Howl noise up front

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Mustang52

Howl noise up front

Post by Mustang52 »

I’ve got this annoying howl noise coming from the front on my car. It’s a 2003 vibe awd auto. The noise is only audible once you are about 35 mph and on the throttle. Once you let off the pedal the noise goes away. I thought it was the front bearing so I replaced them but the noise is still there. Any suggestions on where to look next?
zbyers

Re: Howl noise up front

Post by zbyers »

How's the transmission fluid and level? Or Rear diff? Is there any difference when turning one way or the other. Have you checked the CV axles? Does it make the noise in reverse?

tbh, there really isn't enough info for us to try to diagnose.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Mustang52

Re: Howl noise up front

Post by Mustang52 »

Mustang52 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:11 am I’ve got this annoying howl noise coming from the front on my car. It’s a 2003 vibe awd auto. The noise is only audible once you are about 35 mph and on the throttle. Once you let off the pedal the noise goes away. I thought it was the front bearing so I replaced them but the noise is still there. Any suggestions on where to look next?
The tranny fluid looked ok to me. I haven't checked the rear. There is no difference when turning, only when giving it gas. i haven't noticed any noise in reverse. the noise doesn't become audible until at least 35mph. i did put a go pro along the rear diff and up by the driveshaft and the noise got louder going towards front of car. im going to put it in the engine bay to see if i can get an more generalized area.