wasn't like GTA where it became a geyser after he hit that. :lol:
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

zbyers wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:16 amRight. And what about the fire hydrant he knocked off too?! Surely he felt THAT right in front of him. Sadly, it wasn't like GTA where it became a geyser after he hit that. :lol:
Yea, I was surprised there wasn't a geyser, especially considering in DDE's video yesterday that had a car that ran over a hydrant and water was spraying everywhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJmzBuc-aM&t=0s
2011 Rav4 Sport
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:16 am Right. And what about the fire hydrant he knocked off too?! Surely he felt THAT right in front of him. Sadly, it wasn't like GTA where it became a geyser after he hit that. :lol:
They can become geysers; it depends on the size of the pipe and the water pressure in the immediate area. I've seen them from 1 foot tall (Hydrant torn loose so the entire pipe was ruptured), to several feet tall where the hydrant was snapped off, but the pipe had a clean end.

No, he probably _didn't_ feel the hydrant until he'd actually broken it off. Moving slowly, the torque from those engines is immense. Breaking the hydrant (slowly) is probably less effort than dragging that trailer. Once it snapped, the release of tension probably got his attention.

I didn't see the entire video clip, however, so I'm making WAGs.