AC recirculate gear repair, Orlando, FL

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
coppens1

AC recirculate gear repair, Orlando, FL

Post by coppens1 »

Dear Orlando Area Vibe Owners: I can't find anyone in the Orlando Area to replace my AC recirculate gear. :cry: They don't seem to know what I am talking about. Can anyone in the Orlando area recommend a mechanic who has done this job?
Bookworm

Re: AC recirculate gear repair, Orlando, FL

Post by Bookworm »

Are you talking about the motor for the recirculate door?
coppens1

Post by coppens1 »

thanks for replying. No, sir, it is a part called 'HVAC A/C Heater Blend Door Actuator' that needs to be replaced. The part controls whether you get outside air or inside air for your Air Conditioner and heater. JC
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Jumping in here to help out. Coppens meant to answer "YES" but they're uncertain and confused with the terminology. Below is the pic of a new circulator door motor, AND the opened up defective one (you can see the broken plastic teeth, which is that click-click-click that we hear when it is trying to move. Several of us here at GenVibe have made this simple repair ourselves. A 15 minute job if you're experienced and an hour at most if never done it before. Small hands/fingers are helpful! Good luck!

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
coppens1

Post by coppens1 »

Dear tpollauf , exactly!. That's the best photo I have seen of the problem. Do you know of anyone in the Orlando area that can replace the part if I supply it? I just had a hip operation so I am not nimble enough to do the work myself. JC
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Unfortunately I'm not from that area, although I was just down your way last month at Disney's yacht & beach club for conferences. Hopefully other members near you can chime in & help.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I don't know anyone in that area either.

If you know a woman or teen with a narrow arm, it's not difficult to replace - it just is hard to work in the space. Thumb socket wrenches are okay to help.
dougreed

Post by dougreed »

Suggestion: Take off the motor. With it removed, plug it back in. Run the motor 180 degrees. This may bypass broken teeth. Add a "momentary contact push-button switch" inline. I just let mine hang loose inside the glove box. If you can, find a nice place to put it in the dash or an empty switch cover by the dash light dimmer! Anyway, when you push the recirc on or off, then you have to push the new button. When the door gets to the position you want, release the button & NO MORE POWER to the motor & no more chipping the teeth. That's what I did after my NEW motor started clicking! Now there is no more clicking & I have full control of open - close - or anywhere in between!
coppens1

Post by coppens1 »

Dear dougreed, that is a great idea. It eliminates the problem all together.

I finally found someone to fix my AC recirculate gear. I bought the part for $15, and had it installed for $75, total cost: $90. This is a useless, unneeded repair, due to a poor design feature.

Someone at Pontiac or Toyota should have redesigned this part years ago. I will have to replace mine again in 100,000 miles. JC
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

coppens1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 amI finally found someone to fix my AC recirculate gear. I bought the part for $15, and had it installed for $75, total cost: $90. This is a useless, unneeded repair, due to a poor design feature.
Is there a reason you couldn't do it yourself? It really isn't difficult by any means. I feel you got hosed by the person who did it for you, even if that is only one hour worth of labor.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I don't think the Toyota uses the same actuator.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 pm I don't think the Toyota uses the same actuator.
Correct. This issue is only present on a Vibe. Due to the major flaws of the Vibe (radio, HVAC) the matrix is inherently more reliable. :lol:

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

zbyers wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:01 am
Bookworm wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:11 pm I don't think the Toyota uses the same actuator.
Correct. This issue is only present on a Vibe. Due to the major flaws of the Vibe (radio, HVAC) the matrix is inherently more reliable. :lol:
Right. Because Heaven knows, those parts are absolutely critical to safe operation.
coppens1

Post by coppens1 »

If the recirc gear problem is only present on a Vibe, the GM product, then it will never get fixed. We just have to put up with it.

I didn't do the repair myself because I am 76 years old, and can't get into tight spaces.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

coppens1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 am If the recirc gear problem is only present on a Vibe, the GM product, then it will never get fixed. We just have to put up with it.

I didn't do the repair myself because I am 76 years old, and can't get into tight spaces.
Understandable. I had it happen twice in 330,000 miles, so it's really not as common as the complaints might make it out to be.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I agree with bookworm, it's not nearly as common as one may think. also understand as to why you didn't do it. it is definitely a paint to reach up there to do it.

coppens1

Post by coppens1 »

Meanwhile, if it weren't for the pun, I would say my Vibe just keeps on tickin' along.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

coppens1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:06 am Meanwhile, if it weren't for the pun, I would say my Vibe just keeps on tickin' along.
My Vibe is just rattling along.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Maybe this question is obvious to others but I have to ask it. Does the Toyota actuator fit/work on the Vibe?
2003 Base Vibe
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

KingKrab65 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:44 am
Maybe this question is obvious to others but I have to ask it. Does the Toyota actuator fit/work on the Vibe?
No, the Matrix/Corolla use an entirely different HVAC system. The Vibe used the GM system (hence the issue).