My heart is broken

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
mayflyaway

My heart is broken

Post by mayflyaway »

Hi Y'all.
I know this would sound a little crazy to most people. But you all have vibes so maybe you'll understand.
My transmission died.
which means my car has died.
the odo reads 197,407
Value of the car in running condition: approx $2500.
Cost of used transmission with 100k+ miles and install: approx $1800.
I need a super reliable vehicle for work, and with 200k miles I can't call the Ponticorn that anymore. So - I guess Im selling it. I already bought a used low mileage prius. But its not the Ponticorn and every time I look at it, I want to cry.

I love my Pontiac Vibe and my heart is so sad that I won't have it anymore. Anyway. Maybe some of you will understand.
Bookworm

Re: My heart is broken

Post by Bookworm »

Yes, unfortunately, I understand when you have to replace a car due to the repairs being almost as much as replacing the car itself. It's an easier choice if you can't do the repairs yourself - I had to make a similar judgement on my first Vibe (297,000), where I could _do_ most of the repairs, but I couldn't justify the time, as I can't ever be certain of enough uninterrupted time to do major repairs.

My wife's friend just had two places quote her $5,000 to replace the head gasket and radiator in her 2009 Toyota Corolla. Same engine as our Vibes (1.8L). Frankly, they're all trying to cheat her, as it shouldn't be more than a $1,800 job. (15 hours at $75 per hour, plus $200 for parts, plus some overhead)
zbyers

Re: My heart is broken

Post by zbyers »

I recently sold my '03 GT due to rust. It needs all new suspension, too. Between those repairs, I would have invested over double the value of the car.. Made more sense to sell it, and buy an '04 GT with lower miles for nearly the same cost.

Hope you can find another Vibe worthwhile purchasing to have as a back up vehicle.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe