Can the 1st gen AWD tow? You bet!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
oscarjm

Can the 1st gen AWD tow? You bet!

Post by oscarjm »

I have a 2004 AWD Vibe that I have owned since 68,000 miles (130,000+ now). I installed a Curt Class II hitch soon after purchasing it, and have used it to haul a 5x8 utility trailer loaded with construction debris, yard waste, and most often, firewood. I also tow a 14 ft. aluminum boat on occasion. While I could definitely tell I was pulling a load, the Vibe always has towed quite well.

My family of four planned a 3,200 road trip to the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Black Hills, and while we enjoy tent camping, we decided it was time to look for a pop up camper. With the Vibe's 1,500 lb tow capacity, we were limited to pop ups with an 8 ft. box. I read every post in every forum I could find about whether the Vibe and similar small 4 cylinder cars would pull a pop up- particularly in mountainous areas, and most folks seemed doubtful, although at least one forum member on genvibe has admitted to towing a trailer over the Vibe's tow capacity, but for short distances in flat areas. I wanted to prove that my efficient and economical 15 year old 127,000 mile daily driver could take us on a vacation that most people think they need an SUV or truck for.

After a lot of searching and after looking at quite a few train wrecks in person, we lucked upon a 2003 Jayco Qwest 8u camper. It is the perfect size for our family, with two full size beds, a dinette that converts into another full size bed, A/C, an awning, a sink, a 2 burner gas stove, and (now) a fridge. The unloaded weight of the trailer is 1,165 lbs with an approximate hitch weight of 160 lbs. While I know that this exceeds the Vibe's hitch weight of 150 lbs, I thought the vibe was up to the task, and I planned to pack the car as light as possible to stay under the GVWR of the Vibe to account for the hitch weight. Per the door sticker, we are limited to 850 lbs of people+gear, and without telling you how this is divided up, after accounting for the hitch weight, we had 300 lbs left to spare for gear.

While the pop up was in great shape and ready to travel, I was not going to take it on the trip without electric trailer brakes. I installed a Dexter axle complete with brakes, along with a brake controller for the vibe and new wiring for the 7-way trailer connection. I found a used 3-way fridge on Craigslist and replaced the icebox in the pop up. For those of you who aren't familiar- the 3-way fridge runs off of propane, 110v, or 12vDC. Given that our Vibes are equipped with power inverters, I figured the alternator was up to the task of keeping the fridge cool on DC through the trailer wiring while in transit. And it worked perfectly except for 1 hiccup (later).

Preparing for the trip gave me a good excuse to do some preventative maintenance, as described in another post. In short, I added a B&M tranny cooler, replaced all struts and springs, replaced the tranny fluid with synthetic, changed the engine oil to synthetic, and replaced my tires. I made sure the car was in excellent mechanical order before the trip.

So, with only a rubbermaid of clothes and some odds and ends in the car, and the rest of the gear in the popup, we set out on our journey. Aside from a blowout on a brand new trailer tire, and a jump start from my portable jumper after spending too long with the fridge running off the battery at Old Faithful (1 hour is ok, 1.5 hours is not), everything worked flawlessly.

As for performance, we live at about 900 ft above sea level, and the highest we got was 10,950 ft. So, we definitely gained a lot of elevation. We went up and down a lot of mountain passes pulling the trailer. With the electric brakes, stopping was never a problem. Because bias-ply trailer tires should never exceed 65 mph, that was my top speed. I kept it out of overdrive on hills, but let it shift into overdrive on the flat portions of the interstates. While we definitely struggled on the mountain passes, we slowed down to about 50 mpg on long climbs, sometimes requiring a shift into 2nd gear. If we made a stop on a climb for a scenic overlook, we were usually only able to get up to 35 mph before gaining speed as the slope decreased.

But here is the thing- everyone else pulling a camper had the same issues. I think most people tend to buy the biggest camper their vehicle will tow, and even semis struggle in the mountains (I know because I passed a few).

Long story short? As long as you are careful, and properly equip your Vibe and trailer, I wouldn't hesitate to tow 1,500 lbs with a little econobox. Did I mention that the worst mileage I got while towing with my AWD Vibe was 19, with an average of 23 mpg? I guarantee that the other RVs and tow vehicles paid more at the pump (although with the AWD's tiny gas tank, I definitely stopped more often).

A pic of the camper (post fridge install, pre-axle replacement):
ImageIMG_7093

Some pics of the Vibe and the camper in their natural environment:
ImageIMG_7167

ImageIMG_7185

ImageIMG_7612

ImageIMG_7620 and

ImageIMG_7455

This one cracks me up- many places in Yellowstone have dedicated RV parking, and, well, I couldn't fit in a regular spot...

ImageIMG_7363
Last edited by oscarjm on Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
zbyers

Re: Can the 1st gen AWD tow? You bet!

Post by zbyers »

Nice pictures, and great write up... I agree they can tow decently well. My '07 FWD pulled a 70's Bethany Coralette popup about 10k miles. Our popup weighs ~900lbs. We went from PA, to Badlands, Mount Rushmore, through the Rockies, to the Grand Canyon, to White Sands, and then back home on a three week trip. Other than changing all fluids, the only addition I did to mine was adding a trans cooler, knowing I was going to be dealing with 100+ degree temperatures in AZ/NM. We actually hit about 130 degree temps while we were out there; and the car didn't struggle a bit except coming up/down steep grades through the Rockies and in the desert, due to the temps.

