Time to part out my vibe. What should I keep?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pwyu1969

Time to part out my vibe. What should I keep?

Post by pwyu1969 »

Ok, so my 03 vibe, 220k, 5-Speed manual, has mostly died. Sparing you the long story, it’s worth more in parts than it is to try to sell on FB.

And while I currently own an 05, 06, and 09, the 03 that has died was my first (bought in ‘15) that got this vibe madness started... also all I own are manual trans.

I’m inclined to pick it to the bones like a thanksgiving turkey and haul what’s left to salvage yard. I’m also a teacher so I have the summer to pick it apart. I have a shed with some room, but not enough room to store everything... I just need some advice as to what to keep? (Already put the alloys on my 06 for steelies).

Here are the vitals. The engine is ‘meh.’ I spun a lower bearing and fixed it, but at 220k... and the 5-speed manual synchros are going. Clutch is 50k miles old. Windshield is shattered and the hood is bent up a bit. A/C is no good.

Here are goods: just put in a new starter, and rear drum brakes, drums and all. Catalytic converters is worth something. I’ll yank those. What are other ‘high value’ parts that I might anticipate needing for my 05 and 06?
Bookworm

Re: Time to part out my vibe. What should I keep?

Post by Bookworm »

Console cap, if you have the double lid.

Seat release knobs. (back seats)

Inverter

Radio (if lights still work)

Roof rack cross bars, if you have them.

Spare (if it's not rotten. Even if it is, the wheel itself costs a ton, the spare costs about as much as a normal tire)

the driver seat. That way you can rebuild a new one on a seat outside of the car. Also, the crank knob on the '03 is much better than the pump of the '07.

air recirculator door motor - the one that constantly breaks gear teeth.

12 volt socket from the bottom of the console - if one of your newer ones doesn't have it.

Coin slot from the dash - can be put in place of one of the blanks.

Starter motor.

Catalytic converter, back (if you've replaced it. If it's original, don't bother)

Floor mats

Coil packs
Bookworm

Re: Time to part out my vibe. What should I keep?

Post by Bookworm »

Oh, yeah

Battery, alternator. You can use the battery as a core exchange, if nothing else. Same with alternator.

belt tensioner, if you want to get that deep into the engine.

Fuel pump is buried in the tank, under the back seat.

spare wheel tools. (jack, nuts, lug wrench) (Don't toss the steel wheels. Those make fantastic spares)