"Baby Come Back"

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Caretaker

"Baby Come Back"

Post by Caretaker »

Baby come back, any kind of fool could see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just can't live without you

My Vibe is seeing the world; unfortunately it isn't with me. After handing over my car to a barely english speaking gentleman who showed up at my door, I still have yet to take delivery, leaving me stranded for a third day. The driver shows up at my door, wearing no identifiable uniform, not introducing himself, yet telling me he is here to pick up my car. We walk out to the driveway where I do not see any car transport truck. Asking him about this, he tells me that he walked from where the truck is parked, leaving it on the nearest wide street. He begins to take extensive photos of my car, as I take pictures of him and his face. After he is done, he has me sign for the photos that will be sent to my email and the company website. I then tell him that I will drive him over to his truck and walk back home myself. No name, no uniform, no paperwork and this guy wants me to just had over my key because he took some photos on his phone???? Well his truck was where he said it was and was partially filled with other cars. I turned the car over to him and watched him the entire time he loaded it on the double deck truck. He was under repeated instruction to NOT deliver the car until I get to FL on the 27th. On the 25th, he gives me a call and says that my car is ready for pickup. After repeated calls to the management company, I end up being punished for the driver not following instructions and now waiting for his return trip up from the Miami area. Reportedly, I will get my car this afternoon after 3 days of backpacking back and forth to the grocery store to bring home something to eat. Nice of them to get my car to FL in a timely fashion, but thanks for nothing. What a goat rope !!!!
SeattleJeremy

Re: "Baby Come Back"

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Love the opening of the post, thank you.

Truck drivers gotta keep on truckin'. Hopefully you'll get your car back soon :D .
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I was in college back when "Player" had that hit song! Good help is hard to come by these days. You're probably lucky that you get to see your car at all. Didn't know where that story was going BUT it could have ended up pretty bad. I take it you arranged this moving company to transport your Vibe? Are they reputable and been around a long time?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I went with Shipacardirect.com which is the most used car shipping company in the US. They, like every other company are brokers only. They all subcontract out to the sleezebag carriers. I ended up getting my car the other night (9:30) after being told by the driver that it would be delivered at 5, then at 8.......The reason he was so late............HE LOST MY KEY. The moron had to call a locksmith to cut a new key; that couldn't have been cheap. The driver hands me a generic key, which while it works, doesn't compensate me for the loss of an OEM toyota key. I have filed a complaint and claim with Shipacardirect. I had to drive up to a local Toyota and GMC dealership to get quotes. If you thought dealerships and used car dealers were slimebags, give the car shipping companies a try. :evil:
GORGO

Post by GORGO »

Sorry about your lost key. My Vette has a chip in the Ign key.Without the correct chip it wont start.
The ignition key has a little "chip" in it. This is a resistor "pellet." There are 15 possible resistances, therefore 15 different types of keys each with a different resistance. This reduces the likelihood of a potential thief from having the correct resistance resistor on hand.
Previously known as,TONY-TAT2 /GODZILLA
09 Base bought new. 08 Pontiac G6 the Wifes bought new. 93 Vette 40th Ruby Red Anniversary Rag top 6spd.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

You don't have spares? The first thing I do with a vehicle is make sure I have at least one spare for opening doors, and another that lives at home. In fact, I don't tend to use the factory key at all - I leave that for making new spares.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Caretaker wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 am I went with Shipacardirect.com which is the most used car shipping company in the US. They, like every other company are brokers only. They all subcontract out to the sleezebag carriers. I ended up getting my car the other night (9:30) after being told by the driver that it would be delivered at 5, then at 8.......The reason he was so late............HE LOST MY KEY. The moron had to call a locksmith to cut a new key; that couldn't have been cheap. The driver hands me a generic key, which while it works, doesn't compensate me for the loss of an OEM toyota key. I have filed a complaint and claim with Shipacardirect. I had to drive up to a local Toyota and GMC dealership to get quotes. If you thought dealerships and used car dealers were slimebags, give the car shipping companies a try. :evil:
When I got my Vibe, it came with one key and and one fob. The key was well worn and basically rounded but it worked. The first thing I did was go to the GM dealership (a.k.a. stealership) and have a new one cut based on the VIN number. It took about an hour for them to look it up, get the proper blank, actually cut the key. If I remember correctly, I paid close to $60 for the privilege of their services. After making sure it worked while I was in their parking lot, I promptly went to Home Depot and made three more keys for about $5 total.
2003 Base Vibe
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Man, that sounds like a total nightmare. Glad your baby came back! hopefully all gets resolved to your satisfaction.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Of course I had an extra key. The car comes with two OEM keys with buttons upon new-car-delivery from the dealership. I'm not sure what good that does when a shipper loses your key and can't move the car to accommodate other vehicles on the transport truck in route thus delaying arrival, nor is a generic key a substitute for an OEM one with buttons. Anyway, it doesn't cost $66 to get a new key "cut" at the dealer unless it is one that is generic and doesn't have the open/close/panic buttons on them. It is closer to $350 for the key and having it programmed. The offending company claims they are mailing me a check for the cost per the Toyota estimate I got at the dealership. I'll wait for the check to clear. I now envision a truck driver simply tossing our keys up on the dash as they deliver 6 cars across the country, adding new cars as they drop off other ones along the way. Our keys become like loose change to the driver. They are eventually found with half eaten lollypops underneath a seat as we vacuum for the first time in 7 months.