'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Very nice write-up, and a good set of pictures.

I've thought about adding a trailer hitch to my Vibe, mostly to take the place of needing to borrow a truck or similar for hauling a couple of light but large items (such as a mattress). I've never done it.

I guess I should go through the forum and look for the "how to add a trailer hitch to your Vibe" section.
deegee

Post by deegee »

I'd love to find a little pop up tent trailer for mine. In the mean time, I'll load up the car with the camping gear and load the trailer with a couple hundred pounds of seasoned cherry wood for the fire and my 650GS to go exploring on.
Attachments
DSC_4154cropped.jpg
DSC_4154cropped.jpg (614.88 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm Very nice write-up, and a good set of pictures.

I've thought about adding a trailer hitch to my Vibe, mostly to take the place of needing to borrow a truck or similar for hauling a couple of light but large items (such as a mattress). I've never done it.

I guess I should go through the forum and look for the "how to add a trailer hitch to your Vibe" section.
Pretty simple... When I reinstall mine in the coming days, I'll snap some pics and make a post for you. If I remember correctly, depending on the hitch set up, it is 4-6 M12x1.25 bolts, about 45 or 55mm long. They're great 8 bolts, or whatever that metric equivalent is. Being a Texas car, it's unlikely you'd have to chase the threads into the unibody, but I will have to spend some time cleaning them up and chasing the. Muffler can be in the way, so you'll need some long extensions. Outside of that, it's easy.

Tow wiring... They do offer plug-n-play kits. One with a power wire you run to the battery, and another without. I'd say go for the one without. I have the powered version, while the rest of my family does not, and we haven't noticed a single difference in capabilities; just in cost.

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:35 am
Bookworm wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 pm Very nice write-up, and a good set of pictures.

Pretty simple... When I reinstall mine in the coming days, I'll snap some pics and make a post for you. If I remember correctly, depending on the hitch set up, it is 4-6 M12x1.25 bolts, about 45 or 55mm long. They're great 8 bolts, or whatever that metric equivalent is. Being a Texas car, it's unlikely you'd have to chase the threads into the unibody, but I will have to spend some time cleaning them up and chasing the. Muffler can be in the way, so you'll need some long extensions. Outside of that, it's easy.

Tow wiring... They do offer plug-n-play kits. One with a power wire you run to the battery, and another without. I'd say go for the one without. I have the powered version, while the rest of my family does not, and we haven't noticed a single difference in capabilities; just in cost.
I'd definitely go for without. I have no intentions of adding extra brakes or anything else. This would just be a "I need to transport a mattress and box spring 20 miles" type unit. I've found 4x8 trailers pretty cheaply on craigslist. I guess I'll do some looking at hitches and figure out what'll fit best. The Curt 122212 mentioned in another thread has been discontinued. I don't know if the 13900 is close enough or not.. I suspect not.

I truly despise companies that will discontinue a model and not even ATTEMPT to link to whatever the replacement is supposed to be.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:16 am I'd definitely go for without. I have no intentions of adding extra brakes or anything else. This would just be a "I need to transport a mattress and box spring 20 miles" type unit. I've found 4x8 trailers pretty cheaply on craigslist. I guess I'll do some looking at hitches and figure out what'll fit best. The Curt 122212 mentioned in another thread has been discontinued. I don't know if the 13900 is close enough or not.. I suspect not.

I truly despise companies that will discontinue a model and not even ATTEMPT to link to whatever the replacement is supposed to be.
I believe I picked up Curt 12334 for my Vibe.

MikeReilly

Post by MikeReilly »

We maxed out our towing capacity on a recent trip and probably took off some life span on the vehicle as a result, but it handled well and didn't cause any problems as long as we watched the tongue weight and didn't let the load get too far back. We're looking at getting a dedicated tow vehicle for the future, however, as I'd like to be able to not worry as much about staying under the maximum tow capacity of 1500lb.
vibe with camper.jpg
vibe with camper.jpg (330.71 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

That is a beautiful picture. South Dakota?

MikeReilly

Post by MikeReilly »

zbyers wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:19 am That is a beautiful picture. South Dakota?
If you are talking to me, no, it isn't South Dakota. It's Playa Juncalito just South of Loreto in Baja California Sur.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

This is cool, I wouldn't have thunk it. I have a 1st Gen AWD and know that even when new, it only gets around 120hp. On an old, worn engine is bound to be even less power, right? I don't know that much about engines but it stands to reason, they lose hp as they age. I know *I* have lost a little hp lol

Since I've been researching heavily, I'll pass this alone from senior mechanics lore - The advice is to never drive your car in water deep enough to reach the catalytic converter, the sudden cooling can really damage it, although it may not be immediately apparent.

I can't tell from the OP photo, but it looks deep enough to be a concern.

disclaimer: unless you need to drive through shallow water to save your life or others, in that case, drive on through!!!
2006 AWD, 207k